PDA

View Full Version : Chain gang

jbl
09-23-2007, 02:34 PM
I broke my chain today (and almost died in the process). I think the chain breaking was either a result of a poor repair job I did earlier in the ride to loosen up a stiff link or related to that link tightening up after running over my buddy's bike when he got doored. I fixed the chain with some spare links I carry around.

Is it advisable to get a new chain in this situation? The chain has ~2,500 on it and doesn't show appreciable stretch. I might get a new one just for peace of mind (and superstition), but I'd like to know if there's a mechanical reason to get a new chain.

Pete Serotta
09-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Without seeing the chain it is difficult to say from a mechanical point of view. If it is a 10 speed chain and has 2500 miles, and it was me, I would replace.

samcat
09-23-2007, 04:57 PM
..compared to teeth.

Install a new chain and save your smile for another day.

PH

Peter P.
09-23-2007, 07:09 PM
If you used the proper connecting pins or special link to attach your segment of chain to the existing chain, then don't worry about it. If you did NOT, and can locate the repair section you installed, the remove the pins and use the proper connectors (pins or link).

If you can't identify the repaired section, replace the chain.