PDA

View Full Version : Art Supply Question. Any Easel Knowing people in the House?

samtaylor1
09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
My wife loves to paint and her easel sucks. She complains about it, and I want her to have a good one. The easel would stay in the house, though it would be nice if she could move it without calling me to do it.

Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts. Would like to spend no more then 350

Thanks

Fixed
09-14-2007, 07:33 PM
http://www.****blick.com/categories/easels/
bro my wife an art prof. this where i shop
cheers :beer:

ti_boi
09-14-2007, 07:51 PM
I teach Art too...and bought an awesome one over the summer....It is still in the box.....I haven't used it (been very busy with music and an illustration project)....would make you a very good deal on this -- (message me)

It is a monterey multi-angle studio easel....I'm an eBay powerseller and have also done a couple of sales to other forumites, so I am legit...paypal only.

Just today I found out I have to recone a vintage JBL speaker, so this would cover it....your cost....$199 + shipping....

09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
For an overall selection, www.easelsource.com has a range that covers most stuff from several makers.

However, www.xylemdesign.com makes most of the easels found in retailers in the US. They make a lot more than you usually can see in stores, so check their website for alternatives.

For your price limit you can get quite a bit. You didn't say what kind of painting -- different easels work best for different media, plus for some media you want different configurations or even materials. There are also some really nice custom easel builders; the only problem is that most of their products are big studio easels that are quite massive and heavy so they don't meet your mobility request.

There are also those who don't necessarily want a classic easel and like to work on a more customizable surface. This is especially the case for those who like to work on very large (or very small) canvases or on unorthodox media. I had one for work on repatinating bronze panels that was a big piece of butcherblock with regularly spaced holes that took bench dogs from a woodworking supply store.

ti_boi
09-14-2007, 08:20 PM
One issue is ceiling clearance...btw....these extend UP and if you have low ceilings you could have an issue. FYI.

samtaylor1
09-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks a lot. Would you guys go with a nice metal one or a nice would one.

Thanks

ti_boi
09-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks a lot. Would you guys go with a nice metal one or a nice would one.

Thanks

A nice would one for sure. :rolleyes:

09-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Majority of artists like the lack of vibration and the tradition of a woulden easel. Aluminum or steel easels tend to be restricted to travel or portable easels. However, there are a few very nice and extremely strong ones in extruded aluminum that are worth looking at; however, they will be a bit over your desired price point.