PDA

View Full Version : safety of steerer tube extenders

d_douglas
09-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Further to my agonizing plea in the classifieds for a new cross fork or a high rise stem, I wonder if anyone has tried those goofy steerer tube extenders that you clamp on to the steerer tube then clamp the stem on after that. This would be a simple solution, but I am wondering if these are safe and stiff.

I use 46cm bars, so there is plenty of leverage, BUT I do not race nor am I hard on my gear. That said, this will be my commuter/foul weather bike that will get lots of use this winter. The stem I have on there now feels OK, but I think I want it higher for commuting and back preservation...

Your thoughts?? I know they are goofy, but if it will work, that is all that matters. I assume that I would simply stack spacers on the top of the stem for any of the unused extension??

Tobias
09-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I assume you are talking about a steel steerer, right?

If you "really" don't care about appearance, I'd get one of those inexpensive 40 or 45 degree entry-level stems or whatever you need before I'd go the adaptor route.

d_douglas
09-14-2007, 03:16 PM
in terms of the adaptor itself - are these things trustworthy? I am aware of the weight penalty, aesthetics, etc., I just want to know if anyone out there has used these.

Shop mechanics??

72gmc
09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Hopefully this is within bounds: as of last night, a certain auction site was listing many items for sale by ticycles here in seattle--among them two lugged steel forks with cantilever and rack braze-ons made in their shop. I've seen these forks in person, they're nice, the auction items are a good price, and one of the sale forks has a pretty long steerer. Might be worth checking out if you're skittish about an extender.

d_douglas
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Assuming that you were referring to the 'evil e', I cannot find any auctions for such touring cyclocross forks. Do you happen to have the link?

Thanks for the suggestion!

72gmc
09-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Here you go. (http://stores.ebay.com/TiCycles) Look down the first screen a bit, right above the gynormous Davidson mountain bike frame.

RPS
09-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I've only used the quill adaptor, but don't see any reason why the threadless shouldn't work OK if manufactured properly. I say that only because the bending moment and torque at the clamping area (stem to steerer) will be essentially the same as if you use a high-rise stem.

However, if looks is not an issue, a high-rise stem should be incrementally safer because there would only be one connection versus two. But a chain is only as strong as....... you get the picture.

A replacement fork may be stronger, I don't know. Notice on the two on E-Bay that the steerers are a little shorter than some normal new uncut steerers. If you ride a big bike (which I assume based on your bar size) I'd double check that to make sure it will give you enough rise.

Good luck.

P.S. -- I think Ritchey now makes a 30 degree stem but only in short lengths.

serpico7
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I've used one of these with a carbon steerer. I didn't feel particularly safe with it, but I'm sure I would have felt safer with a metal steerer. It will likely creak a little bit, which is somewhat unnerving.

I'm guessing you're considering it because even the high rise stems don't get the bars up high enough - that was my problem.

If you use it, be aware that you will likely need to use a longer stem than you've been using - the stem raiser will bring the bars higher and closer, so with a short stem, you might feel scrunched up.

39cross
09-14-2007, 06:08 PM
DD, good thing you're in Helvetia...don't let "the Jerk" see it once you get it installed!

d_douglas
09-15-2007, 01:47 AM
but the Jerk doesn't have my back issues! I am actually getting used to the stem that is on there, though I think the riser stem approach would make me happier.

RPS - engineer? architect? Your mention of the bending moment tipped me off.. Yes - I think that I would never be comfortable with these things - even though they'd hold, I would always think that it would come loose, bend, twist.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep riding my original stem and see what comes up later...

Darren

RPS
09-15-2007, 09:08 AM
RPS - engineer? architect? Your mention of the bending moment tipped me off.. Yes - I think that I would never be comfortable with these things - even though they'd hold, I would always think that it would come loose, bend, twist.Yes Darren, an engineer. I personally wouldn't worry too much about using a quality adaptor, but would go with the stem anyway.

When I bought my Cannondale tandem (slightly used) the shop had cut the steerer very short, so when I converted it to road/hybrid use I ended up having to install a high-rise stem. And yes it looks dorky as hell but it works fine and I've gotten used to it; although the 40 degrees or so places the bars a little higher than I’d prefer. For a tandem it’s OK but when I replace it I’ll look at new stems in the 20 to 30 degree range.

At the time all the high-rise stems I could find were for MTB bars so they had 25.4 clamps. Luckily I found road bars to match, but I doubt that would be the case now. As far as I know Ritchey and Profile now make some road stems in multiple angles that should work to give you a little extra lift without looking to geeky. The Ritchey I think is available in short lengths only but comes with clamp for oversize bars.

d_douglas
09-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I forgot to mention that I am using one inch forks on my Ritchey, so the Ticycles ones won't cut it. Yes - maybe a geeky highrisse stem is just what I need...

DD

RPS
09-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Darren, below are a couple of pictures of how mine looks. Unfortunately, the shop cut the steerer with absolutely no extra length, so I can’t even adjust my high-rise stem at all (not directly anyway). The plus side for me was that their screw-up made the bike sell for 50% off, so my wife and I got an inexpensive chance to try tandeming.

We mostly ride our Co-Motion unless we go on a road trip, so I haven’t been motivated to upgrade the bars and stem. Hopefully it will look better when I do.

mike p
09-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Looks like a 71 stang?

Mike

RPS
09-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Looks like a 71 stang?

Mike73

d_douglas
09-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah - I just need to find the right stem now... Someone cough up an old 120mm Salsa!!

Darren

PS cool car.