PDA

View Full Version : Legend Ti rider looking for new bike

SC Will
07-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi folks - I have a '98 Legend Ti. Bought it just before I got married. I like the ride pretty well but I have been thinking about trying something else.

I think that the Legend Ti may be a little overbuilt for me - I am 6'1", 150 lbs, and not a sprinter ... more of a endurance climber. Anyway the bike doesn't seem to have the spring to it that a steel frame might have - probably because it is too stiff for me to generate the spring.

Anyway - any thoughts on a new bicycle? I was thinking of a Pegoretti Marcelo. For those of you who can compare between the two bikes - how does the stiffness and the feel compare? What other options are there in steel or Ti that may be less stiff than the Legend?

I am proportioned such that I am not sure that I am going to see a huge benefit from custom geometry and in the ideal world I would have the new bicycle for a bike weekend in the middle of September.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Will

bcm119
07-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Did you have your Legend custom built for you? Being so light for your height, I would think custom would be the way to go. Alot of frames your size may be too stiff for your weight. I'm 6' 157 lbs, sometimes down to under 155, and in my experience most stock bikes my size are over-built for me. The advantage of custom is the ability to match body weight to frame stiffness, independent of size.

Another suggestion would be to switch out wheels and/or tires for a more comfortable ride.

Smiley
07-08-2004, 06:24 PM
If your frame was built as a 57 cm and up , it did have OS tubes and maybe should have been built with the standard tubes. Serotta did not ask these questions back then , you had to volunteer them , not like today and with the dawning of the internet and information overload . You may benefit from a similar Legend built for your weight OR better yet buy a C-III and never look back. If its spring you want , then its spring you'll get. Just don't OS the tubeset , trust the captain on this one .

Marron
07-08-2004, 06:34 PM
I am close to your size, 6'2"/157, and have an assortment of steel and Ti bikes. I just picked up a Gunnar Roadie on e-bay as a new commuter and have been very impressed with the ride. In a 60 it is well matched to my size and to be honest is probably the nicest riding bike I currently own. As a Serotta owner I suspect you're unlikely to be engaged by the idea of an off-brand Waterford, but I would highly recommend the 853 tubeset for someone of our length and girth ; ).

Jeff N.
07-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Check out Seven Cycles Axiom Steel. Or Ti, for that matter. JN

TimD
07-08-2004, 07:39 PM
I have both. My bikes have the same saddles, posts, bars, wheels, and tires. They have different forks. I wiill try to respond with a summary of impressions later tonight or tomorrow as I'm a bit busy right now.

TimD

Jeff N.
07-08-2004, 07:42 PM
I have both. My bikes have the same saddles, posts, bars, wheels, and tires. They have different forks. I wiill try to respond with a summary of impressions later tonight or tomorrow as I'm a bit busy right now.

TimDBoth WHAT? Jeff N.

dbrk
07-08-2004, 08:27 PM
I think the Marcelo would be a fine choice. Dario has a gift for building beautiful riding frames. I would also talk to Hampsten because they are in the midst of a steel revolution and will soon have a bike much like the Marcelo, if what you seek is a contemporary classic with the updates in looks and bits that fit the bill. A CIII is much the same, the best deal on the Serotta block, imo. If you think about lugged steel, your choices are myriad and the results are timeless.

But you asked about the Marcelo. I deem you the perfect size for one of these babies...They tend to flex a bit under heavier riders, not in a bad way but enough to feel teh front der under big stress. I am not as tall as you but the same weight and I think this is one of the finest bikes I've ever ridden. I'd venture a CIII or IF Crown Jewel along with that Hampsten would nicely round out choices of the same ilk.

dbrk

TimD
07-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Both WHAT? Jeff N.

A Marcelo and a Legend Ti, of course :)

TimD

SC Will
07-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all of the input. Smiley is right - the frame is a 58 cm and was not custom built for me - it has oversize tubes, particularly at the BB.

I guess that I was initially thinking of something other than Serotta as it is always nice to try something new. However, I just checked out the CIII and it looks pretty nice - especially as Serotta now makes custom sizing/tube selection standard.

