PDA

View Full Version : Did SRAM purchase Zipp?

swoop
09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Just wondering....

rinconryder
09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
That is what is being said on Slowtwitch, and confirmed apparently. If anyone would no, I would say it would be triathletes.

jerk
09-20-2007, 06:22 PM
yes.

stevep
09-20-2007, 06:40 PM
funny,
they slept through the last 15 yrs with only mt bike stuff...
now they realize that there is business in skinny tire bikes.

who knows where zipp wheels are manufactured now?

they will be in taiwan in 2 years.
money back guarantee on this prediction.

swoop
09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
stevep,

next you're going to tell me you have pictures of oscar de la hoya in fishnet stockings and heels.

Fixed
09-20-2007, 07:04 PM
swoop is that the office ?
look at the good side zipp for 500
cheers :beer:

what do all the little wheel guys do that buy zipps and relabel them

swoop
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM

dude.. you know i have better furniture taste than that.

fstrthnu
09-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Shimano = Shimano
Campy = Fulcrum
SRAM = Zipp

stevep
09-20-2007, 07:51 PM

no fixed,
they'll still be $1,500...
but they'll come in colors or some shiite.

rinconryder
09-20-2007, 07:59 PM
no fixed,
they'll still be $1,500...
but they'll come in colors or some shiite.

you know where to get Zipp wheels for $1500????!!!! hook me up.

merckx
09-20-2007, 08:00 PM
funny,
they slept through the last 15 yrs with only mt bike stuff...
now they realize that there is business in skinny tire bikes.

they will be in taiwan in 2 years.
money back guarantee on this prediction.

The sooner the better, in Taiwan that is. Maybe the quality will improve.

Fixed
09-20-2007, 08:08 PM
maybe they can find a way to put lead in
cheers

bozman
09-20-2007, 10:06 PM

zipp's are made in indianapolis, indiana.

kerrycycle
09-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Zipp & Flashpoint wheels are made in Indy (I went through the plant about a year ago). The entire carbon wheel is made & assembled there. The rim on the CSC "training wheels" is also outsourced, but assembled in Indy. Some of the other components (i.e. stems & bars) and softgoods, however, are outsourced.

stevep
09-21-2007, 05:51 AM
you know where to get Zipp wheels for $1500????!!!! hook me up.

i dont know how much they are...but they wont be going down in price.

one of my team guys had a pr and the f'in things fell apart with very little use.
i, for one, have no use for the fool things.
mavic carbone sl all the way. much better wheelset.

Fixed
09-21-2007, 06:02 AM
i dont know how much they are...but they wont be going down in price.

one of my team guys had a pr and the f'in things fell apart with very little use.
i, for one, have no use for the fool things.
mavic carbone sl all the way. much better wheelset.
ac.s use zipp carbons i had a pair they fell apart before i got them paid for

sspielman
09-21-2007, 06:12 AM
ac.s use zipp carbons i had a pair they fell apart before i got them paid for

Sounds like they will fit in with the rest of the SRAM lineup just fine....

my2cents
09-21-2007, 07:23 AM
for what it's worth, a former regional sales manager for ZIPP (who has joined my company) built his ottrott with custom wheels (open pro's, dura ace) even though he still has at least several pairs of ZIPPs in his garage. "why aren't you using the ZIPPs?", I ask. "No comment", he responds. "Can I have a pair" I ask. He says, "we're friends, right". "Yes" I say. "Then no, you can't have a pair".

as i say - read into it what you will.

crossjunkee
09-21-2007, 09:57 AM
zipp's are made in indianapolis, indiana.

one block south of the motor speedway, if anybody is going....

rinconryder
09-21-2007, 12:55 PM
for what it's worth, a former regional sales manager for ZIPP (who has joined my company) built his ottrott with custom wheels (open pro's, dura ace) even though he still has at least several pairs of ZIPPs in his garage. "why aren't you using the ZIPPs?", I ask. "No comment", he responds. "Can I have a pair" I ask. He says, "we're friends, right". "Yes" I say. "Then no, you can't have a pair".

as i say - read into it what you will.

