PDA

View Full Version : my bike says metrosexual

jimcav
09-20-2007, 10:30 PM
or so a young sailor informed me
if anyone has an EC90 post with less seatback and wants to trade, this one is new--1 ride. i have the saddle all the way forward when i ride--and it is still too far back, i just have it back in the pic to avoid having the seat rub in my car when i transported it.

have to say i really enjoyed the 1st 90 minutes on her. and the scud amoeba saddle was great--after i played with the nose angle a bit i never noticed it.
hope to get some 4 hr rides in before the rains come and see how it feels then.

weight was 16.1 before i added pedals and bar tape. so with some lighter wheels and tires i can maybe get it to 15. toyed with 78 gram blue skewers and matching blue m5 brakes (still NIB and for sale BTW) but then just stayed with black.
bar tape is recycled from a bike i sold--was thinking white tape--opinions?
happy riding
jim

saab2000
09-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Show off.

Want less setback? Get a Thomson Masterpiece straight post. Best designed post on the market IMHO.

Also, what's up with that cable routing on the rear brake? Something ain't right there.

imp25rs
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
It takes a real man to ride a pink bike. I just hope you are faster than the people who poke fun at you. ;)

I do like the contrast with the pink and the carbon fiber. You definately made a good choice with the colors.

fstrthnu
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
If you put anything white on that bike it will be considered something else "sexual". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I would do a set of deep section carbon wheels. Perhaps a non-ergo bar (personal preference). Make it look a little tougher with the aero wheels. Pick a nice set to make it lighter (why not right?) and set the contact points up so they work for you. Voila. If you go with silver components down the line that might be a nice change of pace. Bike will sparkle.

Awesome Sled. :beer:

Elefantino
09-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Pink rocks almost as much as argyle rocks.

Were I the pimp, I'd find some pink bar tape and go all-in.

Then I'd find some pink Speedplays and go more all-in.

Then find yourself an old Mercatone kit and really go all-in.

And I agree. That rear brake cable has gone over to the other side. I believe that is a signal for something, but I'm not sure. You'd have to ask Larry Craig.

Enjoy!

jimcav
09-20-2007, 11:30 PM
the rear brake cable braze ons are on the right side!
my topolino v39s are getting the rear rebuilt, so aero and carbon is in the future.
so far the vote is black tape. i think any pink tape would not really match the pink bike--and shades of pink is not as attractive to me as contrast.
check the pink conti gp3000--not sure that pink works

i want a carbon post--i have a thomson, but i think with the carbon rear triangle, carbon shell saddle, carbon record, and bars; a carbon post if the way to go.

If i rode what my engine warrants i'd still be on my 1985 nishiki tri-A.
bikes are functional art that restore my spirit for the dull daily grind, not ot mention getting me there to do said grind

jim

huey
09-20-2007, 11:35 PM
White bar tape and a white saddle will make that already gorgeous bike pop!! Pink Speedplays will also look great.

I am man enough to rock pink, are you?

I love it. :beer:

cadence90
09-20-2007, 11:36 PM
I had no idea Vanilla was building with carbon rear triangles.... :confused:

jimcav
09-20-2007, 11:39 PM
as far as i know this was it.
this may not need saying, but it was not built for me, just fits me.

jim

cadence90
09-20-2007, 11:47 PM
as far as i know this was it.
this may not need saying, but it was not built for me, just fits me.

jim
Got it. Thanks.

And you're sure it's not a rebadged Steelman, then? ;)

That bike really weighs 16#? That's impressive.

I agree with JS: no white. A carbon seatpost there needs a black head also, and 0 or minimal logos.

jimcav
09-21-2007, 12:54 AM
it's the real deal. S3 steel with carbon rear, the ride is superb. weight is on my alpine digital scale--the same one that gets my look 585, with a similar build (different post--thomson masterpiece, bars--FSA rd200, and saddle-aliante carbon, wheels--fulcrum zero) at 15.5 lbs. the eurus are not my lightest wheels. I can drop at least 300 grams there. maybe 50 on the post, everything else is about as light as i'll go.

jim

davids
09-21-2007, 06:51 AM
I think white bar tape would look good - are you secure enough to rock white tape? Hey, I'm running purple bar tape on a bike called "Love #3" - Believe me, I've heard the jokes...

As far as the seatpost, you should consider a PMP carbon. They're effen gorgeous!

p.s. That bike is already effen gorgeous. Any changes are gilding the lily. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

stevep
09-21-2007, 07:08 AM
"Love #3" - Believe me, I've heard the jokes...

and thats before you see him ride.

set up #1. had to do it.
does this mean you wont push me up the hills?

