PDA

View Full Version : 8 speed chain on 10 speed compact crank?

jasflyfisher
09-13-2007, 08:18 PM
File under it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I've built up a CrossCheck with some old 8 speed 105 parts and it has been making me happy. The bike is intended to be a go anywhere, knockaround, grocery getter, and (eventually) befendered base mile rig. Thinking a compact crankset would hopefully put gearing closer to where I wanted it for the previously mentioned purposes, I picked up an FSA compact crankset for 9/10 speed drive trains.

However, when doing the [not] very scientific hold it up next to the current drivetrain critique (both 8- and 10-speed Shimano drivetrains with appropriate cranksets) it seemed that the spacing differences between 8- and 10-speed drivetrains are actually pretty significant.

Before I pull the current cransket and have the BB tapped and faced, has anyone tried an 8 speed chain with 10 speed rings or cassettes and been happy with the results?

Any obsevations or input greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
John

Kevan
09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
but I don't think so. On my D2R2 build I went with a 9spd chain used on a 8 spd cassette and 9/10 stronglight compact crank and it works fine. Basically the the 8/9/10 distinction is directed at the cassette not the crank, if I'm right.

I did initially use an 8 spd chain but the shifting wasn't as sharp as going to the 9 spd. Go figure..

pale scotsman
09-13-2007, 09:18 PM
I ran an 8 speed campy chain, derailleur setup with 10 speed cranks no problem. Can't remember the chain width difference for sure, but twas so miniscule, .2mm?, it didn't make a difference. I'd think the FSA cranks would work fine, though I'd throw in a campy front derailleur for kicks with the Shimano... :)

beungood
09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
How about 8spd cassette and 10 spd Campy chain and triple crank (Chorus)?

Kevan
09-14-2007, 02:47 PM
How about 8spd cassette and 10 spd Campy chain and triple crank (Chorus)?

you're trying to make a Dagwood samwich. Don't forget the pickels and olives too.

beungood
09-14-2007, 03:25 PM
lol! ok you got me chuckling uncontrollably now.. :p