In terms of wheels I am currently riding Speeddream wheels.

One question is how much comfort will I sacrifice going to steel? Even though the Legend Ti is overbuilt for me, I think that it does do a great job of absorbing the road buzz - esspecially with a Serotta titanium stem.

Thanks again

Will

Dekonick
07-08-2004, 09:31 PM
you gain comfort going to steel.

botswana
07-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Dear Will,
Did you say that you are 6' 1" with a 58 cm frame? Sounds like your bike may be a bit on the large size for you.
With your weight, the Legend Ti is also probably way overbuilt. It was known to ride stiff for a Ti bike when it first came out--almost steel-like. Would have opted for the non OS tubing, but oh well, what's done is done.
Think that you may benefit greatly from a custom ride like the Seven Axiom or even the Parlee--tailor where you want stiffness, add strength where you need it and only where you need it--both incredible beautiful rides!

botswana

Too Tall
07-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Will. two thoughts. First, consider a set of very nice light wheels perhaps Nimble Tubular Fly's and a set of fine tyres to go with. It will change the feel of you bike considerably. Second, why wouldn't you call Kelly at Serotta and talk direct to the man who designed your bike and tell him what you want than listen.

Dr. Doofus
07-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Dr. Robert's Reactionary Rx:

Steel frame (Kirk, Peg, CIII, heck Moser USA still has some nice steel frames on clearance for *cheap*)

Mavic Open Pro 32H

TimD
07-09-2004, 07:28 AM
The 61cm Pegoretti is really stiff, especially at the back, and has a 'springy' feel. After a week's riding on the Legend I get on it and think "hmm, this bike is harsh" but that passes quickly. It handles extremely well. This bike feels fast, but in practice I don't think it is any faster than is the Legend. In a training sprint the front end will flex a bit, but I don't know whether this is due to the bars (Deda 215) or the stem (120mm Cinelli Solido). There have been suggestions that I should substitute 32-holers for the Ksyriums to improve the ride and I may do that later this year.

The Legend is a 63cm and uses OS tubing. It was built 'stiff' for a rider who was 250 lbs at the time, whereas I'm a paltry 195. Fork is a straight-blade Alpha Q, again with a carbon steerer. The frame has a 1.5cm HT extension. This bike feels more relaxed than the Marcelo and has a more 'damped' ride, but handles equally well (maybe a tad less quickly) and is overall a slightly more comfortable ride. In terms of stiffness the front and the back are pretty balanced, in the sense that I don't think one end flexes while the other does not. Purely by circumstance I haven't tried spriint exercises on this bike, but I have speculated that it would feel stiffer in the front than does the Marcelo.

All that unscientific blather blathered, I'm very lucky to have one of each and cannot really see selling either, except maybe to tweak the fit a bit (neither is custom for me). I would recommend the Marcelo in a second for someone looking for a high-performance, modern, TIG-welded steel bike.

I spent a few minutes on a C III recently at an LBS and even though it wasn't set up for me it rode really, really well. I didn't really feel like sleeping outside with it though, so I didn't bring it home :)

In these spaces I've heard good things about Waterford, Davidson, Kirk, Landshark, Seven, and a certain Carrera (Volans? Sheild) of which I think dbrk has an example...so there seem to be many good choices out there.

Good luck and please post a pic of what you choose -
TimD

bostondrunk
07-09-2004, 07:32 AM
You didn 't really state what kind of riding you do (unless I missed it). Easy pedaling through the country side, road racing, crits???
Before you invest in another alloy bike, at least test ride a Parlee, Calfee or Trek for comparison. And put some tubies on that puppy!

