PDA

View Full Version : aeolus + rock = a-ok

Climb01742
09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
yesterday i was rolling along on my c50 with bontrager aeolus 5.0. coming toward me was a swell-looking porsche. i looked...for a tad longer than i should have. BANG! CRACK! i nailed a sizeable, sharp rock. blew my front tire, cutting the rubber all the way to the kevlar. the impact was hard.

but the good news is: the aeolus front wheel is a-ok, not a scratch or crack. senor jerk his-self checked it today. and while i had to replace the vittoria open corsa EVO CX tire, it was tough enough yesterday to let me ride another two hours.

carbon is often knocked here for being fragile. well there's at least one carbon wheel strong enough to let some fool day-dream over a 911 when he should have been paying attention. thank you bontrager and vittoria for making products tough enuf to withstand porsche-envy. :rolleyes:

FlaRider
09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Climb - what brakes/brake pads are you using with the Bontys? I own a set of xxx lite carbon clinchers (and have used both the Bonty cork pads and the set of SwissStop black pads that came with my LWs) and have been very disappointed with the braking, even in dry conditions. Thanks.

Climb01742
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Climb - what brakes/brake pads are you using with the Bontys? I own a set of xxx lite carbon clinchers (and have used both the Bonty cork pads and the set of SwissStop black pads that came with my LWs) and have been very disappointed with the braking, even in dry conditions. Thanks.

agree, braking is sketchy. have DA brakes with red pads (swiss stop i believe.) better than bonty cork. i wouldn't ride these in the rain. but paired with the c50, it's the sweetest riding combo i've found.

shinomaster
09-17-2007, 01:35 PM
May I borrow them for my cross race next week?

Climb01742
09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
May I borrow them for my cross race next week?

sure. just swing by and pick 'em up. :rolleyes:

davids
09-17-2007, 03:30 PM
sure. just swing by and pick 'em up. :rolleyes:
I'll get 'em for you Shino.

...I was looking at a set of these at IBC on Saturday. I'd love to see what the fuss is about! Of course, the new Mavics looked pretty swell too, and the yellow accents would go well with the Love #3's paint...

Ti Designs
09-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm left starving for details. Which Porsche was it? I need details - air or water cooled? N/A or turbo? 2 or 4WD? One of the GT series maybe??? Any damage to the rock?

Climb01742
09-17-2007, 06:03 PM
ed, it was a turbo. i'm a sucker for air intake ducts. the rock has tread marks but is otherwise resting comfortably in maynard.

jhcakilmer
09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Not fragile hun........can you say taco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcodisONKs

SPOKE
09-17-2007, 09:45 PM
i really want a dark grey 2008 GT2!!!!!!
i'll have to win a sizeable lottery inorder to make the purchase :crap: :crap: :crap:

musgravecycles
09-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Not fragile hun........can you say taco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcodisONKs

That's a Lightweight bro. I imagine that impact woulda killed just about any wheel...

jhcakilmer
09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
That's a Lightweight bro. I imagine that impact woulda killed just about any wheel...

Dude, what ya talking about, "any wheel". I've seen much more serious impacts than that. The impact seemed to be at a very slow speed, since the rider barely cleared the dog, also who probably absorbed most of the impact.

If I remember correctly, Jan Ulrich went head-over-heals, on a set of ADA/lightweights, which could be considered truly lightweight, and I think he kept riding the same bike and wheels.

I think your doing a little "devil's advocate", aren't ya???

Fixed
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
wheels alum. or carbon it's what we got
cheers
even I don't want wood ... well i haven't tried any of those they were gone already when I started lookin in the junk bin but I might have like em
2 hrs on a monday I thought most of you cats took mon. as a rest day
cheers