PDA

View Full Version : Single Speed

Chris
09-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Fixed's Tsunami got me thinking. I need a single speed mountain bike or better yet, something I can do cross on. Any suggestions?

Fixed
09-16-2007, 09:45 PM
fixed mt' biking is a gas imho
cheers

cheap red line mono cog

swoop
09-16-2007, 09:51 PM
i had big fun on a bianchi guss two years ago. cheap...and perfect for getting out on the trail...

coylifut
09-16-2007, 11:35 PM
you can single speed cross on a 26" wheel SS MTB, but using a SS cross bike doesn't work that well on the trail. So, if you can only have one, opt for the mtb and use narrower/faster tires for cx and put the big meat back on for the trail. I have a Kelly Knobby X SS with 700 cc wheels and a flat bar that I use for CX. It's all kinds of fun.

Oh, and make sure to splurge for a White Industries free wheel. If you don't, you'll wish you did.

ss-jimbo
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I have to respectfully disagree. I ride a cross bike on trails all the time, and except for the rootiest/rockiest of them, I love it. No matter what speed you go, skinny tires on dirt feels like you're screaming, and talk about acceleration. Mmmm, mmmm good.

As far as bikes go, you can get into it pretty cheap with a Bianchi Santa Cruz SS cross bike. Steel, decent parts.

You'll have a blast, and if you have a geared bike, it will gather dust.

you can single speed cross on a 26" wheel SS MTB, but using a SS cross bike doesn't work that well on the trail. So, if you can only have one, opt for the mtb and use narrower/faster tires for cx and put the big meat back on for the trail. I have a Kelly Knobby X SS with 700 cc wheels and a flat bar that I use for CX. It's all kinds of fun.

Oh, and make sure to splurge for a White Industries free wheel. If you don't, you'll wish you did.

Bruce K
09-17-2007, 01:18 PM
+1

I have more fun on my Zanconato single speed crosser with the Schwalbe Fast Fred tires than I ever did on an MTB.

I just stay away from the super technical/rocky stuff.

BK

coylifut
09-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. I ride a cross bike on trails all the time, and except for the rootiest/rockiest of them, I love it. No matter what speed you go, skinny tires on dirt feels like you're screaming, and talk about acceleration. Mmmm, mmmm good.

As far as bikes go, you can get into it pretty cheap with a Bianchi Santa Cruz SS cross bike. Steel, decent parts.

You'll have a blast, and if you have a geared bike, it will gather dust.

the point I'm trying to make is it's hard to follow your friends with full sussers on a cx bike down the big descents, but a rigid mtb with real slack angles and fat tires is no problem.