PDA

View Full Version : Colorado roads closed to bikes

Lincoln
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
First, thanks to all the front-rangers who've helped me with relocation advice over the last year or so. Our home in Park City is sold and we're staying at temporary digs at my brother in law's in Genesee until we close on a house in Boulder.

Yesterday I looked at a map, picked a route and took off. I went W on 40 from Genesee and got to where I was going to turn ~E on rte.s 6 and 119 (I was going to head down 6 to Golden and then back to Genesee via Lookout Mtn.). When I got to the start of 6/119 there was a "no bikes" sign so I turned around and just did an out and back. What gives? I could not find any information online about roads that are closed to bikes. Is it just the short section of 6/119 or all of 6 down to Golden? If it was just a short section I might have risked it and played dumb (it comes very naturally to me) if busted.

Are there other roads that are like this around the front range?

Thanks!

Lincoln

crossjunkee
09-18-2007, 01:07 PM
6 out of Golden is pretty bad, even in a car! With gambling buses, tunnels, and how twisty the road is, I would stay clear. There are MANY more options for you.

6 was open two summers ago to cyclists when the rock slide had the highway closed to motor vehicle traffic. That was cool.

Bud
09-18-2007, 02:14 PM
6 is the only one I know of that is closed to bikes, besides parts of various interstates. Go on to Golden Gate Canyon instead next time.

And welcome to Boulder :beer:

NicaDog
09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Those of us on the forum from Boulder have been trying to find a reason to all get together - you may just be it! Let us know when you get to into Boulder and I'll offer up my place for a get together.
Anybody interested?

Where in Boulder are you moving?

Welcome! :beer:

BoulderGeek
09-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I need to meet folks before I get all fat again!

:D :beer:

Lincoln
09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I was at the far West end of 6 (expecting to come down it) so Golden Gate wasn't an option. Where I am staying (Genesee: on the South side of 70 from Lookout Mtn) there doesn't seem to be a lot of loop choices that also avoid quite a bit of traffic. Just trying to make do until we get to Boulder and the options expand exponentially.

I'm game for a get together but it looks like it will be a month or so before we get settled in Boulder proper, though I will be up there on and off starting next week and can bring a bike and/or beer mug with me.

Nica, we will either be in the University Hill or Newlands area. We have it down to three homes and are trying to decide which one to go after first.

BG, you will have to bring more pictures of your trip, I enjoyed that thread.

Lincoln

chuckred
09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Team Evergreen Road Rides (http://www.teamevergreen.org/HTML_MAIN_PAGES/roadrides.html)

I live in Evergreen - just a couple miles from where you are... if you need some advice or rides, let me know (check out the Team Evergreen website for PDF maps of many good ones). Don't worry - there are lots of options from here!

For what it's worth, I ended up going down that route by mistake... a horrible mistake. Narrow, lots of buses (gamblers), but the real reason it's closed to bikes (from what I can tell) is the tunnel. No way around it, too narrow and dark to ride through. I ended up walking on the curb.

Now that you're in Colorado, pick up a copy of Road Biking Colorado by Michael Seeberg - a great compendium of many great routes.

By the way - I recommend you ride from Genessee, hit Highway 40 at El Rancho (Evergreen Parkway exit - you have to ride on the Interstate for a couple miles, but it's not a big deal, legal, wide shoulder and you'll be off it in a minute). 40 parallels the Interstate until it hits Highway 6 (you'll go down a steep/fast hill - Floyd HIll, hit a "T" intersection.). Turn right, and then right where it looks like you're hitting an on ramp back to the interstate, hang left (almost like you're going up the off ramp). You'll see a small road that follows the stream. That will take you all the way to Idaho Springs. Once there, you can take the road up to Squaw/Juniper Pass, then back to Evergreen and back to Genesee... a great loop... probably about 50 - 52 miles.

In fact, with the weather like it is, you may want to do Mt. Evans while you still can!

Tailwinds
09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Those of us on the forum from Boulder have been trying to find a reason to all get together - you may just be it! Let us know when you get to into Boulder and I'll offer up my place for a get together.
Anybody interested?

I am interested. Welcome, Lincoln!

Lincoln
09-18-2007, 11:13 PM
<snip>
By the way - I recommend you ride from Genessee, hit Highway 40 at El Rancho (Evergreen Parkway exit - you have to ride on the Interstate for a couple miles, but it's not a big deal, legal, wide shoulder and you'll be off it in a minute). 40 parallels the Interstate until it hits Highway 6 (you'll go down a steep/fast hill - Floyd HIll, hit a "T" intersection.). Turn right, and then right where it looks like you're hitting an on ramp back to the interstate, hang left (almost like you're going up the off ramp). You'll see a small road that follows the stream. That will take you all the way to Idaho Springs. Once there, you can take the road up to Squaw/Juniper Pass, then back to Evergreen and back to Genesee... a great loop... probably about 50 - 52 miles.

