PDA

View Full Version : D.C./Md/Va area ride this weekend???

va rider
07-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Any Serottians interested in riding either in Maryland or Virginia this weekend? I have a free weekend with my family out of town, so I can finally get out there.

Poolesville would be great, but so would Marshall or Skyline drive. Saturday or Sunday morning is fine. If we ride in Virginia, we can ensemble at my house before or after the ride.

One caveat, this will be my first weekend of real riding since injuring my knee a month ago. So, I may not be able to keep up for a real long time.

Smiley
07-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Looks to me like we do the PPTC ride out of Poolesville at 9:30 AM , the twice across the river route . I'll let my clan know if the have not already logged on to the web. Rapid Tourist , Sandy , Spectrum Bob, Marv L , Fly man etc.

www.bikepptc.org for detail for newbies

va rider
07-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Sounds great. I will see you there on Saturday!

Sandy
07-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Be sure to bring your swim trunks. You take the ferry over from MD to VA, but on the way back, you must swim over. Smiley negleted to mention that.

Strong Swimmer Slow Spinner,

Salmon Sandy

Sandy
07-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Smiley,

I will be there.

Sardine Sandy

Dekonick
07-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Start time of 930? How far is it from Columbia, Maryland?

I work tomorrow and wont get off until 7AM at the earliest. I would like to join yall once... and if the reporting is correct, this looks like a casual ride - nothing too punishing.

:)

oldmill
07-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Got room fopr one more? Do we meet at your house Smiley?

Too Tall
07-09-2004, 05:58 AM
Y'all mind your manners at the Ferry. Ettiquette is to board last and depart last else the bilious inbreed curr who run the ferry will whine....can't have that ;)

Spectrum Bob
07-09-2004, 06:54 AM
There is a rumor going around that the Road Rocket might be showing up for the ride.
Have a great time you guys. I will be home with Leah.

pbbob
07-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Dek: exactly 1 hour from me in columbia. I am trying to get ready for a 24 so I will be going long tomorrow morning and won't make it. If you want to do something sun. or do the trail or hills of la cita ellicott or western how. co. sometime let me know!
bob

Smiley
07-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Hey All this is a PPTC ride as such its governed by the club rules and starts promptly out of Poolesville at 9:30 am with several ride distances and paces. Check out any details at www.bikepptc.org and feel free to contact e with any other questions. Spectrum Bob will road rocket be riding a Serotta Concours ( Doc' bike ).

Sandy
07-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Smiley,

Road Rocket will be riding a fast bike. For some reason, no matter what bike Road Rocket is riding, it is fast. I notice it especially when she and I are climbing a hill.

Snail Sandy

Dekonick
07-09-2004, 08:56 PM
I really doubt I can make a 9:30 start time (gotta go home and get clothes, etc... I have the bike and crummy shorts with me ... but for anything more than 25 miles I would be in agony - esp w/o butt buttr (what a name!)

And - HECK yes! Anytime anyone in the Ellicott City area wants to do climbs or ride columbia / west friendship holler my way... just be nice to me (remember...I ride for fun so I dont like to throw up more than once a ride! I also am a little slower than most of yall but group rides are great fun if you dont mind me wheel sucking and doing shorter pulls) :D

Smiley
07-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Bravo goes out to Marv L AGAIN , watch out Boca Boys the dude is training hard to take long pulls down in the Big Orange , word has it he's even getting new gearing just for your rides. Also posting is Oldmill , Va Rider , Sandy , Road Rocket ( woman is Fassst and intense , with new bike she kicks our butts all combined ) , Debbie , Captain and first mate on the Co-Mo tandem just to get the legs a bit loose . A good time was had by all and I must say Virginia is for tandems , what a collection of rolling roads :banana: :banana:

Sandy
07-10-2004, 05:54 PM
I KNOW that I beat by a different drummer when it comes to group riding, and I have had differences with people because of such in the past, and I DO understand that different folks have different agendas, each and every ride. There is no right or wrong, but I really didn't completely understand the ride today.

There was Mark, Sandy, Road Rocket, Va Rider, Smiley and the First Mate, and Marv meeting to go on a ride together, I thought. But when the ride begins, our little group was not a group at all, so what is the purpose of even meeting to go on a ride? There were different agendas, different speeds, almost no regrouping, different lengths,etc. So what was the purpose?

I had no cue sheet, and went to check on a lady who had fallen off her bike (to be sure that she was ok), so if I had not caught up to Marv, then I would have been riding alone, or with others that I know.

We could have simply gone on whatever rides we decided on, independent of one another, and if we met, before, after, or during the ride, I guess that would have sufficed.

Cyclists can certainly ride at different ability levels,and regroup,at least occasionaly, and still get a great workout. Perhaps I do not belong in a group doing a group ride together. Perhaps, I should simply go to a ride that I choose, and ride with whomever I happen to meet on the ride that I know.

I KNOW that I beat to a different drummer. I actually believe that a ride leader should sweep a ride, and be sure that all cyclists on that ride are doing ok, and that they successfully finish the ride.

I am certainly NOT saying that anyone should change their thinking, and I certainly have been told by some that I respect and like, that I am wrong in my thinking. But if you meet at a ride to do a ride and everyone simply does his or her own thing, then why meet at all in the first place??

I really prefer no responses to this post from those mentioned, since all it will do is upset me, anyway.

I guess I simply tell people how I feel, and that costs me relationships sometimes.

Sincere Serotta Sandy