PDA

View Full Version : hard things to carry on a bike

Fixed
09-18-2007, 10:41 AM
bro just got back from getting 3 chicken dinners
pizza is a hard one to banker boxes plain suck .imho coffee for 4 is trouble wating to happen
cheers

gdw
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Try carrying two empty cardboard bike boxes on a windy day. :eek:

TimD
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Tried carrying a coffee recently. Bad idea. Ended up pouring it into my water bottle.

After I bought my first set of panniers I wondered how I lived without them previously.

As an early teen I once carried a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood using two bikes and three people:

Front bike: Rider and passenger, holding front of sheet on rear rack
Rear bike: Riding and sort of holding rear of sheet atop bars

The mission was a supply run for a fort construction project. There were a lot of houses being built in South Florida at the time. I think we went a couple of miles, in the dark. Crazy.

saab2000
09-18-2007, 11:02 AM
plastic grocery bags start swinging around and even a great handling bike will be affected.

6-packs. cases of Blue Moon. The chick I might have met at the bar.

You know, the usual stuff we try to carry on bikes.

dauwhe
09-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Front rack on this bike (http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/singer_1960.html) would be good for pizza, I think...

Dave

fiamme red
09-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Front rack on this bike (http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/singer_1960.html) would be good for pizza, I think...

DaveOr you could just buy a pizza bike (http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/indbikes.html):

Worksman Low Gravity - Model LGP
$549.00
Mens Low Gravity Pizza Delivery Bike w/ Top Opening Pizza Box. Same as LGB except the 20x20x12" steel cabinet replaces the front basket. Low cost way to deliver Pizza. Also a great way to advertise your Pizza Business by ordering this bike with optional graphics on the cabinet. It becomes both a delivery vehicle and a billboard on wheels. (Inquire with our sales office for quotes on graphics)

Worksman Low Gravity - Model LGP-S
$549.00
Mens Low Gravity Bike w/ Side-Opening Pizza Box. Same as above but with side opening cabinet (Ideal for sliding Pizza into cabinet)

dauwhe
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I think I'd rather have an Alex Singer Porteur, but then I wouldn't be able to afford pizza for the rest of my life : )

Dave

William
09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Try carrying two empty cardboard bike boxes on a windy day. :eek:

4' x 8' sheet of plywood. If it's windy, or you go too fast....you're a goner. :eek:

William

old_school
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
plastic grocery bags start swinging around and even a great handling bike will be affected.

Catch one of those bags in your front wheel and see how far you will fly!

Ginger
09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Every mountain biker knows: 6 pack (cans of course) on the top tube. Fits perfect.

dauwhe
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Every mountain biker knows: 6 pack (cans of course) on the top tube. Fits perfect.

Now there's an argument for level top tubes!

Dave

J.Greene
09-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Back in the grade school I had a girlfriend who'd ride on the handle bars. My wonderful wife has to have her own bicycle.

JG

William
09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Back in the grade school I had a girlfriend who'd ride on the handle bars. My wonderful wife has to have her own bicycle.

JG

When we were kids, Sister William did that...barefoot and ended up getting her foot caught in the spokes. I remember they brought her into the house and her toe was dangling by a tendon, nerve. :cool: Hey! When you're seven, it's kinda cool. "Whoa, look at the blood....". ;)

William

Ken Robb
09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I can fit a BUNCH of stuff in my Rivendell Hoss saddle bag. One of the big Carradice bags would work as well. They sure don't look "racy" though.

Sandy
09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Worst thing to carry on your bike (at the same time) is your wife and your girlfriend. That is disaster waiting to happen.....to you....... :)

Simple Sandy

Too Tall
09-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Porcupine and a dozen balloons? Just sayin'.

dauwhe
09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Porcupine and a dozen balloons? Just sayin'.

Easy... tie the string of balloons to the porcupine and put the porcupine on the rear rack (so balloons won't end up in your face).

