PDA

View Full Version : What's the name of a toughest climb? Hors categorie? So I took Johnny Cash

Gothard
09-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Today we climbed the highest mountain pass in Switzerland, The Nufenen (Passo Novena in italian). It bridges Valais to Ticino. It was a quiet 2 hour drive to Airolo, then a *hard* climb. Over 4500 ft elevation gain, cold weather. I was thinking of that movie line: "where does that lead? -According to Victor Hugo, nowhere" as we entered the clouds. The temperature on top was 6 above freezing, so we did not stay long.
Still worth every effort.

Pete Serotta
09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
George, thanks for sharing the sites with us..... I think I saw some SUN in the later pictures. Did you go back down the climb or did you have other transportation?

PETE

Gothard
09-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Went down on the bikes. After 2 miles, it felt as if someone had injected quick-set concrete into my knees, and at the same time had taken my fingers away... :rolleyes:

Dekonick
09-16-2007, 12:42 PM
How long to climb?

How long to descend?

Johnny Cash serves you well. :)

BoulderGeek
09-16-2007, 01:07 PM
You guys are so mighty! Huge effort, I am sure.

OK, that's it, I need to go for a ride.

Elefantino
09-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Do I see correctly … only one of you has a triple?

Erik.Lazdins
09-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Great pics - please keep riding, taking pics, and posting them!

Excellent pictures - is this a small camera?

pdbrye
09-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow, you guys have some "to die for" riding. Thanks for the pics, looks awesome!

Ahneida Ride
09-16-2007, 10:13 PM
WOW !!

Oh yea I just LOVE the no decal Orange Ottrott !!!!!! ;)

gary135r
09-16-2007, 11:00 PM
cool pics. I love the Alpen region. I'm jealous. been fighting a hip flexor strain and have been rehabing it, right now I can barely make it up my driveway.

Gothard
09-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Elefantino,
I have a triple, but managed to stay out of the small ring. It is going on the next bike, to be replaced by a 53/39.
The Ottrott has a 34/50 compact.
Dekonick, the climb was about 2 hours, the descent less than 45 minutes.
Erik, it is a small Sony DCSP200, 7.2 megapixel. large as a cigarette pack, or a phone.

CPP
09-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Dearest George,
Oh where oh where is Vincent!!??

frenk
09-17-2007, 04:46 AM
Living pretty close, I rode the Nufenen several times, but it's always special.
The side you took (from Ticino) is the longer one, the other side is a bit shorter but steeper. Probably the hardest Swiss pass for me.

A couple of years ago I was there with my girlfriend -now wife-, she is not a very keen cyclist, but she enjoys some riding especially in summer. That summer she decided that the Nufenen was the season goal.
We left the car in Ulrichen and started the climb. The weater was about the same as the OP pictures. When we reached the top it started raining, not heavy rain but not so light either.
It was about mid september, so it was already pretty cool, and with rain it became quite cold.
We immediately started the downhill to get back to the car as fast as possible, but the cold rain was really freezing us. Fortunately after a couple of switchbacks we caught a vintage bus (:confused: the only vehicle on the pass...).
We drafted the bus and enjoyed the warmth coming out from the engine and from the exhaust. We knew our life expectancy was probably decreasing with every km we rode inside the black smoke, but the warmth feeling was too good to let the bus go.

...just another day on the Nufenen :D

P.S. if you are in good shape for the Ticino-side a 39x25 could be enough (maybe 39x27 is better, but no need for more), for the Valais side a 39x27 is really the minimum.
If you are young and in race-shape you can survive with the 39x25, otherwise a compact or triple is a good idea.

Gothard
09-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Chris,
Vincent is training with his grandparents in Sion while we do these rides.
Frenk, I have done the Ulrichen side once, maybe 12 years ago...with a 42/23. Stoopid youth....

CPP
09-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey George,
If you are climbing with the middle ring on your triple, aren't you still using your 42??
By the way, MC looks great on the bike

Gothard
09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Chris,
Swapped it for a 39. No ramps and pins make going up from the small less smooth, but I have not used the small ring in a loooong while :D That triple gets taken off at Christmas.

Karin Kirk
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Awesome ride report George!
I love hearing about your weekly sojourns - please keep riding and keep posting.

So cool to see you both out there doing those epic rides together. Good for you both!

CPP
09-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Great George, now........... shave your legs. You will make the beefcake calender at the hospital. OOOOOOOHHHHH YEAH

Gothard
09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi Chris,
No shaving, sorry. btw I resigned.

CPP
09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Sorry or happy to hear that,
Come by chez moi

malcolm
09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Johnny Cash is a beautiful bike, but Climbs old ottrott is still one of the best looking serottas I've ever seen. As always great pics and bikes. Thanks