PDA

View Full Version : Strokes

kgrooney
09-10-2007, 01:13 PM
In August while on vacation I had a stroke and since then have had multiple tests to determine why.
Just last week, a hole in my heart was located, which according to the doctors, sent blood clots to the brain causing the stroke.
The plan is to utilize a trans-catheter to either insert a device to seal the hole or repair it.
Has anyone experienced such a situation and were you able to return to cycling as before?

Fixed
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
bro I am sorry ... I will send a prayer for your return
they found out what was wrong that is good
I bet we see you riding soon
cheers

Gothard
09-10-2007, 01:22 PM
2 main possibilities as to why:

-1: the hole causes turbulances which favorise thrombus formation, which thrombus then leaves into the aorta and goes wherever (bad) luck tells it to. Statistically, the greatest part of the flow is head and kidneys, but that does not mean much.

-2: the hole is a FOP (foramen Ovale Permeable), and clot formed in your calf (deep venous thrombosis, or DVT) is dislodged and travels to your heart. from there is *should* go into the lungs and cause PE (pulmonary embolism), but since there is a hole in your heart it can pass on to the left heart and embolise into the main ciculation instead of the right circulation (lungs). This is called paradoxal embolism.

Not knowing which happened to you, I can not issue prognosis nor recommendation, but septal defects are rather easily repaired percutaneously when they are small. If you were aware of nothing before, then the hole is likely small.

DISCLAIMER: While I am a doc (interventional radiology), I am not *your* doc, and do not have license to practice in the USA, so the above value is to be considered null....

Edit: seeing where you are located, I have zero worries. Some of the world's best work in your backyard.

Best of luck!

ecl2k
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.ccjm.org/PDFFILES/Krasuski2-07.pdf

you'll probably be back

Sandy
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
In August while on vacation I had a stroke and since then have had multiple tests to determine why.
Just last week, a hole in my heart was located, which according to the doctors, sent blood clots to the brain causing the stroke.
The plan is to utilize a trans-catheter to either insert a device to seal the hole or repair it.
Has anyone experienced such a situation and were you able to return to cycling as before?

I certainly am unable to answer your question (my brother is a cardiologist and can probably answer it with enough pertinent info, I think). I do hope, very much so, that you will be able to return to cycling. I have no idea the physical limitations that the stroke may or may not have caused, but your ability to communicate herein in a most clear and easily understood manner suggests, to me, that your mental acuity is certainly in tact. Cycling is a gift and it can be taken away temporarily or permanently at any time for anyone of us. Be it from an illness or accident or death or whatever. I truly hope that the gift of cycling will be there for you in the not too distant future.

Please let us know what happens.

Sandy