PDA

View Full Version : Cadence comes to Manhattan

fiamme red
09-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Interesting article:

http://www.velocitynation.com/article.aspx?ID=1715&CID=55

I'm curious, how do people here like the Philly shop?

Excerpt:

Anyone who spends serious time on a bike has probably spent serious time in bike shops. And in New York City it’s hard not to notice that bike shops have become more and more tribal, turning into “lifestyle destinations” as much as anything else. At TrackStar, for instance, kids drink beer in brown bags and compare tattoos. At Cadence, however, an ambitious new “cycling and multisport center” on the corner of Vestry and Hudson streets in Tribeca, you can probably get some good stock tips and a line on a Bridgehampton share next season. Tribeca is now the wealthiest zip code in the country, and Cadence believe they have a potential customer base that will appreciate the extremely attentive service and club-like atmosphere of the world’s premiere cycling centers.

In practice, Cadence is like an alternative theme park for fitness fanatics, with indoor cycling classes featuring twenty-four networked Computrainers broadcasting on an overhead projector; a physiology lab for lactate threshold, Wingate (max wattage), and V02 max testing; a biomechanical lab for bike fitting with Dartfish software; an Endless Pool room; a weight training room; a wall of treadmills; a café with a big cappuccino machine; and top of the line bicycles and accessories. The basement even features a concierge service that allows for busy people to drop off their bikes on their way to work, and use them for indoor cycling classes on their way home, after they’ve been cleaned and set on trainers, just waiting for your arrival. Think of it as bicycle day care.

Fixed
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
bro
that new shop sounds like it would painless they go up through your wallet
cheers

fiamme red
09-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm curious, how do people here like the Philly shop?A google search yielded this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/business/businessspecial/20disimone.html?ei=5070&en=07d6627fb6b20782&ex=1189569600&pagewanted=all

e-RICHIE
09-10-2007, 10:30 AM
this must have gone down well at a certain shop atmo -

Mr. Heitmann, 38, a top rider nationally in his age group, said
that he had spent $15,000 within months at a Philadelphia bike
shop, but received "mediocre service."

amg
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I work in the area and have visited on a number of occasions. Nice place, nice bikes and the staff is friendly. There are a lot of people in the area that have no idea what to spend their Goldman Sachs bonus on and this place fits the bill perfectly.

Antonio

goonster
09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
There are a lot of people in the area that have no idea what to spend their Goldman Sachs bonus on

I don't have that kind of problem, and I don't get the sense that most Cadence clients ride for fun.

Luckily, there is a dark, cluttered place in the Northeast that will take my humble shekels.

Alexi
09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
why go to a nice clean shop with helpful service when you can come see me at 75 avenue C or Jeff down on Ave B and 14?

seriously we may not have a wind tunel, but neither of us will tell you your vintage Peugeot 531 decked out in Shimno 600 tricolor that your land lord just gave you is not worth new tires...

e-RICHIE
09-10-2007, 12:52 PM
...but neither of us will tell you your vintage Peugeot 531 decked out in Shimno 600 tricolor that your land lord just gave you is not worth new tires...
that really happens?

michael white
09-10-2007, 02:38 PM
anyone smart enough to ride a bike like that probably shops at Nashbar.

that's not a joke, btw.

Alexi
09-10-2007, 02:53 PM
that really happens?

yeah thats a true story. I did a tune up on the guys bike, replaced the free wheel & Chain , trued the wheels, new tires cables and housing, and a spiffy brooks saddle, everything cost around $250. The guy now rides it daily. I've heard this type of story from a few customers, and the guy that owns the other neighborhood shop has actually heard a similar thing said to a customer in another shop (not at cadence).

Alexi
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
anyone smart enough to ride a bike like that probably shops at Nashbar.

wow thanks for negating my existence. And Nashbar does give such lovely help installing those things you buy from them, and gives you free alignment help on those derailleurs and brakes you got from them, and teach you how to change a flat when you buy tubes from them :rolleyes:

e-RICHIE
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
yeah thats a true story. I did a tune up on the guys bike, replaced the free wheel & Chain , trued the wheels, new tires cables and housing, and a spiffy brooks saddle, everything cost around $250. The guy now rides it daily. I've heard this type of story from a few customers, and the guy that owns the other neighborhood shop has actually heard a similar thing said to a customer in another shop (not at cadence).
that guy shoulda' gone William on the cat atmo.

ps
arrange disorder
;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)
:p ;) ;)

sg8357
09-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Luckily, there is a dark, cluttered place in the Northeast that will take my humble shekels.

