PDA

View Full Version : Here's to you, Mr. Wanna-be Racer on the bike path!

PoppaWheelie
09-15-2007, 02:54 PM
...as you blew down the crowded bike path towards Sausilto today with your buddies at about 8:30 and screamed at the gang of recreational cyclists in your lane I thought, "Oooooo...now THAT is a cool guy!". As you made it clear to those riders how pissed you were I thought, "Ooooo...what style...!". As you reached out with your forearm and close-lined me and the other last two riders waiting to get around that gang I thought "HOW can I be more like THAT guy??"

Seriously dude, I've spent years riding in both the sticks and in downtown NYC, and I've seen some dumb crap...but reaching out and essentially punching three fellow roadies at 20mph because a bunch of other people were in the way...?? Now THAT takes some guts. I raise my glass to you, dumb-a$$.

We were so stunned that by the time we decided that you needed to be chased down it was too late...triple stupid-points goes to you for hitting my 220 pound friend. Maybe next time we'll get to talk it over, yes...?

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
. . . that if you ride there often enough you will see him again, especially if you come back to this same spot, same day and time next week.

Local cops do bike patrol? Or maybe county sheriff on that trail? Maybe worth giving them a call and seeing if one of them could hang around that same day and time next week . . .

BBD

Fixed
09-15-2007, 03:59 PM
stress bro don't worry he's killin himself .imho
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2007, 04:04 PM
cheers

. . . before or after he kills some other poor slower b@stard JRA on the trail?

BBD

PoppaWheelie
09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Well yes, I suppose...but I think I'm over it...I'm sure there must be some wisdom in just letting it go and moving on bigger and better things. My wife and 2 year old kid just came home...and sun just came out....oh look, it's my Happy Place...!

One day last year I was riding through some housing projects near my old apartment in SF, on the way to work, and some guy started taking pot-shots at me with an air rifle. I contacted the police and it took nearly 40 minutes on the phone to even speak with someone who would take my complaint...and they clearly didn't seem to be all that bothered by it. With regard to today's fun I'm not sure that a call from me - in an area where the cops are somewhat irritated by cyclists anyway - would get any traction. C'est la vie...

Did I mention that the sun is out??

H.Frank Beshear
09-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Uhm It slipped off the top tube :rolleyes: Sorry :D

Pete Serotta
09-15-2007, 04:17 PM
A very nice meet and greet tool!!! :cool:

Uhm It slipped off the top tube :rolleyes: Sorry :D

Fixed
09-15-2007, 04:17 PM
. . . before or after he kills some other poor slower b@stard JRA on the trail?

BBD
well bro i guess you could stick your frame pump in his ft wheel like the movies

bro we all think alike on most things imho

H.Frank Beshear
09-15-2007, 04:43 PM
well bro i guess you could stick your frame pump in his ft wheel like the movies

bro we all think alike on most things imho

Great minds and all eh Fixed :D

csm
09-15-2007, 04:44 PM
a buddy of mine and I were once riding our mountain bikes locally when we ran into the high school drop-outs drinking beer and shooting air guns at us. We were both prior service and weren't phased at all by red ryders bb guns. needless to say, I don't think they ever did that again.

Rubeboy
09-15-2007, 05:33 PM
...triple stupid-points goes to you for hitting my 220 pound friend...?
Hey! I am not 220! I may have ridden like it today (sorry 'bout that) but I'm well below that. Hats off to that a$$hat though. He is obviously one of the good ones... How can someone be that angry before 8:30 am - or actually, ever?

Sandy
09-15-2007, 05:35 PM
cheers

Young man, you are wise beyond your years. You got it!

Sandy

imp25rs
09-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Why do some people have to be such A$$e$? :crap:

Suddenly my near colision with a drunk cyclist on a local trail last night doesn't seem so bad. It was kinda funny though.

PoppaWheelie
09-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey! I am not 220! I may have ridden like it today (sorry 'bout that) but I'm well below that. Hats off to that a$$hat though. He is obviously one of the good ones... How can someone be that angry before 8:30 am - or actually, ever?

No Rube, you are not 220...but you might be when we get back from Vegas next month...!! It's all part of my plan to handicap you...1 mph at a time, my friend...

Rubeboy
09-15-2007, 06:12 PM
No Rube, you are not 220...but you might be when we get back from Vegas next month...!! It's all part of my plan to handicap you...1 mph at a time, my friend...

Are you threatening to buy me dinner in sin city? I'll take that handicap potential. Just, please, no frame pumps in the front spokes. That'd kinda stink IMHO.

Rubeboy
09-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Ah. So this is how a thread gets off topic so quickly. Sorry. Back to the regularly scheduled rant.

Tom
09-15-2007, 07:16 PM
I overtake a runner on the bike path as I headed home into town... I slow down to ease by him and he... trots from the left side of the path to the right directly in front of me. I slow to a track stand. I see the earbuds. I say "Bike back". He looks over his shoulder, says "Sorry, man."

I should have kept my mouth shut.

I said "Hold your line."

He said "**** you, *******" and a lot of other stuff I didn't hear as I rode away.

I suppose the good part is I am not writing 'I should have not gone back and let him know precisely my general frame of mind.'

Probably because I couldn't make bail these days.

saab2000
09-15-2007, 07:46 PM
...as you blew down the crowded bike path towards Sausilto today with your buddies at about 8:30 and screamed at the gang of recreational cyclists in your lane I thought, "Oooooo...now THAT is a cool guy!". As you made it clear to those riders how pissed you were I thought, "Ooooo...what style...!". As you reached out with your forearm and close-lined me and the other last two riders waiting to get around that gang I thought "HOW can I be more like THAT guy??"

