PDA

View Full Version : Itching for the SRAM RED

Scrafford
09-17-2007, 07:21 AM
3 Years ago I brought a Serotta Ottrot for my 50th bday and had it made with Dura Ace components. I find myself recently having the itch to buy a new bike or at the very least new components. The bike is wonderful and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Dura Ace except I would like to have a compact crank. My LBS is willing to install new components for free if I buy the component through them and then they would put the DA on my old bike. My riding style is to do club rides and centuries. I have never raced, but consider myself an avid cyclist who puts over 5,000 miles per year on the bike. I have no real reason to change components except that I haven't changed anything on the bike and am mesmerized by the SRAM RED gruppo. Any one else spends almost $2000.00 because of an itch. Any comments would be welcomed.

dave1215
09-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Any one else spends almost $2000.00 because of an itch. Any comments would be welcomed.

unless you earn a living riding or racing your bike, isn't this all just scratching an itch?

Dave B
09-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Get Campy, you'll be happier and stuff won't break while you ride it.

Fixed
09-17-2007, 08:28 AM
bro if it works why change
imho
cheers

maccpres
09-17-2007, 08:30 AM
SRAM has no business charging more than the proven groups. Get a super bling Crank with ceramic bearings and some areo wheels for your $2000.
My .02

Dave B
09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
bro if it works why change
imho
cheers

Psychologist told me once that if you have grown up in a very troubled household wiht a disfunctional family, change it very theraputic.

He could have been a whack-o, but it sounded pretty profound to e at the time.

Funny though, it also causes many demons!

MilanoTom
09-17-2007, 09:11 AM
If SRAM Red were only $1000 bucks for the groupset, would you be just as mesmerized?

Regards.
Tom

PS - I agree with the idea of the super bling crankset and wheels.

Avispa
09-17-2007, 09:18 AM
I have no real reason to change components except that I haven't changed anything on the bike and am mesmerized by the SRAM RED gruppo. Any one else spends almost $2000.00 because of an itch. Any comments would be welcomed.

With that 2K, I'd get the new Shimano Carbon Crankset, ceramic bearings for it, and repaint the Ottrott!

You wouldn't believe what a new paint would do to your bike....

From what I've heard, don't waste your money on SRAM, it is not there yet!

A!

benb
09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
A whole new groupset for $2000 is a hell of a lot less insane then $2000 for a Carbon crankset (probably no benefit), Ceramic bearings (again probably no benefit), and a paint job.

You might want to wait a bit for reports on how Red works but most of us who have Force or Rival would say it is very close to "there" so Red may improve enough to really be close to perfect.

oldguy00
09-17-2007, 11:27 AM
The Red groupo's price isn't -that- terrible if you consider the ceramic upgrades in it. Thats NOT to say its worth the extra money for ceramics.......but if you are the type of person who is gonna buy DA or Record and then buy all new Ceramic bearings, then you'll be spending 2k anyway...

itsflantastic
09-17-2007, 11:36 AM
considering your starting place is an ottrot. . .

new wheels = new bike imho.
I say spend the money on some bling wheels. Your bike will feel new and different.

Steve Hampsten
09-17-2007, 11:53 AM
You want it?

Get it.

bostondrunk
09-17-2007, 11:57 AM
You want it?

Get it.

exactly

fstrthnu
09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
We have been testing the new cassette and brakes from the SRAM Gruppo and they are fantastic. If the rest of the gruppo lives up to it's claims I think you will see a lot of Dura-Ace/Record enthusiasts switch over to Red if only just to try it out. All three gruppo's are top notch and it is nice to have one more option in the high-end department.

CaliFly
09-17-2007, 01:53 PM
You want it?

Get it.

Moreso...

You want it? You can afford it? Get it.

Ride to live. Live to ride. Cheers!

Pete Serotta
09-17-2007, 01:56 PM
SRAM RED is this that from NAPA or ALEXANDER VALLEY????

sspielman
09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
We have been testing the new cassette and brakes from the SRAM Gruppo and they are fantastic. If the rest of the gruppo lives up to it's claims I think you will see a lot of Dura-Ace/Record enthusiasts switch over to Red if only just to try it out. All three gruppo's are top notch and it is nice to have one more option in the high-end department.

