PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if a bike will fit when you buy used via the Internet?

scottcw
07-11-2004, 05:02 PM
When buying a stock geometry frame used via the internet, how do you know your size? it seems to me that each manufacturer is different.

I am 6', with a 33.25" standover height.

rnhood
07-11-2004, 05:21 PM
There are several web sites with fit information. This one is popular:

http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_framesize.html

There are other sites too and so many opinions that your head will swim. A dealer can be helpful but, going to a dealer certainly doesn't guarantee that you will get the correct advice on frame sizing. Some of the older methods, such as the Rivendell approach, that have withstood the test of time tend to be more reliable if you are new to cycling. Later you can change your approach if you so desire but, sizing by these time tested methods means you will not dislike your bike even if you do decide to try another approach because they err on the side of comfort.

Peter
07-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Sounds like you're interested in a particular frame but you have little experience with bikes or aren't familiar with frame sizing.

Let's keep it simple for you this time around.
First, I'll make an educated guess based on the body dimensions you gave and say a 57-58cm frame would fit you well.

Now go to Lennard Zinn's web site and use his fit calculator to give you some numbers. In case you don't know, He has a great reputation for his framebuilding as well as his technical contributions to VeloNews.

Go here: http://zinncycles.com/FitIntro.aspx

There are other systems on the 'net if you choose to compare; I'll let others post them. But try the various formulas, if available, and see how they compare. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Zinn's approach.

BumbleBeeDave
07-11-2004, 06:41 PM
. . and invest in a fit session. It’s a bargain at $100 if you want information on what exactly you need to fit you. Then if you are shopping, say, eBay, you can ask some very pointed questions about what is for sale.

Sure, it effectively raises the price of whatever you buy online by $100, but if you are seeking to spend several thousand on a bike that would retail new for twice as much, wouldn’t that be worthwhile for your ultimate satisfaction?

BBDave

scottcw
07-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Sounds like you're interested in a particular frame but you have little experience with bikes or aren't familiar with frame sizing.

I have been riding a Legend Ti that is 58 cm ST c-c, 58 cm TT c-c, with a 13 cm stem. Stand-over is 81.9 cm, exactly 1 inch below my crotch when wearing socks. I am considering the 56 cm ST c-t VaMoots listed in the classifieds. I am pretty sure that it would be to small, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Serotta PETE
07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
I see that you have a 58CM TT and a 13 stem....(If that bike fits well, then you will more than likely have a problem with TT length.) Typically a 56cm does not come with a 58CM TT.

AS previously mentioned, the first step is to find your most ideal position by being fitted. Then as you look at frames/bikes on e-bay you can do a comparision and see how far out from your "ideal" it is. Compact frames, and angles will also afftect which is "most correct" for you.

Dr. Smiley is the person who could really help you here. (Or someone on the site can offer fitter recommendation for the area you live.)

Many of us have bought frames that did not fit - but we figured we could make them fit.

The type of frame or the price of the frame quite often puts the emotional side of the mind ahead of what works. (YES I HAVE BEEN GUILTY OF THIS).

After much trying, we usually give up and sell the frame and start looking again.

Good hunting.....PETE

scottcw
07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
After much trying, we usually give up and sell the frame and start looking again.

Thanks. I decided to pass. All the research that I did indicated that my current bike is the ideal frame size for me, although I may end up with a shorter stem as I keep getting that I should have a 58cm ST with a 56-57cm TT and an 11cm stem. I currently have a 58cm TT with a 13cm stem. But... I do have my seat as far forward as it will go and my handlebars are set pretty high.

Peter
07-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Geez; now that you list your current bike's specs I have a better idea of what would fit.

First, did I call that frame size right, or what?!

I thought your overall height was tall versus your inseam, so I envisioned a long top tube/stem combo. But with your seat full forward and no viable explanation given, I'd suggest sliding the seat back and shortening the stem as well, perhaps 1cm each.

Yeah, that 56cm frame is too small.