PDA

View Full Version : Weekend ride reports...

Tom
09-24-2007, 05:47 AM
I'll start, hoping I didn't miss the real one somebody else started.

Saturday: Hooked up with BBDave's 68 miler over to Middleburgh and back, rode down and home for 75 mile total. Excellent group, 9 total some I knew some I didn't. A classic case of don't let appearances fool you: 8 people all high zoot, full bike kit, the works, and one guy on a green Trek 1200 with a triple, baggy khaki shorts, a T-shirt three sizes too big for him, toestraps and I swear I am not making this up, boat shoes. I look at him and think to myself that this ride could take a while.

Wrong again, bucko. That guy was a rider. Easily as strong as anybody else in the group. It goes to show... make no assumptions.

Sunday: Crisp, clear, great 40 miler by myself. Early fall. Leaves just starting to turn down here, but only up on the ridge. Apple orchards just swarming with people.

And you all?

stevep
09-24-2007, 06:28 AM
65 sat w/ the local blockheads, pretty fast but season end fast.

sun the tour of boston w/ the serotta blockheads for at least some of the time...45 miles or so we were told.

beautiful weekend here.

djg
09-24-2007, 06:45 AM
See my "fast one day, slow the next" thread. No riding on Saturday for me -- Yom Kippur. Did the Charm City Cross race Sunday.

Ti Designs
09-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Saturday: Got into a group ride on my fixed gear. It's only my third ride back on the Surley, so I don't have the leg speed to hang going down hill and I don't have the strength to hang going up. There were also no stops for seafood - what was I thinking???

Sunday: Hub on Wheels, the tour of Boston. I joined a bunch of other forum members and SteveP for 45 miles of bike paths, back roads and one limited access highway which was closed off for the morning (that's how you know cycling is making progress). I was on the tandem with my girlfriend. I tried to hold onto SteveP's jersey the whole time, but he gets his stuff at the super discount place so the rear pocket ripped off in my hand and Steve got away. I then let Barbara do all the work, and I had a great time.

Fixed
09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
bro 2 hours on the fix sat 3 hour on the fix sunday
droped 2 cats on road bikes sunday getting stronger
cheers

davids
09-24-2007, 07:02 AM
I'll recap the whole week:

Tuesday: The last 6:15 am departure for the season. After having to yell at two cars, I realized the fault was the lighting... No one else was reckless enough to show up for the ride, so I did 26 miles through the Blue Hills on my own.

Thursday: Leaving later means fewer miles. I rode 20 miles, solo again.

Saturday: Yeah, it was Yom Kippur. But as a non-faster I wasn't worried about a quick ride before services. As a matter of fact the exercise helped me focus on my atonement. Yeah, that's it... 30 miles, half with a larger group, and half with two others, as the larger group continued off towards Taunton for a longer ride. The pace was moderate and the morning beautiful.

Sunday: Blockheads in Boston (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=393822&postcount=51). No jersey grabbing for me. Barbara and I talked about contemporary art, and let Ed pedal. 48 miles by the time I got back to my car in Brookline.

cs124
09-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Thurs: 17km commute to work, 32km commute home.

Sat: 75km of sharp hills. One of our group, the last one to the top, got attacked by a magpie so vicious it actually drew blood. My pal has now committed to work on his climbing, finally believing the old adage about safety in numbers.

Sun: No ride. Swimming lessons with junior. He's the next Thorpedo I tell ya!

Mon: 17km commute to work, beautiful spring morning, scored a green at the light that is always red, spoke to a nice lady with a dog, nailed my favourite corner and didn't have to queue up for the shower. PM, 45km commute to the in-laws for lasagne... :D Must remember to re-charge the lights.

Too Tall
09-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Sat - ride to rowing, row, ride home, ride to adv. pilates mat class, ride home...woo woo :)

Sun - MASSIVE shop ride with 80 of my closest friends than extended it with one of my coached riders + a HS kid from my rowing club + a teammate and some dutch guy with big legs for about 80 miles. Fun, I love this time of yr.

