PDA

View Full Version : Jeanson confesses to EPO use

Russell
09-21-2007, 07:44 AM
wow, who knew ;)

Former Canadian cyclist Geneviève Jeanson has confessed to having doping. "I did doping in my career," she said in an interview with Radio-Canada. Jeanson, 26, was found guilty in January of having used EPO and was banned for two years.

She said that the doping and cheating made her life a nightmare. "I hated everything," she said. "I hated myself for doing it. I hated myself not being able to get out of it. It was miserable."

Jeanson placed the blame on Andre Aubut, who became her coach when she was 15. He was the one who introduced her to EPO. "I didn't really want to do it," she continued. "However, I did not have the courage to say no, so I just didn't say anything." Aubut initially confirmed the story to the radio station, but later denied it, according to CBC.com.

After the suspension was announced, Jeanson continued to deny the charges. She now says, "It was not Geneviève that lied. It was someone else I did not know. It was something I was told to do and yes, I do regret it."

She has moved to Phoenix, Arizona, and says she has no immediate plans to return to Canada.

ada@prorider.or
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM
yeah money is a big thing

moral is another

swoop
09-21-2007, 10:45 AM
i imagine how all those races would have played out differently for some of the girls i know were clean....

why doesn't she mention them?

JohnS
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
wow, who knew ;)

She now says, "It was not Geneviève that lied. It was someone else I did not know."

Another one of those chimeric twins?

Big Dan
09-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Believe.

e-RICHIE
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Believe.
atmo viva le tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DxtxQQLkJ0) forever huh -

Buzz
09-21-2007, 11:57 AM

Ouch. Painful to watch that now....

72gmc
09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
i imagine how all those races would have played out differently for some of the girls i know were clean....

I have had the same "what ifs" myself about athletes, referees, etc. but as a certain framebuilder who contracts to j. greene might have said, you can't unring the bell. And I think it's better that way. Flawed things are usually more interesting and more human than perfect things to me.

MassBiker
09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Swoop,

Not being sarcastic or antagonistic in any way but how do you "know" certain people are clean?
I know a few local pros but I would never claim to know they are clean except for the fact that they never failed a drug test before.
I am rpretty sure people would have sworn Tyler, David miller, Landis etc were clean too.
Just curious and not trying to be a PIA.

:beer:

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2007, 12:50 PM
. . . is a surprise?

BBD

e-RICHIE
09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
. . . is a surprise?

BBD
so for the record are you ever surprised atmo?

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2007, 12:53 PM
. . . you would even have to ask, Richie! ;) :D

BBD

bigtime
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
i remember he didn't really sell me then either. good words, but no, uh, "passion" behind em. wonder why that was??

e-RICHIE
09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
i remember he didn't really sell me then either. good words, but no, uh, "passion" behind em. wonder why that was??
that's nuts atmo.

fstrthnu
09-21-2007, 01:02 PM
that's nuts atmo.

Stay on topic. Should read: "that's nut atmo."

paczki
09-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Don't you just find this depressing? If it's true what she says about being put on the program at 15 the coach should be arrested.

bigtime
09-21-2007, 01:04 PM
come on lance, show us your verve.

merckx
09-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Here is my take on the drug culture in sport. Some young kids who pursue sport develop into good athletes. A handful of these good athletes become exceptional athletes. However, no kid should ever come to a crossroad where they have to make a choice between taking drugs to be competitive at the sharp end verses giving up a sport that they have cultivated through diligence, passion and sacrafice for years. However, it is a culture. It is our nature to reach the next level because someone else who is exceptional already has. If that someone else is using PED's, then making the decision to also use PED's seems to be the only solution to remain competitive. This is not a choice that anyone should have to make. It is a shame.

Samster
09-21-2007, 01:37 PM
every sport has its cheats (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/06/14/donald-trump-caught-cheat_n_23008.html).

swoop
09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Swoop,

Not being sarcastic or antagonistic in any way but how do you "know" certain people are clean?
I know a few local pros but I would never claim to know they are clean except for the fact that they never failed a drug test before.
I am rpretty sure people would have sworn Tyler, David miller, Landis etc were clean too.
Just curious and not trying to be a PIA.

:beer:

you see some guys over the years.... and some progressions make sense but some don't. you see nice guys in bad team situations. or you see guys change.
you can get better but you're always limited by your physiology.

if i haven't said it out loud.... i'm saying that if i were a kid coming up.. i'm sure somewhere along the road i would have dabbled. i'd like to think i'm a good person. for me its not the dabbling .. its what you do when you get through that part. and its the guys around you that should have perspective that are supposed to protect you that put you there too.
the rider is the pointy tip of a long stick.

Fixed
09-21-2007, 02:01 PM

why doesn't she mention them?

bro from what i remember they weren't fun
cheers :beer:

fiamme red
10-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Jeanson further details doping history (http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13408.0.html)

LegendRider
10-01-2007, 01:25 PM
In other news, Dog Bites Man.

david
10-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Ouch. Painful to watch that now....

i keep wondering when we'll hear that paolo has to return his world's jersey.
it's that bad.

deechee
10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/enquete/?r=2
just click on the 20th and 27th. And yes, its in french.

Steelhead
10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
every sport has its cheats (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/06/14/donald-trump-caught-cheat_n_23008.html).

Now there is a shocker. :rolleyes:

Bill Bove
10-02-2007, 08:38 AM
I met and rode with her a couple of times when my sister lived in Tucson. She was a very nice girl, I'm saddend to hear this but not shocked. More disappointed.

pdonk
10-02-2007, 08:42 AM
For a summary of the interviews check out

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.21.079.38AM28.shtml

and

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.28.078.16AM19.shtml

While her admission to doping is not surprising (remember Hamilton Worlds, missing tests at other events), and was rumoured for years, the saddest part of her story is her relationship with her coach and parents. Can we find a tree high enough for Aubut and a burning tire for around his neck?

Unlike many other dopers, we are talking about a young woman(girl at the time) who has expereinced nearly a decade of psychological and physical abuse (the oft described telephone incident at nationals) and inappropriate relationships with an older man. While these are not excuses for dopng, they make it understandable in the context of her life.

While I wish it was not true, it is and for the second time in three years Canada has another dirty cyclist (Chris Sheppard being the other one - another sad story).

wasfast
10-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I can understand the pressure to win "at all costs" when you're that age. I can remember feeling the same way and likely would have done "whatever" to get results. However, in the 70's, I never gave any thought to doping or even knew it existed (naive). If the coach pushed it on her, then that's one thing and not good. If she sought it out, then that's her doing.

I used to have a picture from VeloNews of an East German junior at the track Worlds in 1977. This guy looked line a pro football player, full sideburns, massive build. He was 17. I clearly realize now that you don't get like that from eating more weiner schnizel.

J.Greene
10-02-2007, 09:23 AM
If the coach pushed it on her, then that's one thing and not good. If she sought it out, then that's her doing.

Sometimes growing up is painful.

JG

Fixed
10-02-2007, 09:29 AM
sometimes cats never grow up
cheers imho

Polyglot
10-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I know Geneviève and must say that many people tried to warn her of her relationship with Aubut, but she was completely oblivious when it came to him. She was completely under his thumb. What has not been said so far is that she 'earned' over a million dollars from cycling. Not bad for a female cyclist of 25.

The money and the coach go a long way to explain what happened.