Climb01742
07-09-2004, 07:48 AM
my two cents is...call kelly. it sounds like your biggest concern is how the frame rides, your desire for a bit more flex. getting the right fit is possible with many bikes, including many stock frames. but to dial in precisely the "feel" you want in the frame, custom is a better choice i think. i'm lucky enough to own a CIII, a custom marcelo and a CSi. and did own an hors (a legend with a DKS.) so i've planted my butt on many of the bikes you're thinking about. totally agree with tim about marcelo...for the first few miles, its stiffness does come across as a bit harsh (compared to other steels) but then the sensation passes. the marcelo is very efficient, your power gets translated well to forward motion. the hors i had no ZERO oversized tubing, and as a result, rode much better (for me at 5'11", 155) than OS legends i'd test ridden. so, a legend built for you, with smaller diameter tubes would feel a lot springier. the CIII is a swell, swell frame. a true performance/value champ. but here's why i'd call kelly. the CSi is my most recent serotta, and i've now put a good number of miles on it. how sweet it is. like butter. it is everything steel is. and the true beauty of it for me is...it is the third serotta kelly has built for me and he has PERFECTLY dialed in the flex, spring, liveliness, whatever you want to call it, for me. my acid test is out of the saddle riding, on both flats and climbing. this CSi has the ideal feel for me out of the saddle. talk to kelly. i believe he can dial in the exact kind of road feel you want. together, you can figure out whether steel or ti is best suited. good luck.

dirtdigger88
07-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Dear Will,
Did you say that you are 6' 1" with a 58 cm frame? Sounds like your bike may be a bit on the large size for you.
With your weight, the Legend Ti is also probably way overbuilt. It was known to ride stiff for a Ti bike when it first came out--almost steel-like. Would have opted for the non OS tubing, but oh well, what's done is done.
Think that you may benefit greatly from a custom ride like the Seven Axiom or even the Parlee--tailor where you want stiffness, add strength where you need it and only where you need it--both incredible beautiful rides!

botswana

I disagree that a 58 is too large for someone 6'1". I am the same height and ride a 60cm. Hell ask dbrk what size he would ride if he was 6'1"

Jason

bostondrunk
07-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, again, it depends on what kind of riding you do, and whether or not you want the french fit.

dirtdigger88
07-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Bd,

I know I was over simplifying the whole process, I was just trying to point out what you just said, you can't generalize what size someone should ride. I would not really call what I have a french fit either, I have about a 7.5 cm drop from saddle to bars and I easily have 4 -5 cm clearance between the TT and my croch. My pix in the image gallery don't really represent how my bike is set up now after I had my steer tube cut. I have very long legs for someone who is only 6' 1".

Jason

SC Will
07-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Again - thanks for all the input.

In terms of the type of riding that I do, it is mostly spirited group rides and centuries. One of the rides that I enjoy is the Assault on Mt Mitchell, as well as other climbing-oriented organized group rides.

I guess that I will at least give Kelly a call and see what he has to say, and I will be sure to keep folks up to date as things progress.

One thing that I don't really have a sense for is the differences in ride between a lugged vs TIG welded steel frame.

Thanks

Will

Climb01742
07-09-2004, 09:37 AM
countless folks have said, including a few frame builders, that how a steel frame is joined makes no discernable difference in how the frame rides. lugs, no lugs--whatever floats your boat.

Dekonick
07-09-2004, 10:16 AM
A lugged Serotta just looks better! - Just my opinion but that is what sets the beautiful bikes apart from the rest. I have to admit that the welds on my Hors Categorie are GEORGEOUS.

Good luck!

Ozz
07-09-2004, 10:45 AM
One thing that I don't really have a sense for is the differences in ride between a lugged vs TIG welded steel frame.

Looks and price are the differences....no ride differences.

The CIII is probably the best bargain in the Serotta line-up (IMHO).

va rider
07-09-2004, 01:29 PM
I am 6' 165 lbs and just went from a 59 cm Merckx ti to a 57cm OS CIII. While waiting for the CIII, my lbs gave me a 56cm Csi to use.

Going from ti to steel was no problem. I think they both ride awesome! My ti frame had, as Climb describes it, a magic carpet feel to it. I love the CIII, the steel is very smooth and soaks up road buzz. The steel feels alittle stiffer than the Merckx ti, maybe a little quicker when you stomp on it. Can't go wrong with either.

As to the Tig welded vs. lugged steel. I really liked them both. I couldn't really tell a difference, but I only put about 300 miles on the Csi. Douglas, Smiley, Climb and many of the others have some great insight on this issue.

All great choices, good luck!