PDA

View Full Version : mountain biking on cape cod?????

seanw
09-19-2007, 08:31 PM
hello all,
are there any forum members here who live on the cape and mountain bike? or anyone who mountain bikes who has ridden off road on the cape?
heading down this weekend and want to take the mtn bike. early, early fall is a great time to be off road. i am staying in brewster.
thanks for any info.

sean

Steve Hampsten
09-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I was on the Cape last summer with road bikes - I tink we saw a single unpaved road. We rode it. There may be some trails but it didn't look like there were a whole lot there may be more out towards Provincetown. The road riding was quite nice, however.

stevep
09-20-2007, 05:16 AM
otis afb in falmouth has the best mt bike trails i have ever seen.
smooth, rolling, super fast.... narrow single track... cambered turns- fabulous.
absolutely the most fun i've ever had on a mt bike.
admittedly not close to brewster... right near the bourne bridge.

seanw
09-20-2007, 07:34 AM
steve, dont really feel like driving that far. how about trail of tears? ever ride that? and is punkhorn worth riding?
thanks,
sean

stevep
09-20-2007, 07:44 AM
ask this guy
gsykes@cape.com

he's the king of the cape.

davids
09-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Sean,

Check out NEMBA's trail list (http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/places-ma.html). The descriptions are decent, and should give you a good starting point. I've never done any mountain biking on the Cape, so I can't offer any first-hand advice.

stevep,

Sykes? He's not related to Kirk, is he?

terry
09-20-2007, 08:58 PM
stevep is correct in that otis is the balls but trail of tears is just as good. similar to otis in that its up & down, buff trails, some technical stuff and tight singletrack. it has one section that is dead flat for about a mile that is super fast-big ring, fast turns (lots of them) a great section. i've heard there is some mtb riding at nickerson state park in brewster but i've not been out that far. enjoy.

seanw
09-21-2007, 06:25 AM
thankyou, all.

sean

BURCH
09-21-2007, 08:29 AM
My in laws live on the Cape in Eastham (near Brewster). I have spent tons of time up there. Unfortunately, I never taken a mtn bike. I stick to the road riding because I have never seen or heard of mtn biking in that area. That would be the major downfall of moving there to me (no good single track).

Let me know if you find any trails though. And try to hit up Land Ho (http://www.land-ho.com/orleans/home.html) for a great pint of Guinness and seafood or Hole in One (http://www.theholecapecod.com/) for some of the best home made donuts or Corn Beef Hash I have ever eaten. Both are in Orleans which borders Brewster.

Enjoy your trip. This is an absolutely great time of year to be on the Cape. Tourists are gone, Water is warn, and the Weather is great.

seanw
09-25-2007, 07:11 AM
terry, you were right. trail of tears is awesome. great riding with my single speed 29er. everything from single/double track, technical, fast,rocky, rooty and even climbing. kind of like a roller coaster in there. good stuff. also rode the otis/attwood trail across the street from trail of tears. short but sweet.
burch, definitely worth taking the mtn bike next time. my in-laws are on the cape, too, so i have spent quite a bit of time down there. same thing, never thought of takin mtn bike, but i will now. and i know the land ho very well. great stuffies!!
cheers,
sean

BURCH
09-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Sean,

Thanks for confirming the trail of tears. Now I know. Excellant.

BURCH