PDA

View Full Version : ATMO these wheels are fast.

shinomaster
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Yesterday was perhaps the most lovely and windy day of the year. Rather than riding my cross bike in the shady woods I chose to ride my Shamal equipped Cannonball out to an island and back (Sauvies), in the glorious sun. It is a perfectly flat ride and on the way out I was motoring along at what seemed like warp speed. I had a serious tail wind but these wheels just feel faster. They also are extremely stiff and seem to help me sprint up short climbs better than my much lighter Neutrons.
A few times I was almost blown over into a gutter because of a fierce cross-wind but I managed to hang on and make it home. I rode my self into the ground riding as fast as I could. I'm trying to work on my speed for the first MP laps of my upcoming cross races. Not having ridden much this summer has left me hungry to ride rather than burned out. I feel like I'm on my way up rather than trying to hold on to my fleeting summer fitness.
Anyway, it was a fun ride and partly because of these wheels. The only disadvantage to them I can find is they are so stiff that the rear wheel skips on bumps and stones, and they make you bike about a pound heavier. I would love to have done that ride with some truly "lightweight" aero wheels. How much faster would they be?

Your_Friend!
09-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Shinomaster!

On A Flat Ride

As You Describe!

The _Very_ Light Wheels

May Even Be Slower!

Love,
Y_F!

fstrthnu
09-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Shino,

With those wheels, why on earth would you want anything else?

shinomaster
09-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Justin!_I_may_not_need_anything_else_! They_were_pure-Joy_!
A_T_M_O_!

chrisroph
09-10-2007, 06:21 PM
shino--old but good. tubie or clincher?

shinomaster
09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
shino--old but good. tubie or clincher?

Clincher...I ruined the back on something on the lovely HWY 30. I was pretty turbo yesterday...good thing you didn't come ;)

ergott
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I gotta admit that those are hot! They don't get that much more aero than those.

Fixed
09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
bro sounds like a ride you will remember cool
cheers :beer:

chrisroph
09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
lets go preride kruegers on wednesday, i hear it will be open.

darylb
09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Its funny but I just took mine off (acutally mine are the Vento but basically the same wheel) and replaced them with Eurus. The Eurus feel way faster to me.

Crosswinds were starting to really get on my nerves. I also feel like the Eurus handle much better.

I do love the looks and for now am keeping them as back ups but would consider selling them.

RPS
09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
.....snipped......The only disadvantage to them I can find is they are so stiff that the rear wheel skips on bumps and stones, and they make you bike about a pound heavier. I would love to have done that ride with some truly "lightweight" aero wheels. How much faster would they be?Nice bike and great wheels. :D
To prevent skipping a softer frame makes an even bigger difference with aero wheels.
An extra pound on flats riding alone is far less than 0.1 percent in speed. I wish I didn't know that.

Simon Q
09-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Its funny but I just took mine off (acutally mine are the Vento but basically the same wheel) and replaced them with Eurus. The Eurus feel way faster to me.

Crosswinds were starting to really get on my nerves. I also feel like the Eurus handle much better.

I do love the looks and for now am keeping them as back ups but would consider selling them.

They do look awesome.

zank
09-10-2007, 11:44 PM
One of the pieces of kit that I wish I hung onto. Enjoy them, Shino.

jimcav
09-11-2007, 12:43 AM
never felt faster, they were also always true, despite some indiana potholes.
later put them on a 16 lb bike build--felt like i got blown around more. the colnago was about 21 pounds and more stable in crosswinds to me.
still miss them at times, but they were heavy. but once I got going, i did feel like the energizer--but where i was was flat, flat, flat

jim

vaxn8r
09-11-2007, 01:45 AM
I had a set of Ventos of the same era. Same wheel with 16 spokes. I found them to ride pretty harsh over longer rides so after a year or so I replaced them and eventually sold them to somebody on the forum who lived in New York, who in turn sold them to one of my buddies here in Eugene. Weird.

zap
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Cool wheels. Will Campy make something like this again?