In fact, with the weather like it is, you may want to do Mt. Evans while you still can!

Thanks, I'll have to check that loop out.

Is floyd hill the long straight one that ends with a couple of curves right before it T's on rte 6? If so that's right where I got turned around yesterday. Nothing like hitting 54 on the d'hill and then having to climb back up the wall when you thought you had another 10 miles with gravity on your side!

I made the mistake of going down the road from Evergreen to Morrison Sunday afternoon. Sucks being stuck behind a parade of cars on a fun descent! I'll have to try that one again during off hours.

chuckred
09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks, I'll have to check that loop out.

Is floyd hill the long straight one that ends with a couple of curves right before it T's on rte 6? If so that's right where I got turned around yesterday. Nothing like hitting 54 on the d'hill and then having to climb back up the wall when you thought you had another 10 miles with gravity on your side!

I made the mistake of going down the road from Evergreen to Morrison Sunday afternoon. Sucks being stuck behind a parade of cars on a fun descent! I'll have to try that one again during off hours.

Floyd Hill's a fast one! more fun down than up!

Bear Creek Canyon is much better as an early morning decent! Also in the "off season"...

HAve you discovered Kerr Gulch yet? Very lightly traveled, beautiful valley between Evergreen Parkway and Bear Creek Canyon. If you're going to go either up or down Bear Creek, it's a nice route from where you are. Cuts off a few miles, but it's a great road.

Lincoln
09-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah, that was the conclusion I came to on Bear Creek. Figured it would be good most of the time, I had exactly the wrong timing catching all the weekend day trippers heading down and out back to Denver.

I saw Kerr Gulch on the map, but wasn't sure if it was paved or dirt, was planning an automotive reconnaissance run.

Fixed
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
bro is the riding as good as park city ? that is the best I have been to .
cheers :beer:

chuckred
09-19-2007, 01:01 PM
bro is the riding as good as park city ? that is the best I have been to .
cheers :beer:

(I assume you meant PC, Utah?) And they're both fantastic. Although road riding in the front range has more options than Park City, and mountain biking in Park City edges out Evergreen - assuming you want to ride out the front (or garage) door...

chuckred
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that was the conclusion I came to on Bear Creek. Figured it would be good most of the time, I had exactly the wrong timing catching all the weekend day trippers heading down and out back to Denver.

I saw Kerr Gulch on the map, but wasn't sure if it was paved or dirt, was planning an automotive reconnaissance run.

Most of the bottom mile is pretty rough "pavement" with a couple short dirt spots, but totally passable virtually year round, the top part is freshly paved in the last couple of years.

The first section from the top has a couple very sharp hairpins (and steep)...

Lincoln
09-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Chuck, thanks, maybe I'll check it out this evening. Send me a PM if you are available for a ride anytime in here.

Fixed,

I'll have to wait to pass final judgment. My initial feeling is that the road riding is actually a good bit better, especially for longer (2+ hrs) rides. Just a lot more options and more fun twisty canyons.

I would also say that the mountain biking is not anywhere near as good as Park City(I hope to be proved wrong on this count!). Park City used to be good but it has added miles of trails every year and now is a fantastic place to mtn bike (with most of it being "out the door" or only a five minute drive). Also the trails aren't at all crowded and there are few, if any, places where bikes are not allowed.

crossjunkee
09-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I would also say that the mountain biking is not anywhere near as good as Park City(I hope to be proved wrong on this count!).

Let me know if you want to hit some front range trials!! I know a few really good spots.

Lincoln
09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Crossjunkee, Awesome, I absolutely will!

chuckred
09-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Chuck, thanks, maybe I'll check it out this evening. Send me a PM if you are available for a ride anytime in here.

Fixed,

I'll have to wait to pass final judgment. My initial feeling is that the road riding is actually a good bit better, especially for longer (2+ hrs) rides. Just a lot more options and more fun twisty canyons.

I would also say that the mountain biking is not anywhere near as good as Park City(I hope to be proved wrong on this count!). Park City used to be good but it has added miles of trails every year and now is a fantastic place to mtn bike (with most of it being "out the door" or only a five minute drive). Also the trails aren't at all crowded and there are few, if any, places where bikes are not allowed.

Send me a pm if you want...

I assume the Park City you mentioned is Utah (and that the "Wyoming" is in jest)...

I lived there from '79 - 84 and then in SLC until '95 - sort of the early days of mtn bikeing and before many of the trails had been developed.