PDA

View Full Version : OT - Restaurants in SLC

tab123
09-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I will be in Salt Lake City for a conference in early October. I would appreciate any restaurant suggestions. When in the West, I usually try to go to Mexican (or Tex-Mex or Southwestern) restaurants. However, any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you.

bozman
09-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Red Iguana. Their mole's are fabulous.

http://www.rediguana.com/home.html

PaulE
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
order a bottle of beer or a bottle of wine, not a mixed drink. When you ask for a bottle of beer or a bottle of wine, that's what you'll get. Say you order a dry Beefeater martini on the rocks - you get a glass of ice cubes rinsed in gin. I'm just sayin based on my one and only trip to Utah in early March in the mid 90's when I was supposed to be skiing but there was a freak rain storm which converted skiing time into drinking time in both Park City and Salt Lake City. Things may have changed in this regard and I hope they have.

chuckred
09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
If you want a special place -La Caille- beautiful grounds, etc. It's been years since I was there, but it was spectacular back then...

For a little drive/scenery - Deer Valley/Park City has some great restaurants.

Downtown - Oyster Bar/ Market Street Grill was excellent and a favorite...

Red Iquana mole was legendary! If it's the place I'm thinking of... not a place you probably want to go after dark though, or at least if you want scenery... great for lunch!

michael white
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Used to love Red Iguana, Ruth's in Emigration Canyon, and also there was a great burger stand--Hire's I think was the name of it. this is going back a few years. lots of great places of every sort except bbq.

Brendan Quirk
09-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Not sure if top-notch Mexican has made it to SLC yet...but Cucina Toscana has fabulous Italian, and Takashi has stupendous sushi.

Keep in mind you can't order a beer at a bar without having 'intent to eat', i.e. order some chips & salsa to keep the waiter from stressing out.

And man oh man, do yourself a favor and read Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven" while you're at it. Great book, and interesting in how Krakauer minimizes the LDS eccentricities you'll see in SLC in comparison to what goes on in rural UT, AZ, and elsewhere. I dug it more than "Into the Wild" -- another great book.

Have fun. It's a beautiful place. Brendan

Kirk007
09-17-2007, 03:43 PM
+ 1 - Red Iguana is top notch, down home, wait in a line outside for a small table in a crowded room, break into a sweat place. If its Mexican you want this is the place to go.

Greg

tab123
09-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Red Iguana it is!

djg
09-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Yep, Red Iguana is good and very reasonable -- if they have a fish special, go for it.

Toscana is good, and the guy who runs the place is a good (and theatrical) host. We go back each year and I'm not sure if he remembers us or not, but he's happy to act as if we're old friends.