Did John K. keep a set of those for his bike?...If I bump into him I will have to check them out..I am curious about the cassette

soulspinner
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Its not like some people who buy the stuff and let it sit. You are a 5000 mile a year guy who obviously can afford it and its one of your passions. DO IT. :beer:

Pete Serotta
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM
You have stated a VERY good reason for getting it. YOU use it and you would like it.......Good for mental and physical health.

3 Years ago I brought a Serotta Ottrot for my 50th bday and had it made with Dura Ace components. I find myself recently having the itch to buy a new bike or at the very least new components. The bike is wonderful and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Dura Ace except I would like to have a compact crank. My LBS is willing to install new components for free if I buy the component through them and then they would put the DA on my old bike. My riding style is to do club rides and centuries. I have never raced, but consider myself an avid cyclist who puts over 5,000 miles per year on the bike. I have no real reason to change components except that I haven't changed anything on the bike and am mesmerized by the SRAM RED gruppo. Any one else spends almost $2000.00 because of an itch. Any comments would be welcomed.

paczki
09-17-2007, 05:21 PM
If you want it, you can afford it and you ride it, buy it. There's a lot more nonsense you could spend money on. It looks like great stuff, and I'd be curious how many of the people slamming SRAM have actually tried it.

fstrthnu
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Did John K. keep a set of those for his bike?...If I bump into him I will have to check them out..I am curious about the cassette

No... Jonny Sundt has been racing on the brakes since Philly and has been on the cassette for a month or so. The brakes are incredibly stable and the cassette speaks for itself. I really hope SRAM continues to work with us next year...

Scrafford
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Sometimes nothing feels better than scratching an itch. I could wait till more people have reported on SRAM Red, but I think I will order this for the cold riding. It will help me get out on the bike when it is freezing. I will give a report on my experience. Thanks again. :D

paczki
09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Who has it for sale?

Scrafford
09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I have seen it for sale on www.competitivecyclist.com .

Bruce K
09-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I saw the www.cyclocrossworld team bikes being set up tonight. Lots of SRAM Red.

The cassette is an amazing piece of machine work and engineering and amazingly light.

The rear derailleur feels like it weighs nothing.

The shifters look very nice as well.

Still not fond of the crank sets. I would continue to use the FSA with ceramic BB.

There is definitely a Power Dome cassette in my future and maybe a rear er. for the Meivici.

BK

Longdaddy
09-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Scratch that itch! It's good for the economy, cycling, mind, body and soul.

For me, I'm saving for some crazy light/aero wheels for no reason at all....

dutri42590
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
2008 dura ace will have a compact 50/34

cadence90
09-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Competitive Cyclist's write-up on SRAM Red (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=WHATS_NEW&WHATS_NEW.ID=180&utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_content=offer%2Bbox&utm_campaign=E-091807%2BSRAM%2BRed%2B-%2Bnondreambike%2Blist).

My itch would be for '07 Record and Boras, though.

frenk
09-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Am I the only one that finds those competitivecyclist's write-ups annoying?

Regarding the new cassette: when I saw it I thought how bad it will eat through the freehub body splines. How does it perform in that respect?
Does it work well with a full Dura Ace group?

Bruce K
09-18-2007, 07:50 AM
I don't know that anyone has ridden the cassette long enough to know for sure. From the looks of it, eating through the splines will not be a problem as the lugs are more like 2 gears wide.

It is supposed to be usable with D-A or SRAM.

BK

benb
09-18-2007, 09:46 AM
One thing that is very simple & easy to do with SRAM is to tear the rear derailluer cage apart and clean the pulleys & bearings.

You better be doing this like once a week if you think you need ceramic bearings... cause there is no way the difference between metallic & ceramic bearings is more significant then even a day or twos worth of grease & gunk on the pulleys.

I don't know what it says about Competitive Cyclists customers if they've had "countless" people pay $160 for a bearing swap.