PDA

View Full Version : Heads up - removing headset...

Dekonick
09-21-2007, 09:41 PM
OK - I have this wonderful heads up I bought from Douglas awhile back...It came with a cane creek headset. My problem is that it is black, and somehow it just looks odd on the frame. I have a nice shiny king headset that would look ohhh sooo much better - but how does one get the cane creek cup that has been pressed into the heads up out?

I don't want to damage the heads up - otherwise this would be an easy fix...

I tried using a park headset cup remover - there isn't enough overlap for it to catch the cup...

ok - looking to the forum as I am sure I am not the only one who has dealt with this...

Oh - and the Ti heads up does look much nicer than aluminum - but both are keepers :)

Thanks in advance for advice!

Dekonick
09-22-2007, 05:35 AM
bump

Smiley
09-22-2007, 06:50 AM
dremel tool and cut the old head set out. I can't tell you of an easier way.

Dekonick
09-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Hmmm - ok. I was going to try and avoid that...just a little worried about damaging the heads up.

Shoulda been a king or campy headset DBRK!!! Just kidding... ;)

guyintense
09-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Is it a 1 inch headset? I found my older Campy headset remover works better on the 1 inch. Or you could try a bearing puller like this one. Cutting it out is the last resort but you knew that. Good luck!

Jeff N.
09-22-2007, 11:54 AM
That's a tough one. Jeff N.

Ti Designs
09-22-2007, 03:31 PM
That's a tough one.

Not if you have a machine shop. Put the thing on a lathe, use a boaring bar. If you want to save the headset cut an index ring and pull it with the headset puller. If you don't care, thin it 'til it's aluminum foil and tear it out.

Alternate method: clamp the heads up table using an expanding arbor. pull the headset off with a bearing puller.

Other alternate method: Bring it over to MIT's machine shop and play with the EDM machine...

Dekonick
09-22-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks for all of the advice. I don't care about the headset.

:)