PDA

View Full Version : Possibke: No Cycling Road Race in '08 Olympics!

Avispa
09-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Check this out (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7007893.stm) at the BBC.com web site! Don't forget to read some of the comments....

I think that here in the US; even with our car loving culture, a day like this would have been observed by many more people. Especially in places like San Francisco, Denver, Minneapolis, etc. Can you think of any other cities in the US where people would have taken this day seriously?

I remember during the '84 Olympics traffic was better than ever in LA!A!

PS
I am sorry that China has taken the path of the US, however, with over dependency in the car/oil . What a pity...

IN case the story is not found:

Beijing drivers ignore No Car Day

China is holding a No Car Day in more than 100 cities as it tries to reduce smog ahead of the 2008 Summer Olympics. Cars have been banned on some central streets in Beijing and all drivers are being encouraged to leave their cars at home voluntarily.

But correspondents say that in the capital National No Car Day appears to be making little impact. Millions of vehicles are on the roads every day in Beijing, causing massive air pollution.

The BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing says that cars are coming and going as normal, and most streets in Beijing are not adhering to No Car Day.

Environmental campaigners say China must overhaul its transport system, not just with a few ad hoc No Car Days but by putting in cycle lanes, reducing the price of public transport and making it much more difficult for people to buy private cars.

But China has a huge incentive - not just the health of its citizens, but the success of the Olympic Games in August next year.

The head of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has already warned that if the pollution is bad next summer, some endurance events - such as cycling or the marathon - may have to be postponed.

csm
09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
first the bad food, bad toys and now this?

saab2000
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Progress!! Technology! Moving ahead! Capitalism! Yay!!!

Somedays I seriously would like to sell my car. Maybe that day will come. I hope so.

csm
09-22-2007, 07:50 PM
I am scaling back how much I drive. try to ride or walk whenever I can.

saab2000
09-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I live about 1-2 miles from the nearest grocery store. I want to get a good messenger bag and ride my best racing bike to the store for my grocery shopping.

Nothing like riding a Look or Serotta with Veloflex tubulars to the grocery store....

Of course, the Veloflexes and Campagnolo components arrived on a ship, as did the Look frameset..... (diesel powered, of course...)

At least my Merckxspeed and Serotta were produced in the US and required less shipping to my door.