PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling in Bermuda

KeithS
09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
My wife has a seminar in Bermuda towards the end of October and I get to tag along and play while she works. I used to search out golf courses but now I have more sensible addictions. I have accepted the fact that the airline will charge a lot of money for me to haul my bike along, but I'm over that. The question that I pose to my far more worldly Forum bretheran is - anyone have experience riding in Bermuda? While my wife slaves away learning everything there is to learn about variable annuities I will be riding. We will be staying at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Delpo
09-12-2007, 06:04 PM
There is a very strong triathlon community in Bermuda. The crew is lead by Gordo Byrn and Graham Fowle. The riding is awesome and very hilly. I'll try to find the emails for you.

Delpo

rwsaunders
09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Remember to ride on the left. Beautiful island.

Onno
09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I was there for a week last January, and rented a very crappy bike, and still had lots of fun pedaling around the island. There are virtually no empty roads, and they are all narrow, but they are also hilly and very winding. The island speed limit is 35 mph, and though lots of people speed, they also seem pretty respectful of cyclists. Mostly cars wait for a safe place to pass you, which is about all you can hope for anywhere. One of the many cab drivers I talked to while there turned out to be a cyclist, and he suggested getting out really early in the morning, which is when, he said, the local riders get out. (I saw very few other riders in my rides.) If I'd brought along my bike, I would have done that. But who wants to ride with champs on a chump bike? It's a small island, though, and you will run out of new roads to explore pretty quickly.

Have fun.

KeithS
09-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I come from a long line of dairy farmers so early my preference. I learned growing up on the prairie that riding early is riding before the wind comes up. I figure that two days of riding is cheaper than two days of golf, and I tried that renting junk thing in Florida on vacation last winter, with the same disappointment you report.

e-RICHIE
09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
this is a scene from bermuda that appeared on the
cover of the new yorker. it's from my collection of
every issue ever published in which a bicycle appears
in the cover art in one way, shape, or form atmo.
there are near 110 since 1928...

http://www.frameforum.net/forum2/uploads/gallery/1105775616/gallery_3_17_404643.jpg

Avispa
09-12-2007, 11:03 PM
this is a scene from bermuda that appeared on the
cover of the new yorker. it's from my collection of
every issue ever published in which a bicycle appears
in the cover art in one way, shape, or form atmo.
there are near 110 since 1928...

Wow... how times have changed. Sort of.... Hey, care to post other images? I'd like to see a few other covers with bikes.

A!

Louis
09-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Wow... how times have changed. Sort of.... Hey, care to post other images? I'd like to see a few other covers with bikes.

A,

He has them posted across the hall at the Lunchtable.

Louis