Kevan
09-21-2007, 07:33 AM
especially with the photos taken in the kitchen.

Not....that there's anything wrong with that.

Cool bike for a hot kitchen. I like what's for dinner.

rpm
09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Mount the rear brake on the inside of the stays. My Harry Havnoonian is built that way. Harry claimed he had 9 reasons for doing it like that--including firmer braking, ability for a race mechanic in a car to service both brakes, and 7 others that I can't remember. Anyway, the braking is nice and solid.

As for aesthetics, +1 to frsthnu and swoop.

Clydesdale
09-21-2007, 09:22 AM
as a pink bike can be. Not to buck the crowd, but hey, your bike is alreay metallic pepto and obviously screams - "I know what I like." Put some black and white two color leather wrap on the bars and ride loud...(er)!

Seriously - vey nice rig. Enjoy

jimcav
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Mount the rear brake on the inside of the stays. .

got a pic--I actually thought about that when i saw the cable routing, but had never seen it so figured it had something to do with the number holder on the left side of the TT
jim

Fixed
09-21-2007, 10:32 AM
it's the real deal. S3 steel with carbon rear, the ride is superb. weight is on my alpine digital scale--the same one that gets my look 585, with a similar build (different post--thomson masterpiece, bars--FSA rd200, and saddle-aliante carbon, wheels--fulcrum zero) at 15.5 lbs. the eurus are not my lightest wheels. I can drop at least 300 grams there. maybe 50 on the post, everything else is about as light as i'll go.

jim
bro you might be able to save a few grams by takin the bottle cage off .
imho
cheers

Steve Hampsten
09-21-2007, 11:21 AM
My guess is that those brakes work better with that cable routing - the calipers are sensitive to pressure from the housing.

What a cool rig! White tape and white FSA seat post and stem'd be my pick.

And carry a pink knife - Benchmate makes a nice one.

Did Sacha build that or...?

jimcav
09-21-2007, 11:30 AM
as it was for one of his sponsered CX riders. Yes, zero G brakes suck if the cable housing is off a fraction.
I'll have to look for white carbon--have not seen any other than the cinelli ram bianca, which is too pricey for its weight. other white carbon i have seen is more silver.

thanks
jim

davids
09-21-2007, 11:35 AM
What a cool rig! White tape and white FSA seat post and stem'd be my pick.
White seatpost and stem? I wouldn't think it could work, but Mr. Hampsten spec'ed this combo:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_aiTLRxFg-oI/Rmr4EAGGDBI/AAAAAAAAAHs/MlEzgaSnBi8/s1600/Cycles%2BTournesol%2BLeger-12-1.jpg

So...

bozman
09-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Jim,
That bike rocks. I love pink bikes. I would agree with the white tape sentiment which you could match to this:

jimcav
09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
i tried them--they ended up on ebay

davids, i see no pic in your post
can you email it to me at jacav@comcast.net

thanks
jim

Samster
09-21-2007, 01:32 PM
that is one sexiful^* bike!

^* source: "you only live twice"

PBWrench
09-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Re: tape: Hang tough. Black is the new white.

mjb266
09-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Man that is nice...can you get us a pic outside in some better light?

jimcav
09-21-2007, 06:05 PM
will see if the storm gods are away
jim

jghall
09-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Beautiful bike Jim.

Looks like the exact bike Sacha had a picture of on his site a year or so back.

Still kicking myself for not getting on the list back then.

Then again, with the way you and Jack move bikes, it may be available soon.

Which reminds me, I get first dibs. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Jeff

Keith A
09-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I know someone else who ain't affraid to ride a pink bike. Just check out these examples: pink bike #1 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18849) and pink bike #2 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3482)

Jack Brunk
09-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Beautiful bike Jim.

Looks like the exact bike Sacha had a picture of on his site a year or so back.

Still kicking myself for not getting on the list back then.

Then again, with the way you and Jack move bikes, it may be available soon.

Which reminds me, I get first dibs. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Jeff
Hey Jeff,

I don't even have mine yet. He's working on it now so I haven't even had a chance to ride it yet. Check back later. :beer:

PS Hey Jim, What's up with the Meivici? I'd like to see it!

jimcav
09-21-2007, 11:42 PM
i decided to hang stuff on the vanilla first and get some rides in before the fall rains arrive--plus if i like it i think i need to sell a steel bike (r33 or kirk). whereas the serotta won't rust, and even if i love it the most, i don't think i will sell the crumpton or the look. so sadly the meivici is next to the bed, waiting

jim