PDA

View Full Version : Authentic "I'm gonna die" moment this morning...

Tom
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
There's one fun little s-curve on the ride I took this morning, you can hit it going 30+ with not much trouble and a quick sig and a zag is kind of nice. I'm riding a bike that likes that kind of thing so I have a nice head of steam going into it. I point my knee, lean it over, and realize that I'm arcing right into a whole bunch of acorns all over the road.

How I missed all of them I'll never know. It was too late for anything, even just straightening it out and heading for the ditch. I didn't have the adrenaline rush until I was out of the second turn.

Better than espresso.

Karin Kirk
09-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Did you have time to hear the squirrels in the trees, laughing hysterically?
:)

oracle
09-11-2007, 12:16 PM
i had the exact same experience last night, except that i hit a patch of mostly crushed acorns and did a power-slide for who knows how long. probable going close to fifty, and for the sake of honesty and full disclosure, it was getting dark (night creeps up on me now) and i was riding sans helm. whhhew....

glad you made it out of that turn..

momof4greatkids
09-11-2007, 12:29 PM
i had the exact same experience last night, except that i hit a patch of mostly crushed acorns and did a power-slide for who knows how long. probable going close to fifty, and for the sake of honesty and full disclosure, it was getting dark (night creeps up on me now) and i was riding sans helm. whhhew....

glad you made it out of that turn..

Mom says, "wear your helmet!!" :no: :no: :no:

:) <---just a gentle scolding, glad you both came out unscathed.

mschol17
09-11-2007, 12:33 PM
A couple weekends ago I was test-riding a Concours Ti, and unagressively coming around a corner I completely lost traction in both wheels, sliding sideways for a brief moment. I kept it upright, but it scared the crap out of me.

:bike:

chrisroph
09-11-2007, 12:33 PM
The ground always wins.

rwsaunders
09-11-2007, 12:47 PM
As William always points out, those squirrels are truly evildoers, using any trick possible to take out a cyclist. Where did it all begin?

Too Tall
09-11-2007, 12:49 PM
...or they could be outta work Ninja assasin squirrels big Willy ran out of town yo.

regularguy412
09-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Did you have time to hear the squirrels in the trees, laughing hysterically?
:)

I think there's a TV commercial in there, somewhere. :cool:

Mike in AR

slowgoing
09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm changing to lower spoke count wheels just to make sure there's enough room for their pretty little heads to fit between the sharpened, flat spokes.

Did I say that?

soulspinner
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Fall always catches me out once with leaf covered roads. :bike: Glad the rubber stayed DOWN...

Steelhead
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
A couple weekends ago I was test-riding a Concours Ti, and unagressively coming around a corner I completely lost traction in both wheels, sliding sideways for a brief moment. I kept it upright, but it scared the crap out of me.

So did you buy it? Sounds like it handles well for you..... :)

mschol17
09-11-2007, 01:13 PM
So did you buy it? Sounds like it handles well for you..... :)

I didn't, just test riding a ti bike to see what it was like... :)

I certainly liked the ride better than the Nove I rode (can I say that?).

chuckred
09-11-2007, 01:42 PM

How do you slide a bike when "unagressively" coming around a corner? Unless it was gravel, dirt, etc... then, you were riding fast enough for the conditions to slide... so wouldn't that be aggressive? Other wise, I'd stay the hell away from that bike, tires, or both!

mschol17
09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
How do you slide a bike when "unagressively" coming around a corner? Unless it was gravel, dirt, etc... then, you were riding fast enough for the conditions to slide... so wouldn't that be aggressive? Other wise, I'd stay the hell away from that bike, tires, or both!

I wondered the same thing, but I figured it was either the tires or something in the corner. I guess it could have been a weight distribution induced oversteer, but I was just happy not to crash a bike that wasn't mine.

Kevan
09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
f'r nothing, you know!

I've had near-similar sit-che-a-tions meself.

How's the grip on rotting and squarshed apples?

Mother!

rounder
09-11-2007, 04:03 PM
As William always points out, those squirrels are truly evildoers, using any trick possible to take out a cyclist. Where did it all begin?

I think it might have started around the same time they took Rocky and Bullwinkle off the air. Could just be a coincidence.

Erik.Lazdins
09-12-2007, 07:53 AM

1. That sounds like a desireable product feature!

2. If you can do this at will on a screaming fast descent in Italy you may be Paulo Savoldelli!

petitelilpettit
09-12-2007, 10:12 AM

At least you stayed upright. We had a customer who was buying an HSG iT and went out for a test ride when he came around the corner at our shop and wiped out pretty bad. Fortunately, he only had some road rash and some scraped elbows. Only cosmetic damage to the bike. Great thing he was buying it! :crap:

Pettit

William
09-12-2007, 10:52 AM

Rule #1: Know thy enemy.

http://www.anti-squirrel.com/worker-squirrel.html

Unfortunately my spy was discovered before he could complete his analysis on Squirrel Hierarchy. :crap:

William ;)

PS: Judgeing by the Acorn accruacy, you were the victim of a Sentry Squirrel. No doubt about it.

Erik.Lazdins
09-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Rule #1: Know thy enemy.

http://www.anti-squirrel.com/worker-squirrel.html

Unfortunately my spy was discovered before he could complete his analysis on Squirrel Hierarchy. :crap:

William ;)

PS: Judgeing by the Acorn accruacy, you were the victim of a Sentry Squirrel. No doubt about it.

William,
Be safe - the squirrels are on to you and most likely marking your movements as I type this!

davids
09-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Uh oh.

http://www.greysquirrel.net/pics/shim.gif

mjb266
09-12-2007, 04:23 PM
That chill is amazing isn't it. It's as if you just cheated death and you can feel him around you...I'll never forget the moments when I had that happen.