My wife swears that her Shamal SL's are the fastest wheels she's ridden on the flats. On descents, she just fly's.

I just need to find an old campy lockring so she can ride them again.

BigDaddySmooth
09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I have the 2000 version w/ the black rim...tubbie of course. I've read some articles that say the Shamals have great aero features yet Greenwell on analyticcycling.com has numbers worse than the standard 32 rim. What gives? Are Shamals aero or not (one what think yes due to 38 mm rim, 12 aero spokes up front, 16 in the rear)?

oracle
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
those are faast and they do hold themselves really well (i used to have the tub. version) in a corner. maybe your tire pressure is too high or your tires are not supple enough?

shinomaster
09-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I have the 2000 version w/ the black rim...tubbie of course. I've read some articles that say the Shamals have great aero features yet Greenwell on analyticcycling.com has numbers worse than the standard 32 rim. What gives? Are Shamals aero or not (one what think yes due to 38 mm rim, 12 aero spokes up front, 16 in the rear)?

Mine are 12 spokes front and back. Sometimes they feel as if they have a life of their own. They are in fact harsh riding over the bumps, but the roads around here are really smooth, when compared to the Northeast. I don't see how they couldn't be aero?
The owner of a LBS here in town told me a long time ago that his Shamals were the heaviest and fastest wheels he had ever owned. They certainly sound fast when riding, or perhaps like a ninja throwing Ginsu knives.

wasfast
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Perhaps you should do the same run out to Sauvies since the hurricane force winds of this weekend are now past. Some guys popo the flat Sauvies out and back but it's a nice ride to me. It's that or turn left on your way out and climb the west hills, not nearly as straightforward.

I'm heading out for a ride in a couple hours, absolutely glorious today!

steelrider
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
TT types and Tri riders claim them to be the fastest wheels. They usually bring a grip of $ on Ebay. Heck, they look smooooth.

Louis
09-11-2007, 10:36 PM
On descents, she just fly's.

Zap,

In the interest of your marital harmony I suggest that you never, ever again say that your wife is fast on descents. :no: For reasons that in retrospect should be clear, this can only get you in major hot water. Fast on flats, good, fast on rolling hills, great. Fast on descents, bad.

Louis

shinomaster
09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Perhaps you should do the same run out to Sauvies since the hurricane force winds of this weekend are now past. Some guys popo the flat Sauvies out and back but it's a nice ride to me. It's that or turn left on your way out and climb the west hills, not nearly as straightforward.

I'm heading out for a ride in a couple hours, absolutely glorious today!

Sauvies is a great ride. I have always felt that rides with no stopping and flat roads are some of the most difficult. You can make them as difficult as you choose.

J.Greene
09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
So, how heavy is a pair?

JG

shinomaster
09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
So, how heavy is a pair?

JG

Not all that heavy.. They weigh about the same as the older Mavic Cosmics with the aluminum rim. Maybe those are faster? If I remember correctly around 1850-1900 grams a pair? I'm sure there is modern technology that is faster, but it is certainly not as pretty. I'll post pix of the shiny hubs tomorrow. :banana:

Grant McLean
09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
So, how heavy is a pair?

JG

the '96 catalog lists the 12 spoke versions:

clincher 2,090 grams
tubular 1,890 grams

(that's the lighter version with the 'Ti' rear hub)

g

shinomaster
09-12-2007, 03:29 PM

clincher 2,090 grams
tubular 1,890 grams

g

omg.... :confused:

Grant McLean
09-12-2007, 03:33 PM
omg.... :confused:

rotating weight makes the world go 'round :)

-g

Fixed
09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
bro it's a lot to do with you

wheels ain't fast you are
cheers

shinomaster
09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
rotating weight makes the world go 'round :)

-g

Luckily I weigh 143lbs.

