PDA

View Full Version : Record v. Centaur

oldmill
09-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Apparently Record no longer comes in silver, which poses a problem because I don't really want black for the handbuilt wheelset I have in mind. How much do I lose in performance and ride quality by going with Centaur? Or is there another (silver) alternative altogether in this price range? I'm looking to pay about $500 for the wheelset. Tnx

Orin
09-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Apparently Record no longer comes in silver, which poses a problem because I don't really want black for the handbuilt wheelset I have in mind. How much do I lose in performance and ride quality by going with Centaur? Or is there another (silver) alternative altogether in this price range? I'm looking to pay about $500 for the wheelset. Tnx

There are still 2006 Record and Chorus and Centaur available if you look around. Total Cycling (www.totalcycling.com) have them but expect to pay more for the Record than the 2007 version! Excel Sports seem to have 2006 Centaur.

For 2006, you gain weight going with Centaur. Chorus and Record have nicer skewers. Record has some titanium bits making it lighter. Centaur has a plastic lock ring. The important thing is the bearings are the same through the 2006 range so no real performance difference. No longer true with 2007 Centaur which has cartridge bearings. Peter White of Peter White Cycles won't use the 2007 Centaur.

Orin.

shinomaster
09-15-2007, 12:02 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=31883&highlight=Centaur+hubs

oldmill
09-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks much for the replies and the link. Most helpful

sg8357
09-15-2007, 06:34 PM
The new DuraAce, Shimano has gone back to the Ti Freehub.
Lovely, quiet and better flange spacing than Campy.
I use XTR hubs on an otherwise Campy Centaur bike.

Scott G.

sjbraun
09-15-2007, 07:06 PM
So what cassette do you use?
I've ridden Campy 9 and 10 speed derailleurs and shift levers with Shimano 9-speed Ultegra cassettes with great success, not like I've won races success, but the shifting was fine success.

Are XTR hubs 9 or 10 speed, I guess you can tell its been a long time since I paid attention to the mountain bike world.

Steve-I admit, I'm a roadie
Tucson

saab2000
09-15-2007, 07:29 PM
How much do I lose in performance and ride quality by going with Centaur?

Only in the mind. In real life, on the road? Nothing. Honest.

Silver hubs can be had by Chris King or Dura-Ace or White Industries or a bunch of others.

Or you can get Neutrons (or Nucleon tubulars) and wonder why you ever wanted anything else.

Kevan
09-15-2007, 07:58 PM
should consider introducing the Record Classic.

jerk
09-15-2007, 08:07 PM
should consider introducing the Record Classic.

why should a company that prides itself on development of equipment for racing introduce some gawdy looking inferior garbage just to satisfy a bunch of wool wearing sycophants with little to any sense of style, balance or mechanical function?

campagnolo would like to think it's market demands function, durability and performance. retro is the new gay bar imho bro cheers.

times have changed. so have bike parts. if you liked the old stuff better; by all means buy it, use it and enjoy it....but don't ask a company that could give two shi'ites about any market outside of modern racing bicycle equipment to produce "silver" parts because it matches the technomic stem and zero-offset post on your bike with a head tube longer than its top tube.

the fact is campy never wanted the radonneur market; never got it and the french stuff was always way better anyway. the italians were always on the forefront of race bike design and to these devices they deserve to be left.

all this being said, if someone would resurrect maxi-car and huret i'll find you the capital.

jerk

Kevan
09-15-2007, 08:29 PM
but heck...there still seem to be a lot of folk out there hankering aluminium. Wouldn't be the first time a company rolled back the calendar and brought back some nostalgia. 'Sides they could charge a bundle making it purdy.

DarrenCT
09-15-2007, 08:45 PM
very funny, but in a lot of ways, sorta true.

at least campy offers silver and black brakes.

:beer:

why should a company that prides itself on development of equipment for racing introduce some gawdy looking inferior garbage just to satisfy a bunch of wool wearing sycophants with little to any sense of style, balance or mechanical function?

campagnolo would like to think it's market demands function, durability and performance. retro is the new gay bar imho bro cheers.

times have changed. so have bike parts. if you liked the old stuff better; by all means buy it, use it and enjoy it....but don't ask a company that could give two shi'ites about any market outside of modern racing bicycle equipment to produce "silver" parts because it matches the technomic stem and zero-offset post on your bike with a head tube longer than its top tube.

the fact is campy never wanted the radonneur market; never got it and the french stuff was always way better anyway. the italians were always on the forefront of race bike design and to these devices they deserve to be left.

all this being said, if someone would resurrect maxi-car and huret i'll find you the capital.

jerk

oldmill
09-15-2007, 09:08 PM
F old stuff. I just want silver. Preferably new. Black is the gay bar, and not even the new one anymore (not that there's anything wroing with that!).

e-RICHIE
09-15-2007, 09:18 PM
...but don't ask a company that could give two shi'ites about any market outside of modern racing bicycle equipment to produce "silver" parts because it matches the technomic stem and zero-offset post on your bike with a head tube longer than its top tube.

this resonates atmo.

3chordwonder
09-15-2007, 09:23 PM
And, I guess, that's why the Jerk is called the Jerk.

e-RICHIE
09-15-2007, 09:27 PM
And, I guess, that's why the Jerk is called the Jerk.
that's not his real name cuzza wife laura and dad george
want to keep his internet presence under wraps atmo.

sg8357
09-15-2007, 09:31 PM
So what cassette do you use?[snip]
Are XTR hubs 9 or 10 speed, I guess you can tell its been a long time since I paid attention to the mountain bike world.

Steve-I admit, I'm a roadie
Tucson

The XTR has ti freehub 9 or 10 speed, I use 9 speed Sram or Shimano cassettes with the Jtek shiftmate.

Scott G.

Orin
09-15-2007, 09:39 PM
but heck...there still seem to be a lot of folk out there hankering aluminium. Wouldn't be the first time a company rolled back the calendar and brought back some nostalgia. 'Sides they could charge a bundle making it purdy.

They charge a bundle already...

ergott
09-15-2007, 09:58 PM

jerk

Let's not kind ourselves here. This is more about money than anything else. That's what businesses do.

They are one step away from dropping hubs all together. They would rather have you buy a whole set of wheels from them and who can blame them? They make a dump load more money on the set of wheels than a pair of hubs. They did a redesign because now they cost less to produce.

Now there is really only one hubs for three groups. They don't have to even pretend they are different anymore with titanium pawls, grease ports, and different materials for the bearing adjustment ring. One hub fits all. Fewer skewers, pawls and other small parts.

Elefantino
09-15-2007, 11:41 PM

jerk
Good thing I wasn't drinking a soda when I read this or I'd have shot fizzies out my nostrils.