PDA

View Full Version : DMT vs SIDI?

kelmeboyAZ
07-10-2004, 12:28 PM
I wear Sidi Energy (precursor to the Ergo) and love the fit as my feet are very narrow. I have some irritation from the front "tightener"(over the metatarsal heads). Has anyone with narrow feet tried both Sidi and DMT RSX? Are the DMT's cut narrow, are they comfy, durable and stiff? Do they run similar to SIDI in size? Thanks in advance?

Elefantino
07-10-2004, 12:48 PM
I tried a pair of DMT somethingorothers last year from Colorado Cyclist and sent them back. I, too, have a narrow foot and they were too wide. Stayed with Sidis. (Regular width, not the narrows. The Sidi narrows were, um, too narrow!)

Of course, your results may vary.

Mike

Kevin
07-10-2004, 02:05 PM
I had the same problem with the Sidi Ergos. I switched to Rocket 7s. The 7s are great. They are extremely light and very comfortable.

Kevin

07-11-2004, 03:57 PM
I rode in Sidi's for the last couple years and switched this year to DMT Ultimax RSX's. Love them. Leaving aside the better ratchet buckle and the stiffer, thinner sole, here's what appealed to me:

1. Flatter insole so you can modify it yourself if you need to, or use orthotics as is. Sidis have a moderate insole arch which tends to push your foot to the outside, causing pressure even if the shoe technically is wide enough. This is a problem that shows up more with harder pedaling than with lighter spinning, and definitely doesn't appear while you're trying them on.

2. The strap position is much much better. Sidi Genius shoes are notorious for frequently irritating the top of your foot with their stiff and misplaced strap. The DMT strap is also softer (similar to what Sidi's Ergo and Dragon have implemented).

3. The sole is more curved and thus a lot narrower in the arch area, so it has more chance of shaping to a narrow foot properly. The heel is quite narrow. The ball isn't super-narrow, but when you're riding and that's where your feet are spreading out the most, I wouldn't go too tight there anyway. I have a AA heel and an A/B forefoot, and these shoes fit like a charm. Sizing, by the way, seems for me to be 1/2 size smaller than Sidi's, but that is mostly just in the better fit of the ratcheted strap.

4. Durability has been great. I didn't think the varnish they're now putting on the leather would do much, but they don't show much wear after nearly a season. I use one pair with track pedals, clips and double straps, and they don't show significant wear despite all the extra abuse.

One thing: The sole curvature is a little different from Sidis and the standard Look-based cleats, so plan on having to shim it with a little bit of plastic to make your cleats work just right. This is not uncommon with many shoes.

Bottom line: Great shoes. Go to Europe and they are the standard custom shoe maker for the pros and have private-labeled their shoes for many of the major brands. A+++

kelmeboyAZ
07-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the great responses!

scottcw
07-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Let me throw another one in to the mix here... has anyone tried the new Specialized Pro Carbon shoe? Some European cycling magazine I glanced through over the weekend reviewed 8-10 carbon road shoes. The Specialized were rated the highest with the Pearl Izumi. Specialized got best buy, IP got editor's choice awards.

Along with all their body geometry stuff, the stack height of the Specialized is only 6mm, which is appealing to me as I am using Bebop pedals and want to keep sole thickness to a minimum.

Legend_1970
07-12-2004, 12:02 PM
I haven't tried the Specialized Pro, but I did just recently try on (didn't ride them) a pair of the Specialized Carbon comps, which are the same as the pro's minus the ratchet thing. Very pronounced bump (meta.... arch) which is there on purpose towards the front of the shoe.
The only negative thing was that they seemed a bit overbuilt around the heel, a lot of padding there..

scottcw
07-12-2004, 12:39 PM
The only negative thing was that they seemed a bit overbuilt around the heel, a lot of padding there..

Aren't they supposed to be worn without socks?

bostondrunk
07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
thats just gross...

scottcw
07-12-2004, 01:44 PM
thats just gross...

I think that they have a liner that acts as a built-in sock. Several basketball shoes are made this way.

bostondrunk
07-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Yes, it has a neoprone (or neoprone-like) liner. I'm not so sure that it means you aren't supposed to wear socks though...

alembical
07-12-2004, 02:05 PM
BostonDrunk,
I typically for at least shorter rides in the summer, prefer no socks. What is so gross about that? It is not like the sock absorbs the foot sweat and keeps the shoes dry anyway. Why not take advantage of the circulation modern shoes offer and get some fresh air in there?

Alembical

scottcw
07-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Well, I tried the Specialized Pro Carbons on today and left with a new pair. Easily the most comfortable biking shoe that I could imagine. Like putting on a pair of slippers. Will try them out on the road this weekend if it stops raining.