J.Greene
09-13-2007, 06:46 AM

clincher 2,090 grams
tubular 1,890 grams

g

I'm slow no matter the weight or spoke count, but some guys on this board could almost have a pair of wheels on the bike and a pair in the wheel pit for 2090g. They do look nice though, and fashion is always fast.

JG

shinomaster
09-13-2007, 02:25 PM
The best hubs ever? These are extremely polished to a mirror-like state, much more so than the dull record of two years ago. Campy did it right for so long...what happened? Did they start sniffing glue? Even Bontrager cranks exhibit more shine. If you look close you can see my reflection.

Grant McLean
09-13-2007, 02:41 PM
If you look close you can see my reflection.

great pix

g

Tobias
09-13-2007, 03:16 PM

clincher 2,090 grams
tubular 1,890 grams

gThe extra pound is OK, but what about having only 12 spokes? If one breaks, is the wheel rideable or would you be eating pavement?

e-RICHIE
09-13-2007, 03:20 PM
...but what about having only 12 spokes? If one breaks, is the wheel rideable or would you be eating pavement?
i've broken spokes on these. it's jodi foster time atmo.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1389/5831_0021.jpg

Ginger
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
The best hubs ever? These are extremely polished to a mirror-like state, much more so than the dull record of two years ago. Campy did it right for so long...what happened? Did they start sniffing glue? Even Bontrager cranks exhibit more shine. If you look close you can see my reflection.

Nice flip flops Johnny.

Tobias
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
i've broken spokes on these. it's jodi foster time atmo.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1389/5831_0021.jpgI can see the other images but not yours. Care to translate jodi?

e-RICHIE
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I can see the other images but not yours. Care to translate jodi?
i can see it.
right click on it and choose show picture.
we're talking taxi driver atmo.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1389/5831_0021.jpg

Tobias
09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
i can see it.
right click on it and choose show picture.
we're talking taxi driver atmo.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1389/5831_0021.jpgI still can't see the picture, so I'll assume it's not a pleasant experience.

e-RICHIE
09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
I still can't see the picture, so I'll assume it's not a pleasant experience.
uh the pic is also in the link i added in my reply.
to wit, breaky spokey = cally taxi atmo.

Grant McLean
09-13-2007, 04:06 PM
to wit, breaky spokey = cally taxi atmo.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1361/9360_0101.jpg

g

shinomaster
09-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Boy she was cute..

shinomaster
09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Atmo did you break a spoke doing tricks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGGCVE2lKY

Tobias
09-13-2007, 04:57 PM
to wit, breaky spokey = cally taxi atmo.e-RICHIE, I get that the referral is denied. Sorry. :cool:
Walking home is not as bad as going down. With only six spokes per side I would fear the rim would lock up on the brake sending me over the bars.

e-RICHIE
09-13-2007, 05:06 PM
e-RICHIE, I get that the referral is denied. Sorry. :cool:
Walking home is not as bad as going down. With only six spokes per side I would fear the rim would lock up on the brake sending me over the bars.
oh - if a spoke breaks you will lock up, believe me atmo.

vaxn8r
09-13-2007, 08:28 PM
great pix

g
Those mirror finish hubs are a bear to polish once they get sweat on them. It's like sweat just eats away the finish.

Tobias
09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
oh - if a spoke breaks you will lock up, believe me atmo.Who needs that to save 2 or 3 watts of power. Thanks but I'll ride .1 MPH slower and keep my teeth.

e-RICHIE
09-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Who needs that to save 2 or 3 watts of power. Thanks but I'll ride .1 MPH slower and keep my teeth.
with 11 spokes that wheel won't clear any chainstay
or brake block configuration known to man atmo.

ps
arrange disorder
:) :) :)
:) :) :p
:) :) :)

paczki
09-14-2007, 07:59 AM
I think they have to be the nicest looking wheels I've just about ever seen.

shinomaster
09-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't break spokes imho.