Goonster, Cadence has a door warden, if you exceed 5% body fat or have greasy bike part on your person he won't let you in.

My friend Mollys comment on the Trek Store, "Its too clean to be a bike shop"
Real bike shops have tons of old cr**p in the back that you can root thru. ;-)

Scott G.
Off to find some Mafacs in the back room.

Ti Designs
09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm seeing a whole lot of emphasis on the quality level of the bike and maybe even the service. They even hit the performance aspect with state of the art testing. At least Signature cycles puts some real emphasis on fit - I'm sure the good folks at Cadence know all about fit... But what about the riders? Is it assumed that everybody is born with a good pedal stroke and perfect riding skills? I'll put money on it that I can take a rider I've coached for less than a year, who's spent far less on both bike and coaching and she'll be able to ride circles around 99% of their customers. Where's the real value???

There are two sides to this. One is the business side. There are plenty of fat cats out there with way too much money, and they're going to spend it somewhere. My local Benz dealer tiled their parking lot - and that's what they're looking for, the Nth step in luxury. Why go to a place that you have to push the door open when there are places with automatic doors that also balance the pressure in the room? On the other hand, some of us looking to start performance studios are cyclists at heart and would rather spend our time working with new riders hungry to learn than sell $10,000 bikes to those who will never ride them. Just the same, I'll make it a point every time I can to show the world it's the rider, not the bike.

michael white
09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
wow thanks for negating my existence. And Nashbar does give such lovely help installing those things you buy from them, and gives you free alignment help on those derailleurs and brakes you got from them, and teach you how to change a flat when you buy tubes from them :rolleyes:

no man, just sayin, it's usually the really practical-minded guys who still ride those bikes, the ones who don't care about trends, and they're tightwads . . .

But if the bike needs service work, of course he needs to come to you. . .

Ti Designs
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
And Nashbar does give such lovely help installing those things you buy from them, and gives you free alignment help on those derailleurs and brakes you got from them, and teach you how to change a flat when you buy tubes from them :rolleyes:

You must have one of them new Iphones that can surf the internet, play music, change tires, adjust derailleurs and make calls. Best I've ever gotten from Nashbar was stupid looks...

CaptStash
09-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I think that places like Cadence are fine, although I tend to laugh my a-- off at them. I built a perfectly good 16 pound bike from nice parts off e-Bay for under $2,000 and enjoy zooming by thirty-somethings on their mega dollar bikes.

And then again, every time I think I am pretty fast, some dude older than me (I'm 45 -- I know practically ancient) on a bike heavier than mine with down-tube shifters zooms right on by.

Our hero Lance said it right: It's not about the bike!

I also want to point out that for many of us, the process of training and improving our skills is the fun thing anyway.

And finally -- I have to say it. If you can't bring yourself to learn basic bicycle maintenance you are a (prepare for political incorrectness) a GIRLYMAN! (or woman if you will -- you know what I mean).

Rant end. Ride fast.

CaptStash....

Ti Designs
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
And finally -- I have to say it. If you can't bring yourself to learn basic bicycle maintenance you are a (prepare for political incorrectness) a GIRLYMAN! (or woman if you will -- you know what I mean).

I'm guessing things like changing a tire or figuring out basic riding techniques came easy to you. That's not always the case, in fact I would be big money that most of Cadence's high dollar clients can't change their own tires. There's two sides to this as well, those who need good teachers and those who it all came easy to and never gave a second thought to how it's done.

I can change a tire as fast as just about anyone. I showed the Conti rep how to pull one of their clinchers onto a rim while looking at and talking to the shop guys who say they're too tight. But when I had to teach one of my coaching clients how to change a tire it took all night. Seeing things from their perspective ain't easy, but it's the only way. Why can't most of Cadence's customers change a flat? Because they don't offer a class that will really teach them how it's done. If you show them how it's done it's not going to sink in. If you have them do it once they have a chance of making it work if they get a flat in the next week. I had my client change tires until he really got it (or the bottle ran dry - not sure which came first).

I have a hard time putting down people 'cause they can't work on their own bikes. My client is worth millions, I can change a flat - which one of us should be laughing???

CaptStash
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Ti-Designs said "I'm guessing things like changing a tire or figuring out basic riding techniques came easy to you. That's not always the case, in fact I would be big money that most of Cadence's high dollar clients can't change their own tires."

