PDA

View Full Version : Best seatpost.

abqhudson
09-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I found the best seatpost so far for me. After several including about three different Ti posts including Campy, about three different carbon posts including Campy, and several alloy, I finally found one that just feels like a nicer ride - Specialized Carbon Pave, I really don't know whether the Zertz has anything to do with it, but, the post rides nicer for me. I was pleasantly surprised. YMMV.

Jim

Pete Serotta
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
A seat post that does not break is the best post...and there are many out there. The PAVE is nice looking, as are NITTO, and I really liked the old SEROTTA Ti, Moots has a pretty slick one as does BOLD.
:D

vaxn8r
09-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I like this one also.

Michael Maddox
09-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Sorry, but Thomson makes the most solid, unbreakable seatpost available, bar none.

Nitto is nice, too, though.

pale scotsman
09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Ah, the honeymoon. They do work well but watch the bottom portion in the frame. Mine ended up swelling so much that I had to cut it down and sand it to get it back in the frame.

musgravecycles
09-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Sorry, but Thomson makes the most solid, unbreakable seatpost available, bar none.

Almost true... You're more likely to break a bolt on a Thomson than on a NJ-SP72...

It's really too bad Thomson can't make a decent setback post w/o that gawdawful bend in the middle...

DarrenCT
09-13-2007, 10:25 PM
i agree. i hate that damn bend!

Almost true... You're more likely to break a bolt on a Thomson than on a NJ-SP72...

It's really too bad Thomson can't make a decent setback post w/o that gawdawful bend in the middle...

BoulderGeek
09-13-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a zero setback Thomson Elite on both my road bikes. Love them.

But, I have heard someone say here that the machining of those ridges might contribute to failure. Any other corroborating evidence?

With the setup I use, I don't think I could ever utilize a setback post. I am always moving the seat forward or the bars back, it seems.

DarrenCT
09-13-2007, 10:31 PM
my current favs

1. campy record/chorus

2. dura-ace/ultegra

3. ec90

Jeff N.
09-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Mavic 330. As someone once said, ownership of a Mavic 330 seatpost brings with it the understanding that you are a patron of the arts in fine workmanship and design. Tough to find these days though. Jeff N.

DarrenCT
09-13-2007, 10:38 PM
cool deal. i like that Mavic 330 seatpost

not avail on ebay tho....

72gmc
09-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I just switched from an aluminum Centaur post to a Salsa post. Big step down in looks, big step up in function. Oh well. At least the rest of my bike is pretty.

Climb01742
09-14-2007, 04:15 AM
has anyone seen/tried the new ritchey single-bolt post?

soulspinner
09-14-2007, 05:16 AM

But, I have heard someone say here that the machining of those ridges might contribute to failure. Any other corroborating evidence?

With the setup I use, I don't think I could ever utilize a setback post. I am always moving the seat forward or the bars back, it seems.

Ive had em on my bikes for a trillion miles. Bolts seizing due to my failure to keep grease on them is all that ever happened. Considering the testing Thomson does and the lack of failures Ive heard of on road bikes, I think this is as safe a post as you can get. I have heard of these posts failing with off road riding, but these are the same guys that break every component.

sspielman
09-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Selcof...Selcof...Selcof.
www.selcof.com

93legendti
09-14-2007, 06:55 AM

Yes:
EVERYTHING can be broken. That said I've never broken a Dura-Ace/XTR post. I raced a MTB with the same XTR post for many years and I still have it.......scratched and nasty at this point but solid. I've never had trouble with Ritchey posts either.

I have removed many a broken Thomson post over the years. The lathe turned surface seems to act like a dotted line.

Seat posts, stems, handlebars and forks. Not great places to take risks yo atmo beeatch imo word Elvis yo.

Dave

mcteague
09-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by David Kirk
EVERYTHING can be broken. That said I've never broken a Dura-Ace/XTR post. I raced a MTB with the same XTR post for many years and I still have it.......scratched and nasty at this point but solid. I've never had trouble with Ritchey posts either.

I have removed many a broken Thomson post over the years. The lathe turned surface seems to act like a dotted line.

Seat posts, stems, handlebars and forks. Not great places to take risks yo atmo beeatch imo word Elvis yo.

Dave

My Dura-Ace post started moving side to side at the clamp/post junction. Checking http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/controls/seatposts/shimano/PRD_28058_2510crx.aspx
shows this to be a VERY common problem. Pity, it is such a nice looking part.

Tim McTeague

davids
09-14-2007, 01:45 PM
We just did this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32544) discussion.

It's time for the best stem thread, atmo.