PDA

View Full Version : Seat post/ clamp and ticking sound???

terrytnt
09-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I know these things are insidious... that is, sounds coming from our bikes that we exert much time trying to diagnose, but I think I've got it narrowed to the seat post area.

I'm 165, ride an Ottrott ST with a Record seat post and clamp. Situation: when I applied torque during cadence, I hear a slight tick sound that's just annoying. If I even my cadence, let up on the torque, or travel higher speeds (22-25) on flat terrain, no sounds.

I've torqued the post-clamp and even exceeded the max, even tried lubing the seat post to no avail. Then I thought should I lube the clamp which attaches to the TI seat tube wondering if there is flex during stress that resonates through the seat post???

Anyone every had such a symptom?

R2D2
09-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Bottom Bracket?

Fixed
09-14-2007, 07:35 AM
22-25) on flat terrain, no sounds.

Then I thought should I lube the clamp which attaches to the TI seat tube wondering if there is flex during stress that resonates through the seat post???

Anyone every had such a symptom?
imho yes
cheers
then check cleats b.b. and stem

terrytnt
09-14-2007, 07:40 AM
What might cause this sound in the bottom bracket? I have a 2006 record BB with approx. 7K. Is it just a matter of tightening or more?

Fixed
09-14-2007, 07:42 AM
bro bearings but i never had such a fine b.b.
cheers

sspielman
09-14-2007, 07:44 AM
A couple of things to consider:
* You can't grease a carbon seatpost...there is a special compound to use for this...to eliminate this as a source of the the noise, you may want to use an aluminum post-well greased to see if the noise goes...
*after that, it is time to hit everything...bottom bracket, front derailleur mounting....
* does this frame have a replaceable rear derailleur mount?...I found that to be the source on my Orbea....I removed it and lubed the interface and re-tightened....
* modern synthetic greases stink as assembly compounds. Get some anti-seize compound and save the grease for bearings

sspielman
09-14-2007, 07:48 AM
What might cause this sound in the bottom bracket? I have a 2006 record BB with approx. 7K. Is it just a matter of tightening or more?
Yeah..it could be the BB...(as I said above) take the BB apart and clean everything.Everywhere that metal touches metal in the assemby, apply a coating of anti-seize compound....including the trhreads. Re-assemble to spec. torque.
I experienced a ticking with an ISIS BB and this procedure cured the problem (after 3 tries with teflon tape and grease).
You can't do without anti-seize on a modern bike with all of the different materials...

R2D2
09-14-2007, 07:53 AM

I've got a Record BB and lately I can make it tick when I pull up on each crank.
If I'm smooth no noise.
I pulled and inspected,re-greased some areas, re-torqued.
For now (15 miles) it has gone away.
If it comes back time for a Phill Wood.

Too Tall
09-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Sell it :rolleyes: I've had lousy luck quickly finding offending sounds from various bikes. You'll just need to be methodical and keep at it. Don't overtighten anything, check the usual suspects...than sell it ;) You'll find it. Honestly, the last time this happened I was THAT close to buying a 55 gallon drum of oil and dipping the entire bike!!!!

terrytnt
09-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Great guys... from the sound of your responses it's likely the BB. At first I thought it was the FD and then replaced to a braze-on clamp so I could tighten more effectively (current clamp with the reg FD was bottoming out)... but the sound came back. Think I'm going to tackle the BB and see what happens. Since I don't do these more extensive mechanics, I'll use my LBS.

By the way, for next season I seriously considering upgrading to the Campy UT crank. I'm curious, would such an upgrade eliminate this type of annoying problem?

thanks guys...

swoop
09-14-2007, 08:51 AM
just for giggles tighten your front skewer and check the chainring bolts.

Too Tall
09-14-2007, 08:54 AM
just for giggles tighten your front skewer and check the chainring bolts.
That is EXACTLY what cured my mystery click...friggin rats a fratsin goll durn...

TimB
09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
i had a similar tick with a different post - and solved it (for now, anyway) by greasing the bolts of the clamp holding the saddle to the post and then tightening again.

It's early on Friday, so I can't tell from your description if you've tried this or not, my apologies if you have.

don'TreadOnMe
09-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Put some tape on the current seatpost prior to removing it, so you know exactly the insertion point. Then put a different saddle/seatpost on the bike, and see if the clicking is still there.
If that's not it, you're likely going to have to change and/or grease 1 thing at a time (move to front/rear skewers, then chainring bolts, then bb, etc...) in order to find the culprit.
Pain in the bu++, I know.
That noise will bother you though, and you know it.
Besides, you've likely ridden a lot this season, and it's not a bad idea to put some care and maintenance back into that fine ride.

The Colnago/WR Compositi post on my C5oh is annoying as heck.
Specifically the head on it. Daggone 28.0 diameter...but that's another thread.
(help!)

93LegendTG
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I had the same type of tick from the seatpost area earlier in the season during seated climbing. The problem was solved when I greased the seatpost clamp bolt. Be sure to get grease under the head of the bolt.

terrytnt
09-14-2007, 09:21 AM
All great ideas everyone... I'll tackle one after another.

Again, hats off to THE MOST USEFULL BIKE INFORMATION SOURCE (this forum) I'VE EVER DISCOVERED... and truly great and caring people!!!

Random
09-14-2007, 09:48 AM
On my Legend, I experienced an annoying ticking out of the saddle for the better part of a year. Took apart everything, more than once, and greased it. Then I spotted a post on this forum that mentioned that the front der. bracket was notorious for ticking, because of the seat tube's "conical" shape. The post suggested filing a bit from the bracket. First I greased it to see if it made a difference. No tick. Then I filed a bit to remove the portion of the bracket that showed wear. Not much filing. Greased the whole assembly and viola, no more ticks. At least not that one anymore. Still need to grease the seat post and clamp every few months to keep down the noise.

regularguy412
09-14-2007, 10:03 AM
A couple of things to consider:
* You can't grease a carbon seatpost...there is a special compound to use for this...to eliminate this as a source of the the noise, you may want to use an aluminum post-well greased to see if the noise goes...
*after that, it is time to hit everything...bottom bracket, front derailleur mounting....
* does this frame have a replaceable rear derailleur mount?...I found that to be the source on my Orbea....I removed it and lubed the interface and re-tightened....
* modern synthetic greases stink as assembly compounds. Get some anti-seize compound and save the grease for bearings

+1 on the Anti-Seize.

I used it almost exclusively during the rebuild of my re-furbed CSI. It's cheap and works wonders on everything from cables, to pivots, to any threaded item.

Mike in AR

SoCalSteve
09-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Wait! Stop everything! Dont go to your LBS yet...

Try this:

Put a little lube on the ST rear end pivot points (where the chainstays meet the seat stays) at the bushings.

You can thank me later.

Steve

DarrenCT
09-14-2007, 01:48 PM
FYI,

I had a similar ticking noise on my Parlee and I tried a bunch of things and it ended up being the Dura-Ace PEDAL!

I got new pedals and the noise was gone.