You are partially correct. Yes I am more mechanically inclined than a lot of people and I certainly would not expect most people to build-up a bike like I did.

That said, I do believe that anybody can learn how to change and repair a tube, clean and lube their bike and make minor adjustments.

It is good to hear that people like you are around to teach. I still have a heck of a time putting folding clinchers on my DA wheels. Maybe you can show me your trick some time?

Anyway, that part of my rant was mostly tongue in cheek. I have been known to wander into my LBS and ask for help which they are usually more than willing to give. Of course I am also careful not to start peppering them with questions when they are obviously busy. There is no reason that others can't do the same. And that is the beauty of a regular LBS over a place like Cadence (for most of us). You build a relationship with the folks at the LBS.

CaptStash....

Dude
09-10-2007, 11:41 PM
I can tell you firsthand that this place is great. I work in the industry, and have for the past 6 years and I used to live in philly. People in the industry, as male dominated as it is, are very stubborn and emotional. Cadence pulled off the philly store because if you actually spent the time to talk to any of the employees, they are crazy about cycling - i'm not saying nobody did speak to them but from the coaches (all of which were active racers, you can read their accolades on the website) to the salespeople. The lowest kid on the totem pole raced for mercury as an 18 year old. The store manager is a DH/cross country rider who could school you and the woody, the mechanic has grown up riding bikes - the tall goofy bastard.

The way the owner has to approach this is people are automatically going to stigmatize this shop because it serves the higher end clientele. By hiring the right people who are friendly, polite, proffessional yet can "bro down" like any other shop guy, you disarm them. If the customer/potential customer/web rat don't actually take the time to learn about this, that is their fault. Not Cadence's.

THe other thing I noticed was that when joe schmoe with tons of money came in, bought a bike, committed to coaching and riding a lot. He/she turned their life around. So many people lost a bunch of weight, found a whole new social network and found a new outlet to have fun - the same reason we all ride. It was awesome to see the conversion from sweatpants/headband rider to lycra'd out with a shiny gold helmet. Cadence gives someone the tools to ride a bike from beginning to end.

Take the time to go in , look at the product, talk to someone - anyone - about riding and all thoughts of snobbery will dissolve. Prices aren't expensive, they are competitive with what else is out there and as anyone on this board can tell you, coaching is more valuable than any piece of equipment you can put on your bike.

Climb01742
09-11-2007, 05:04 AM
i've never been to cadence, so this comment is based solely on the article. but it seems another part of what they're trying to offer is a more welcoming, hospitable environment. which is something a lot of bike shops, in my experience, have no clue about.

like it or not, our economy is moving toward a service economy. service matters. but beyond that, human beings simply deserve to be treated nicely.

it's easy to make fun of over-weight, over-paid brokers spending $15k on a bike they'll rarely ride. but that's missing the main point, i think. which i think is: a lot of bike shops simply don't make customers feel welcome or valued.

ed, your boss is a prime offender. you, thom and scott always made/make customers feel good. a lot of the other guys at your shop never have or will. who's to blame for that? if a cadence opened in boston (and don't believe for a second that they don't have plans to at least consider it) they could eat WW's lunch solely based on how WW has treated people over the years. that's not your fault. but it is the reality.

Ti Designs
09-11-2007, 06:34 AM
ed, your boss is a prime offender. you, thom and scott always made/make customers feel good. a lot of the other guys at your shop never have or will. who's to blame for that? if a cadence opened in boston (and don't believe for a second that they don't have plans to at least consider it) they could eat WW's lunch solely based on how WW has treated people over the years. that's not your fault. but it is the reality.

Working on it! The one problem I keep seeing is the failure to understand the customer's level of understanding about cycling. I've broken my coaching down to three major groups, the novice rider (the customer who got talked into doing some charity ride next spring and doesn't know the first thing about riding), the uncoached (the person who's been riding for a while but never took the time to learn good technique) and the goal driven (the person training for their first century, Mt Washington, racing...). I've gone to 20 shops this summer to watch how they deal with people (Cadence not being one of them), NONE of them deal with the novice rider well. Think of your first driving experience, Did you start out on the Mass Pike ramp 10 minutes before rush hour in a porsche turbo with a 6 speed tranny? I don't think so. So what makes you think putting these people on 20 speed bikes with clipless pedals and sending them out the door is going to be any better?