Bruce K
09-24-2007, 08:08 AM
See posts under Tour du Bivalve and Hub on Wheels in Events section.

About 83 miles total with a great group of folks from this forum.

Today is recovery day with the local club's (ECV) Monday night ride and tomorrow I am taking my wife down to Cape Cod for her first ride on a bikeway her first attempt at a ride in excess of 10 miles. Given her health issues this could be the highlight of the season.

BK

J.Greene
09-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Sat: 2 hour ride with many race like efforts included.

Sun: 3.5 hour ride in the hills. Hard, very hard.

JG

wasfast
09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I ride Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday 52 weeks a year. Had to be out of town on business Thursday so missed that.

Saturday: I had wanted to finish the end of summer with another century (4 this year), thinking I'd ride Peach of a Century in Salem OR. Rather than drive 3 hours and spend $20, I did a solo century locally. 103 miles, 4300 ft of climbing, 5 1/2 hours. I was fine until the last 10 miles, then the bottom was disappearing.

Sunday: Rode 20 miles pretty easy. Butt sore as well as a couple new saddle sores from yesterday. Flatted 3 miles from home. HATE THAT!

Bill Bove
09-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Sat. The usual Saturday morning group ride/training race/world championships. Stayed in the pack for most of the ride, closed a few gaps and made the break for the final sprint. finished last in the sprint but ahead of most of the group/field.

Sun. Rode around Lake Okeechobee with a group of 15 and one guy driving a van full of Coke and bananas. The state is paving a path on the levee surrounding the lake, they have eighty miles completed so far so we used that when we could and the surface roads where the path isn't done yet. 115 miles total. Very humid, drenched before we went five miles. Then it rained for a while, but it was a wrm rain. Then it stopped raining and it got even more humid. Saw alligators out the wazoo, a bald eagle with a snake in it's talons, a couple of deer and a whole shipload of rednecks. Real rednecks, rednecks that Deliverence was based on. All in all a nice ride, I hope the trench foot from all the rain clears up quickley though.

stevep
09-24-2007, 08:50 AM
a bald eagle with a snake in it's talons, .

that was brucek with a popsicle.

Ginger
09-24-2007, 09:01 AM
I rode Tuesday and Friday. Spent some time on the Emerald Necklace around Cleveland with a buddy of mine. Who knew Cleveland had hills?
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2104.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2114.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2123.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2142.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2132.jpg

I didn't ride this weekend. I was working for the club selling T-shirts and raffle tickets at the KTR double 'cross weekend here in lovely Michigan.

I *did* hug Jonathan Page when he pulled my raffle ticket for the grand prize in the raffle. (Is that close enough to miles?) He's such a hottie and a really nice guy besides. I'll post up a couple pics from the weekend later...

What I want to know is why if I ride all day without sunscreen, I don't get any sunburn. But if I spectate at a race with SPF 45 on and reapply and stay in the shade...I wind up with a wicked sunburn? What really sucks is having a sunburn and a cold at the same time. (yes, that's me)

Kevan
09-24-2007, 09:05 AM
in front of a repair stand. No shop will ever hire me.

Sunday I got out for a relaxing 30 mile ride, most of it on a bike path even.

Ginger
09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Bike path?

We didn't ride the bike path, but I thought the star wars treatment was cool:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2136.jpg

And the leaves are just starting to change
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2134.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Elcleveland2007/ClevelandIMG_2156.jpg

znfdl
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
The weather in the Boston area was quintessential New Englad fall wether. Sunny, blue skies with a cool ocean breeze.

Saturday: Tour de Bivalve: 39Cross and I left his house to meet up with HardlyRob and BruceK. 30Cross and I ride the same bike size, with the same saddle height and stem length, so I let him ride my Vanilla while I rode the Spectrum. It was about 15 miles from 39Cross' house to HardlyRob's house. 39 took me on some beatiful back roads to Topsfield Mass. A HardlyRob's we had bagels and other refreshments, prior to heading ou for Fried Clams. Along the ride, we stopped at the Village Restaurant where we met Old School, where he served us fresh clams and onion rings (best small belly clams on the ride). The ride went by many salt marshes and had some great ocean views. 39 and I ended doing slightly more than a metric.

