PDA

View Full Version : Help with a bet

J.Greene
09-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Help me win a bet...where are Cervelo frames made?

JG

csm
09-21-2007, 06:23 AM
taiwan or china would be my guess.

William
09-21-2007, 06:31 AM
??????

http://www3.freeze.com/Screensavers/Holidays/workshop3d_cl.jpg

William

jmp
09-21-2007, 06:56 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/probikes/?id=julich_csc_cervelo

Gerard Vroomen:

"Not all our frames are made in Taiwan. It really depends from model to model. For example, Bobby’s P3 (time trial machine) is made in the US, some other frames are made in Canada, it all depends on what we are trying to accomplish."

stevep
09-21-2007, 07:02 AM
retail frames are made in taiwan or china.

maybe julichs frame is made in usa/canada but even thats probably just sub assemblies glued together....and thats julich...not you.
to say that they are made in canada is disingenuous at best.

Grant McLean
09-21-2007, 07:05 AM
The carbon bikes are made in China:

http://www.tentechcomp.com/contect/index.htm

-g

Grant McLean
09-21-2007, 07:07 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/probikes/?id=julich_csc_cervelo

Gerard Vroomen:

"Not all our frames are made in Taiwan. It really depends from model to model. For example, Bobby’s P3 (time trial machine) is made in the US, some other frames are made in Canada, it all depends on what we are trying to accomplish."

That's the aluminum bikes, and the original steel bikes that were made in
North America.

-g

sspielman
09-21-2007, 07:08 AM
If the one I was riding a couple of weeks ago was any indication, wherever they are made, they mustn't have any alignment tools....

rwsaunders
09-21-2007, 07:10 AM
I guess that it depends on the model, as this model was clearly made in Taiwan. I understand that their assembly plant is in Toronto, but I don't know if that is also their manufacturing plant.

www.cervelo.com/R25recall

Grant McLean
09-21-2007, 07:18 AM
I guess that it depends on the model, as this model was clearly made in Taiwan. I understand that their assembly plant is in Toronto, but I don't know if that is also their manufacturing plant.

www.cervelo.com/R25recall

The boys and girls at cervelo are just down the road from me,
i've been there many times over the years.

The finished frames are assembled into bikes here in Toronto, in a space not much
bigger than the average bikestore service shop.

The bikestore where I work is a dealer. There are "QC" sheets in the box
with the frames that have the "TENTECH COMPOSITES" info on them.

-g

dutri42590
09-21-2007, 07:48 AM
there made in china or some were in asia now maybe in the 90s in canda
JPR

LegendRider
09-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Cervelo sure did have a tough run with the R2.5. There are so many stories of them breaking - anecdotally, more than any other frame I'm aware of.

I spoke with a guy who had one break during our local training crit. He said suddenly the bike wouldn't steer properly and he veered off course - turns out the down tube separated from the head tube! Thankfully, the local dealer (all3sports.com) is one of the largest Cervelo dealers in the world and he got a replacement R3 immediately.

The jerk broke his R3 if I recall. The aluminum bottom bracket insert ripped out of the shell.

rwsaunders
09-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Cervelo sure did have a tough run with the R2.5. There are so many stories of them breaking - anecdotally, more than any other frame I'm aware of.

I spoke with a guy who had one break during our local training crit. He said suddenly the bike wouldn't steer properly and he veered off course - turns out the down tube separated from the head tube! Thankfully, the local dealer (all3sports.com) is one of the largest Cervelo dealers in the world and he got a replacement R3 immediately.

The jerk broke his R3 if I recall. The aluminum bottom bracket insert ripped out of the shell.

Perhaps it's a good thing that the aircraft engineer/founders got out of the aircraft engineering business.

Steelhead
09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
REI/Novara is introducing a new all carbon road bike in 2008 that is designed by and made for them by Cervelo, or shall I say by the same plant that makes Cervelo - and rebadged Novara. Apparently in China. Hopefully without lead paint.

stevep
09-21-2007, 09:19 AM
some great bikes are made in china/ taiwan.
look at the giant carbon stuff...first rate all the way. real testing, real quality control.

then there is a pile of low bid chinese junk in which the label demands low bid. there is a lot of that stuff flooding the market.
this falls into the category of: we only need to recall these if a lot break...which sometimes happens.
on a brighter note. the cervelo graphics are very bold.

or, in mattels case:
mattel marketing genius-" you dont think thats lead paint do you?"
mattel qc -"nah, would make no sense, just sell them..."

its not all the same. be wary.

csm
09-21-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with bike stuff coming out of asia.

J.Greene
09-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks Pals!

JG

Ti Designs
09-21-2007, 07:24 PM
France.

Sorry, knee jerk reactioin...

mflaherty37
09-21-2007, 11:10 PM
I heard a lot of bad stuff about Kestrel USA too.

Jack Brunk
09-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Let's be fair. Cervelo replaced all of the recalled frames with new R3 frames. If my Soloist Superlight is any indication, they make as good a carbon frame being made today.

PS life time warranty doesn't suck either.

swoop
09-21-2007, 11:27 PM
new shipping box gives hints about country of origin.

cadence90
09-21-2007, 11:32 PM
France.

Sorry, knee jerk reactioin...
Yep.

That Fabrique' en Chine decal gets 'em every time....

stevep
09-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Yep.

That Fabrique' en Chine decal gets 'em every time....

all ok as long as they're not made in china

where is chine anyway?
connecticut?

cadence90
09-22-2007, 02:20 PM
all ok as long as they're not made in china

where is chine anyway?
connecticut?
Yep.
Suburb of Chester, iirc.
Famous for aluminium TT frames.

Lifelover
09-22-2007, 03:01 PM
... Apparently in China. Hopefully without lead paint.

Do you generally nibble on your frames!?