PDA

View Full Version : UPS packing

Dan Le foot
09-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi Gang.
Have you had any experience with UPS packing your bike?
A while ago a forumite got his Ottrott trashed by UPS in shipping. Even though his bike was insured, UPS declined his claim because of improper (UPS said) packing. (Not sure how this one was resolved)

Shortly after we sold a Seven frame/ fork to a forumite. We were a bit spooked about potential shipping damage so we asked UPS what they thought. They said if they packed it and we insured it they would own the liability if anything happened.
So we got a proper box from the bike shop, wrapped the tubes with pipe foam and brought it down to the UPS store for packing. (Cost $15 for packing)
Seemed like a no risk, relatively low cost solution.

Has anybody done this with a complete bike?

There is a CDA on EBay right now that is fairly priced. But the seller will only accept local pickup. (He’s in Maryland and we are in San Diego). Apparently UPS trashed his last bike and had to give that buyer their money back. He doesn’t want to go through that again.

What do you think?
Dan

gt6267a
09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I take bikes to the LBS and have them package it. Then, I bring it to the UPS store with an open lid and have them do whatever they want. Usually they look it over for anything loose, slap a few bits of tape on this or that, and then drop an arse load of peanuts in the box.

This way the bike is packaged by people who know how to protect the bike … and then “certified” by a UPS employee. I have not had an insurance claim but expect to fair pretty well should that situation arise.

thwart
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
I've shipped a few bikes, and I like FedEx...

There are several places on the internet that go into the technique for packing a bike for shipment. Worth searching for. Personally, I like the bike to be completely immobile in the box, even when dropped (a bit, not 6 feet :D ).

OldDog
09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I ship UPS daily. I have seen drivers throw packages weighing considerbly more than a bike 6 feet or more into the back of the truck.

Give DHL/Danza a call. I recently shipped a tandem with them with good results.

barry1021
09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
are locally owned franchises, so the quality of work, including packing, varies greatly I have found. I have been quoted vastly different rates for the same shipment and same destination a month apart. Go figure.

b21

mschol17
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Dan,
I'm local to the seller, so if doesn't want to be responsible for the shipping process I can help you out by shipping it through a local LBS like College Park Bikes.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Dave B
09-12-2007, 01:34 PM
I have shipped loads of frames and full bikes. The best method I use is to find a Cannondale MTB box. These are shorter and wider then most. Therei are two cardboard pieces in there that you zip tie a frame to ( I usually use the pipe insulation anyway, just xtra) so the bike actuall never touches the sides of the box or the top and bottom. Both wheels come off and go on either side. This way the wheels protect the frame if it is miss handled A BIT. If they run over it then what can you do.

I have only had one problem from me shipping and that was a scam as I found out after word because the guy didn't like the bike and just wanted his money back.

DHL has ruined a bike for me and fed ex (where I live) has the DUMBEST drivers in the world. They are as delicate as a bull in a china shop.

Not to mention the directional sense of a loaf of bread.

Dan Le foot
09-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I take bikes to the LBS and have them package it. Then, I bring it to the UPS store with an open lid and have them do whatever they want. Usually they look it over for anything loose, slap a few bits of tape on this or that, and then drop an arse load of peanuts in the box.

This way the bike is packaged by people who know how to protect the bike … and then “certified” by a UPS employee. I have not had an insurance claim but expect to fair pretty well should that situation arise.

Sure sounds like the way to go, gt.
If they do the final packing and you insure it, no way they could deny the claim.
Thanks.
Dan

Dan Le foot
09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Dan,
I'm local to the seller, so if doesn't want to be responsible for the shipping process I can help you out by shipping it through a local LBS like College Park Bikes.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

That is really nice of you, mschol17. Way beyond nice.
I'll let you know.
Thanks.
Dan