If the porcupine floats away (http://www.zade.free2host.net/images/pooh.jpg), it becomes someone else's problem...

momof4greatkids
09-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I once saw two guys riding one behind the other, each holding one end of a ladder. Looked difficult and dangerou, but I had to give them credit for trying.

Thanks to the ingenuity of the good people at Wallbike, here's one item that is no longer difficult to carry on a bike..it's a "banana guard" Also comes in a glow-in-the-dark version :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(does that look borderline indecent or do I just have sick mind???)

Colleen

Your_Friend!
09-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Fixed!

Tom
09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
If the porcupine floats away (http://www.zade.free2host.net/images/pooh.jpg), it becomes someone else's problem...

Porcupine control means using both hands.

vaxn8r
09-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I used to pick up my bike at the shop and carry it home on my bike. That wasn't really very tough but it looked impressive.

swoop
09-18-2007, 01:46 PM
oj collectables. actually carrying the collectables is easy.. its dodging bullets in vegas traffic thats hard.

Fixed
09-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I used to pick up my bike at the shop and carry it home on my bike. That wasn't really very tough but it looked impressive.
bro those darn race bikes one in the shop one that needs to go to the shop one you can ride .. just kidding
cheers :beer:

nobrakes
09-18-2007, 03:09 PM
When I was a youngster, we'd ride to the beach with our surfboards under our arms. I'm sure there is some comedy there, as then our boards were longish 9' or so, and probably 20 lbs. The distance wasn't that far, but on a windy day made for some weird crashes. Our ride of choice was our beater Stingrays, which afforded a lower center of gravity, (proof that we thought it out).

Sandy
09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
When I was a youngster, we'd ride to the beach with our surfboards under our arms. I'm sure there is some comedy there, as then our boards were longish 9' or so, and probably 20 lbs. The distance wasn't that far, but on a windy day made for some weird crashes. Our ride of choice was our beater Stingrays, which afforded a lower center of gravity, (proof that we thought it out).

Stingrays from the wter or from a bike shop? If from the water, then I am really impressed! :) :)

Stinging Sandy

PS- Do you ride a fixed gear with no brakes? If you do, your screen name is a really nice choice.

SimonC
09-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I've ridden home with full-size bike boxes a couple of times now, but the trick is not to leave them full size. If you flatten them and fold the resulting piece of card in four it'll just about fit in the straps on my messenger bag. It's challenging riding in busy traffic with a 3 foot x 1 foot piece of cardboard across my back though.

Fixed
09-18-2007, 03:21 PM
bro we are a wild bunch cheers

nobrakes
09-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Stingrays from the wter or from a bike shop? If from the water, then I am really impressed! :) :)

Stinging Sandy

PS- Do you ride a fixed gear with no brakes? If you do, your screen name is a really nice choice.
Sorry to disappoint, the Stingrays were from Schwinn, not the sea. Got a stinger in my heel at Ray Bay, though. That hurts.
Learned the hardway about the need for brakes, so all my fixed gear road bikes are legal. Track bikes excluded.

jsfoster
09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
In the 1949 movie 'the bicycle thief' the main character, a sign painter, carries his paint and ladder with him on his bike...
Are we just couch bicyclists?
-Jon

mike p
09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I've carried a full case of beer in a chrome messenger bag no prob atmo.

Mike

dirtdigger88
09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
this would suck

http://www.rideyourbike.com/images/cargoload1.jpg

Jason

Ti Designs
09-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I can't carry a tune when I ride, everything else is just about figuring out where it goes and how to hold it.

And for the record, a Blackburn mountain rack CAN'T hold an 80 pound bag of concrete for more than a few blocks...

chuckroast
09-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I seem to have a hard time carrying my weight, especially on a group ride.

DarrenCT
09-18-2007, 09:25 PM
+ 1 for coffee

i've dumped a few cups in my day :crap:

cs124
09-18-2007, 09:32 PM

best use i ever found for cinelli spinaci bars was as a 6-pack carrier.

got some good reactions at the drive through bottle shop too ;)