PDA

View Full Version : I may need an ermine cape and a tiara --

SadieKate
09-15-2007, 10:51 PM
to ride this. Keeping my fingers crossed that Mr. Kellogg will be able to ship on Monday.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Spectrum%20Frame/Amici1.jpg

I think Jennifer Green's headbadge turned seat tube badge looks pretty good there.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Spectrum%20Frame/Amici3.jpg

Louis
09-15-2007, 11:02 PM
SK, very nice.

So, if I remember correctly, this is bike with the "custom" badge request that created all that ruckus in a thread a while back? Doesn't look terribly controversial to me. Enjoy the ride.

Louis

SadieKate
09-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Louis, you remember correctly. At the time, I was contemplating a sloping top tube which would have meant the badge wouldn't have shown in this location. But Tom has kept the tube nearly level and according to the drawings it should be fine. And since I prefer level top tubes, we should have a win-win situation.

Did I just say that cliche? Gag me. :p

Steelhead
09-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Beautiful - love the Spectrum stuff. How long was the wait? That badge would make a good tattoo.

Steve Hampsten
09-15-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm afraid I expected a trainwreck on this project - color me impressed! Well done to both of youse.

It'll ship when it ships.

Sandy
09-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Gorgeous! Love the badge. If Tom Kellogg does it, it will only turn out one way- Beautiful, classy, elegant, and will ride like a dream.....

Nightmare Sandy

djg
09-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Nonsense. Simple white gloves of royalty, and proper bearing, will distinguish you just plenty on that bike. Remember to practice the wave before you ride in public.

rwsaunders
09-16-2007, 10:48 AM
My school colors. Very sharp. +1 on the tattoo.

Kevan
09-16-2007, 04:23 PM
very cool. I like how the badge was "framed".

Umm....see Sandy about the tiara. Actually, he has a couple and he should be able to part with one of them.

Too Tall
09-16-2007, 06:22 PM
+1 Looks great. You are one lucky camper.
White tape and a garage door in the picture?

Congrrats. :)

Peter P.
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Congratulations for having enough sense of style to add color to what would otherwise be just another titanium frame and carbon fork.

That's what I call thinking outside the box!

And thanks to Tom Kellogg for working with her to meet both of your needs!

soulspinner
09-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Tom is the man-he has done it again.

SadieKate
09-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks, everyone for the nice comments. Sandy, I'm more of a pearls kind of gal, just in case you were thinking of sending me diamonds. :p

White tape and a garage door in the picture? Um, I get the obligatory garage door picture for later, but the white tape? Maybe I'm just too tired. Started packing up 17 years of stuff. Found a brand new 1" AMP Research sus fork behind the hockey sticks though. Just what every gal needs in the 21st century.

Any way, Too Tall, you'll have to explain the tape to dense ol' me.

And, Peter P., round 2 of bad cliche usage goes to you. :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
09-16-2007, 07:44 PM
I've got one of Jen Green's badges on my cross bike and my X-mas present to myself is going to be a badge for my Legend . . . something with the Serotta "S" and an enameled sunflower and bumblebee in there. She does REALLY good work!

Did you have this frame clear-coated? Manet had his spectrum at Smiley's summer before last and when I ran my finger over the metal-paint junction there was no seam! I'm going "What the . . . ?!?" and Manet explained the whole frame had about 20 coats of clear on it. BEAUTIFUL!

BBD

SadieKate
09-16-2007, 08:10 PM
I only had the paint clearcoated. I'm going to use this bike for brevets and day tours which means there can be bag straps around the seat stays. Over the years, I've really liked how easy it is to keep bare Ti looking good so I had Tom leave any place that gets wear and tear free of anything that could chip. I'm just assuming that if Tom thought it wouldn't look nice that he would have advised me to do otherwise. He's been very thoughtful about the entire package and the little details.

Hubby has one of Jen's headbadges on his Spot SS mtb. His bike was from their Canadian era so it has a beautiful red enameled maple leaf (to go with his red Velocity rims on wheels built by me). The man has excellent taste. :)

rpm
09-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Sadie--

With that bike you should not only wear the ermine, but you should use it polish the bike. It's as nice looking as any bike you'll ever see. I'll bet the ride is as good as the looks.

rnhood
09-16-2007, 09:15 PM
That sure is a nice looking frame. It reeks of quality.

jel
09-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Oh dear! I'm afraid I am just too common to be seen in your company now SK! Too, too, beautiful! :cool:

Ahneida Ride
09-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Another WOW !!! Love that color! So rich and effective. :banana:

SadieKate
09-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Oh dear! I'm afraid I am just too common to be seen in your company now SK! Too, too, beautiful! :cool:I'm sure you can manage to scale to our lofty heights in a couple weeks, even if only for a few minutes as we're both off to Oregon soon after.

RIHans
09-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Ya' done good...Sweet!!!
Now build it, and take pix by the garage door, and yada, yada. :)

Enjoy!
Hans

Tom Kellogg
09-20-2007, 12:56 PM
First - thanks for the compliments. SK deserves the kudos though. She came up with the paint scheme. I just followed her instructions. :beer:

Second - SK; give the folks the short version of the delivery "issues." What fun! :crap:

93legendti
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
to ride this. Keeping my fingers crossed that Mr. Kellogg will be able to ship on Monday.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Spectrum%20Frame/Amici1.jpg

I think Jennifer Green's headbadge turned seat tube badge looks pretty good there.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Spectrum%20Frame/Amici3.jpg

Nice! What are the colors?

Tom Kellogg
10-02-2007, 05:32 PM
The purple is a pretty dark Royal Purple. SadieKate send me samples and simply asked me to match her mixes. The gold is a match as well. I took a pure gold metallic and had to add quite a bit of copper flake to match her sample. It came out as a darkish gold leaf look.

Avispa
10-02-2007, 05:43 PM
The purple is a pretty dark Royal Purple. SadieKate send me samples and simply asked me to match her mixes. The gold is a match as well. I took a pure gold metallic and had to add quite a bit of copper flake to match her sample. It came out as a darkish gold leaf look.

Nice bike.... I wonder how does Spectrum (or whoever paints their bikes) manages to do a clean transition from paint to bare metal without a tape off, like Serotta.... Surely looks cleaner, atmo.

>>A<<

SadieKate
10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Tom does the painting and masks the transitions. The paint is clearcoated and the ti left bare.

To pick the colors, I actually went to the hardware store and picked a bajillion paint chips and bought some liquid leaf paint. Interesting, the paint color is "Windsor Purple" so royal purple is the right description and the gold is matched to Plaid Liquid Leaf "Renaissance Gold". I painted the gold on the chip and then spraypainted it with clear acrylic to simulate Imron, and then sent this to Tom. Great job of matching, Tom.

As soon as I get the final stem chosen I'll send some pictures. It received lots of oohs and ahs at the ride this weekend.

93legendti
10-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Very nice combo.

barry1021
10-03-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd steal that combo in an instant if I ever went custom. Fabulous, can't wait to see it built out....

b21

Avispa
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Tom does the painting and masks the transitions. The paint is clearcoated and the ti left bare.

Yeah... Serotta does the same thing. What I don't get is the tape off part! :no: :mad: :crap:

..A..