POTY

DarrenCT
09-15-2007, 08:39 PM
have a few of these are you'll be fine. sorry to hear about mr. jacka$$

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/1391/smuttyma6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

LilBolt
09-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Why do some people have to be such A$$e$? :crap:

Suddenly my near colision with a drunk cyclist on a local trail last night doesn't seem so bad. It was kinda funny though.

Deja Vu...I had a similar experience on the trail just north of Redhook on Tuesday. Guy and his girlfriend decided to play 'leapfrog' with 4 of us. The guy was on what looked like a Huffy with chopper handlebars. Sometimes I wonder if it is safer riding with the drunks on the road rather than riding the trail.

Sandy
09-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Bike trails are known to be really dangerous to cyclists. Sometimes crowded with other cyclists, roller bladers, dogs, pedestrians,...Add to that- poor visibilty around certain turns, and cars at intersections that the bike trail may cross, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Their is a 45 mile trail, W@OD, in Virginia (Shirlington to Purceville) that was a feature of a story in the local paper a while back. Over the last several years, ther have been several cyclist fatalities, including car/cyclist and cyclist/cyclist, if I remember correctly.

Please be careful!

Safe Sandy

Kahuna
09-16-2007, 06:16 AM
PoppaWheelie, if it's any consolation, the dumb-a$$ is very likely walking around with a large purple hematoma on his forearm. :cool:

Can you say "painful"?

-K

Tom
09-16-2007, 07:12 AM
I have to say, something I don't get is cyclists cruising the bike path at speed. Not that I haven't and don't do it but that when there are other people there not giving up the speed because, well, the road is for where you go at pace not a path you're sharing with walkers, runners, little kids with their mom and dad, roller bladers (as annoying as those Herman Munster windmills can be) and any manner of other people out enjoying their own activities. The one thing that gets on my nerves is the person that thinks that this is their world and it all revolves around them. Doesn't matter what they are doing.

And the ******* that PoppaWheelie describes. Yow. What the hell is going on in that guy's head?

PoppaWheelie
09-16-2007, 09:40 AM
PoppaWheelie, if it's any consolation, the dumb-a$$ is very likely walking around with a large purple hematoma on his forearm. :cool:

Can you say "painful"?

-K

Sure enough...my bicep hurt ME all day, so I gotta think his hand got the same treatment. All I can say is that I really have to wonder what the rest of this guy's life is like...I mean, if he acts out on that impulse (and who hasn't had this particular frustration...I'm as guilty as any of the THINKING the same thing...) then he has to be real piece of work. Like Fixed says, diggin' his own grave...and missing out on what I think is the best part of riding...contentment....!

Skrawny
09-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Poppa
Did you get a look at the kit the guy was wearing?
-s

Kahuna
09-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Yep, he's just a step above the knucklehead from texas who put the 2 year old girl in the clothes dryer the other week.

Effin' terrorist.

gtmo, atmo.

-K

Sure enough...my bicep hurt ME all day, so I gotta think his hand got the same treatment. All I can say is that I really have to wonder what the rest of this guy's life is like...I mean, if he acts out on that impulse (and who hasn't had this particular frustration...I'm as guilty as any of the THINKING the same thing...) then he has to be real piece of work. Like Fixed says, diggin' his own grave...and missing out on what I think is the best part of riding...contentment....!

rwsaunders
09-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Calling William to Shakytown, calling William to Shakytown......

beungood
09-16-2007, 07:50 PM
I have a plan, me and William, some old BDU's and a pile of burlap, a well prepared hide site near that bike path ,2 paintball guns and some blood red paintballs some regular,some frozen...

All we need is a pace line of say 4 bikes for bait..

I'll let William take care of the offender's valve stems.

Rapid Tourist
09-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Some people are just freakin idiots. And they are destined to live their whole lives as freakin idiots. Just think how much misery he encounters on a daily basis because of rage and impatience. Unfortunate that these bozos can't be sent off to their own island to entertain themselves.

Fixed
09-16-2007, 08:04 PM
they don''t know we are bros .cheers :beer:

mosca
09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Some people are just freakin idiots. And they are destined to live their whole lives as freakin idiots. Just think how much misery he encounters on a daily basis because of rage and impatience. Unfortunate that these bozos can't be sent off to their own island to entertain themselves.Exactly. Just be glad you only had to deal with him for a moment - he has to deal with himself for a lifetime.

RIHans
09-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Where I live, the bike path is the easy, traffic free way to get out-a-town.
I run into all kinds of ear buds runners, swerving rookies, Mommies pushing baby buggies on rollerblades. But I know, after a few years, at this such and such time, you are looking for it.
That said, I never ran into MR.GET OUT OF MY WAY! I hope he runs into another jack a@@ as large as he, and he gets his a@@ beat!
Hans

Edit...I hate to admit it, but back in the day, I learned how to take out a fool who needs a "Heads Up". Track type move. You could have used it.

Bud_E
09-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Bike trails are known to be really dangerous to cyclists. Sometimes crowded with other cyclists, roller bladers, dogs, pedestrians,...Add to that- poor visibilty around certain turns, and cars at intersections that the bike trail may cross, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I've said it before -- I'll say it again. Bike paths are the devil's spawn.

Fixed
09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
bike lanes on the side of city roads = glass pit imho
cheers