I know you are merely passing on what someone else said, but if Zipp's are such Pieces of Sh$% then why do many of the top teams, including teams that don't even have to use them, choose to use them? As for Mavic, great wheels (I use them), but one could easily point David Millar's little incident with his disc and say they are the worst wheels on the face of the planet.

Stuff fails, bottom line, especially when companies are pushing the very edge of the design envelope. It amazes me how fast people are willing to call something a piece of crap just because they have a bad experience with it.

stevep
09-21-2007, 01:04 PM
bad experience (s) .

my2cents
09-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I know you are merely passing on what someone else said, but if Zipp's are such Pieces of Sh$% then why do many of the top teams, including teams that don't even have to use them, choose to use them? ....
Stuff fails, bottom line, especially when companies are pushing the very edge of the design envelope. It amazes me how fast people are willing to call something a piece of crap just because they have a bad experience with it.

my friend hasn't been with ZIPP for over a year now, but i'm sure he is basing his decision to not use ZIPP wheels on his personal bike on more than a single incident; i'm sure his decision is based a sum (and since he was at ZIPP for a number of years - a very large sum) of experiences, including things that you and i never see or hear about. That said, he will go on and on about the superior aerodynamics of the wheels, but with even that going for them, he still chose not to use the wheels, which leads me to believe that whatever reservations he has about the wheels, it is not their 'performance' he questions. why do pros use them? i don't know - because of the superior aerodynamic to weight (i.e. performance)?

and i think a distinction needs to be made between seeing a prototype fail in the tdf and the issues that people have with inline product being used under normal conditions. generalizing that a company's entire product line is crap because a proto fails is probably naive, but coming to a similar conclusion when there are repeated stories about a number of commercialized products failing under normal use seems far less problematic to me. I'm not saying ZIPP does or doesn't fall into the second category - I'm just speaking generally.

I do own ZIPP bars (that i acquired thru my friend and his contacts at ZIPP), but i don't ever imagine getting any wheels - not because i don't want them or because I have concerns about the product but because i simply think zipps and other comparably priced wheels are too expensive for a bicycle wheel that isn't being raced on (and i'm not racing anymore).

p.s. the Zipp bars are for sale - not the shape I thought they would be.

1centaur
09-21-2007, 06:52 PM
There are threads ad infinitum about Zipp wheels on weightweenies, so to summarize:

The tubulars have a worse reputation than the clinchers for breaking rims.

In the last year or so the complaint rate has dropped a ton - people believe the construction has improved.

Some people will hate them forever for problems from a few years ago.

Some people love them and ride them as training wheels and never have a problem.

Not everybody loves the hubs.

Everyone thinks they're fast.

For me, my LBS-built 303 clinchers with Hugi hubs have been great for the last year or so - my favorite wheels.

Dave B
09-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Talked to a guy at the LBS tonight who used to work for them and whose friends work there now are looking for new jobs. Apparently Zipp has been for sale for awhile.

The guy told me that his buddies were leaving as the future of the company is so unknown that don't expect them to be made in America any more.

i don't know if this guy is for real, but he has no reason to lie.

Just sayin'

:D

Ti Designs
09-21-2007, 07:34 PM
For a second I thought it said "Did SRAM purchase Zippo?", and I'm thinking about lighters without overshift positions...

NAHBS
09-22-2007, 08:26 AM
I for one would like to hop in on this thread and add my $.02

Nate, the OEM Rep for Zipp and his wife were here for dinner last night.
We talked extensively about the sale and what it means to him.
He mentioned the fact that Zipp would be "the best part of SRAM" when the merger is completed. He also mentioned (and I dont recall if this was hush hush) that to his knowledge, SRAM didnt want to spend the money to open a new factory when the one right here in Speedway is profitable.

As for the sale, the owner Andy was supposedly only looking for capital investors to take Zipp to "the next level". The sale shouldnt have any affect on Zipp as a whole...
DW

Dave B
09-22-2007, 08:46 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/news/09-22

here is just a bit more.

Don's info was actually better, but whatever is whatever.

swoop
09-22-2007, 09:17 AM
i heard Zipp killed Kennedy and was doing the experiments on monkeys in Africa that made AIDS and are behind these bad home loans.

pdxmech13
09-22-2007, 12:28 PM
...not to mention the cause to Michigans worst season in years :D :D