PDA

View Full Version : A shout out to Forumites at the PPTC century today

Smiley
09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
It was a great day to be out on the bike. Rapid Tourist, I have two words for you SRAM RED.

Co-Mo tandem today, rode 66.1 hilly and slightly windy miles at 16.5 mph and we noodled the last 20 miles with RT :banana:

sc53
09-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Good to see you and Karen today Mr :D ! Weather was quite chilly esp compared to last year's PPTC Century when it was HOT HOT HOT. I kept my tights on till the last rest stop at White Post today and wore my jacket the whole ride till the last 3 miles. Nice change from this summer's heat. These are some of the most beautiful roads in all of Virginia. Only Albemarle Co. (Charlottesville area) compares in rural splendor and Blue Ridge views with the route this century takes in Warren and Clarke Counties, VA. Anyone who skipped it: come out next year! Well supported, well run, and well you may see Smiley and Karen along the way! Always a plus.

Smiley
09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
We left without saying good bye, hope the massage worked out the kinks. See you soon on the road sc53 :banana:

palincss
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Weather was quite chilly esp compared to last year's PPTC Century when it was HOT HOT HOT. I kept my tights on till the last rest stop at White Post today and wore my jacket the whole ride till the last 3 miles. Nice change from this summer's heat.

I could have done with at least a bit of summer today. It was 42 degrees when I started at 7:15 this morning. Fortunately, I had plenty of warm clothing - I just couldn't make up my mind what to wear. I never did get my tights off today, although I did change from the fleece tights to the lightweight ones at noon.

Did you get any of the tomato sandwiches at White Post? They were out when I was there.

What distance did you do?

Scrafford
09-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Started the century at 7 AM and it was cold. The ride is beautiful with great roads, wonderful views and little traffic. The tomato sandwiches were great. It was unbelievable that many people were riding in shorts and short sleeve jerseys. Saw several serotta shirts but very few serotta bikes. Great day to be out riding. :beer:

Smiley
09-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I could have done with at least a bit of summer today. It was 42 degrees when I started at 7:15 this morning. Fortunately, I had plenty of warm clothing - I just couldn't make up my mind what to wear. I never did get my tights off today, although I did change from the fleece tights to the lightweight ones at noon.

Did you get any of the tomato sandwiches at White Post? They were out when I was there.

What distance did you do?
Steve , I must of had 3 pita and tomato sandwiches .... sorry and yes we did the metric.

Rapid Tourist
09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Did the metric myself, and it was a privilege and pleasure to share the final 20 miles with our own Smiley and Karen -- and the amazing part is I almost kept up. :) :)

The only downer was snapping my chain one mile from the finish line. It broke clean apart. What a drag. Some very nice strangers with a chain tool got me back up and running within minutes, though, for which I was very grateful/ :)

As Smiley said, "if you didn't ride that campy cr_p, you never would have busted a chain, RT!"

What a gorgeous ride. That is a MUST DO if you are local!

Sandy
09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Now I am feeling bad that I did not attend. I know lots of cyclists who participated. Some were doing the metric and some were doing the 50 mile ride. I had ridden a long, but easy ride on Saturday, so I decided to do a shorter easy ride in the AM with a friend, and spend time with my wife later.

sc53- Didn't know that you were going. I would have called you. I was suppose to do the metric with a friend (or the 50 with some other cyclists that I know, at 8:45) but he wanted to get there at 7:30 AM.... and it was best for me to stay home anyway. Let me know, please, if you want to do a long ride anytime soon. Is Steve P going to be leading long ones in the near future?

Hope that you all really enjoyed yourself!!

Jealous Sandy

palincss
09-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Is Steve P going to be leading long ones in the near future?

Jealous Sandy

Yes, although the mileages are going to get shorter now that summer's over.

I'll be leading a 56 mile ride from Thurmont Community Park, Three Covered Bridges and a Bullfrog in October, the weekend after the Catoctin Colorfest (I learned the hard way about that one - scheduled a ride start once from Thurmont Community Park on the day of the festival, found 10,000 visitors in Thurmont and no place in town to park without paying). I'll also be leading a 53 mile ride from White Marsh Elementary School in Mechanicsville MD down to Colton Point in October.

If you're looking for a good long ride real soon, I recommend the Amish 100 next weekend from Leonardtown MD. They have a metric as well as an english century. Online registration is closed, but there will be day of the event registration. Another long alternative for next weekend is PPTC's 60 miler on Kent Island next Sunday. I'm trying to talk sc53 into doing that one with me.

znfdl
09-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Sorry I missed the ride it sounds like people had a great time.

My wife and I are feveriously working on our yard. Got 50 plants in the ground yesterday and another 60 are to be delivered this week.