Sunday: Hub on Wheels, 40 miles of fun. Had a great time meeting and riding with many new forumites. Had a especially good riding time with the tandem couple Ti Designs and Barb. Just love trading pulls with fast tandems.

biker222
09-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Saturday: Did the Hastings Hilly Hundred distance was 167km with very little flats 6000 ft climbing over the course. We were 10 in our group and stayed together until the last 40km to the finish. Total ride time 5 hours and 52 minutes, avg speed 28.9km.

Sunday: Rode 30km to the start of club ride. Completed our club reliability ride were we ride a 88km course and pick a time to finish it in. I joined the 2hr 45min group that had an avg speed of 32km/hr. Our group came in at 2hr 41 min with an approx avg speed of just over 33km/hr. Then I rode the final 30 km home on my own. This was supposed to a recovery ride but being one of the horses of our group I ended up doing about 50% of the pulling.

Monday: Taking the day off the bike, back at on Tuesday. :)

davids
09-24-2007, 10:56 AM
MA,

Cleveland Metroparks - Cool! They are a gem. Boston brags about its "Emerald Necklace" but Cleveland's is much more extensive and a lot nicer overall. I grew up about 500' from Big Creek Parkway (which got a mention on "30 Rock" last season, in the storyline about moving to Cleveland. Warmed my heart, it did...)

http://www.clemetparks.com/images/2005map.jpg

I'll be in Cleveland for about 10 days in October, staying a half-mile from the Rocky River reservation. The Nove is accompanying me, and I expect to spend some time riding from the Lake Erie to the Cuyahoga and back. I hope I get some weather as nice as yours!

39cross
09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
What znfdl said, as I had the pleasure of his company all weekend...but from my perspective, what a treat it was to ride his Vanilla. That's not just plain old Vanilla, I call it mint-chocolate chip...cool and sweet. :cool:
I couldn't persuade him to leave it behind for another couple weeks though.

rpm
09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Saturday, did the Headwaters 100 past the Mississippi headwaters in Itasca State Park. Gorgeous day, the best I've ever had there. Full fall colors mixed with the tall pines, lotsa lakes and lotsa rollers, great food at the rest stops, terrific hospitality, 700 riders, and headwinds for only about 15 miles. Oh, how I wish I had taken my camera with me--you all would see why I think this is one of the nicest rides in the country.

Kahuna
09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Did one of my favorite rides on the planet yesterday. Lower Kula to the Tedeschi vineyard out-n--back, then a loop heading up the upper Kula highway past Haleakala crater road and back down to lower Kula. It's only 30 miles but has lots of climbing and afterwards you're tired.

The first climb is an 8 miler that starts at the winery and ends at a little cafe called Grandma's. We like to time ourselves and yesterday I beat my personal best at 24:44. I wasn't even maxed so my latest training regimen must be working.

Anyone visiting Maui should do that ride. The smooth roads, lack of traffic, utterly spectacular views, and the picture perfect weather make you feel like you've found heaven on earth.

weisan
09-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Sat. - 70 miles hilly, up in TX, Wimberley area with a friend and a couple riding on tandem. We were planning to do 50 but got lost and did the extra 20 miles. Probably the second time in the year that i crossed into the 70 mile-mark, the first was last week during the Fort Davis ride. Also, the first time that my lower back wasn't giving me problems, felt particularly strong near the end, thus rode the last 7-8 miles at the front, hands on the drops maintained at >25 mph. That was a surprise. All that yoga and stretching seems to be working... ;)

Sun. - no riding but spent some time in the garage setting up a studio for taking closeup shots. Man, getting the lighting just right is so hard!