The other thing I noticed was that when joe schmoe with tons of money came in, bought a bike, committed to coaching and riding a lot. He/she turned their life around.

Oddly enough, that's where all of my investors in my coaching business have come from. But here's the problem: How many young racers working at a bike shop want to take out the total novice on a ride? When I was working with the Harvard team the new riders were called "Ed's retards" or the "Special Ed" ride. They wobbled down the road and once in a while fell over. It takes a combination teacher/cyclist to do the trick and you don't find that many of them.

My solution is to seperate the shop from the coaching. The shop is in the business of selling bikes. Profit comes from units, they don't have the time or resources to hold people's hands while they learn how to ride. My coaching business is about teaching people how to ride (it's really about adding value to any bike purchase). The two sides need to work together. In working with riders my first step is bike fit and basic riding form. Some of that is working with the rider on position on the bike, some of that is bike fitting. Most of the time it's a tweek here or there (saddle position, stem length/height) but I've run into plenty of cases where the bike was all wrong. That drives bike sales. Do I have time to open a bike shop? No.

As long as I'm throwing this out there, I'll ask for some feedback. I was working with a novice rider the other week. We were talking about clipless pedals at first, then I realized she was scared to death about getting locked into her pedals - a sure sign of a novice. It was time to simplify her cycling experience, so I put her on flat plastic pedals, put the bike in an easy gear, told her not to touch the shifters and we went out for a ride. The one thing I learned from this was that Waverley square at rush hour isn't the place to teach new riders. Yet, having the indoor cycling classes and fit studio, I would want the new place to be very close to the main store. Opinions???

Alexi
09-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Ed aka TiDesigns, you work for wheel works? i'll hopefully be seeing Cat tonights after I come in from the BK

sg8357
09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Cadence = highly paid bike shop employee, an amazing thought.
Always wanted to meet a shop rat with a Sachs.

Scott G.

WickedWheels
09-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Why would you all bash a shop like this?! You should be happy that cycling is getting big enough to support stores like this. How many shops like this were around 15 years ago? How often did your neighbors or friends ask you for bike advice 15 years ago? How many group rides did you drive by 15 years ago on a random sunday morning?

I honestly don't know how they do business or how they treat their clients, but I am extremely happy that there is a new high-end store in town. It legitimizes the sport a little bit more, it legitimizes the industry a little bit more. All the disgruntled shop rats that complain about such a thing need to re-examine their priorities. You may be happy trying to make a few dollars here and there, accumulating your own small clique of die-hard fans and convincing the world that your self-martyr poverty-stricken lifestyle comes from a love of the sport, but don't begruge others that are trying to be professionals in this business.

Kudos to Cadence for taking a bike shop to the next level and raising the bar.

Alexi
09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Why would you all bash a shop like this?

because they have repeatedly been complete asses to customers of mine, and customers of other shops I talk to in the area. telling someone that their bike is not worth a new set of tires is the most belittling thing you can do to a cyclist. I have this rule about always saying something nice about someones bike, and if they are excited about their bike then I get excited to help them. Most cyclists don't know the difference between a shop that sells $15,000 bikes (cadence), $1,500 bikes (metro) and $180 bikes (recycle a bicycle). I have yet to be in the shop myself, but have had plenty of expediences in shops where I'm seen as some goofy hipster with tattoos who is into bikes cause they are "cool."

1centaur
09-11-2007, 11:44 AM
"Waverley square at rush hour isn't the place to teach new riders. Yet, having the indoor cycling classes and fit studio, I would want the new place to be very close to the main store. Opinions???"

You must separate the coaching locale from the fitting/classes locale, because neither the geography nor the nature of unsure riders will ever change. The few times I have been to WW, I was always amazed by how many cyclists were on Trapelo, which by my standards is a really lousy road for cyclists (fast, impatient drivers getting to and from 128; no shoulder; long hills). When I test rode a WW bike, I drove 45 minutes there, picked it up, drove 45 minutes home, rode for 90 minutes, then drove the bike back for another 90 minute round trip. There are plenty of low traffic roads in eastern Mass, but very few of them are close enough to WW to make a nervous rider calm and open to all instructions. If you are doing one on one, you can travel to them, meet them at a designated location (preferable) or pick them up and take them where it's quiet. One of the costs of doing business.

Frog Hair
09-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Cadence is just the other end of the "tribe" spectrum. The Cadence Tribe is a high 6-figure income consumer. Their time is worth more than whatever they are going to spend in that store. These people tend to pay for instant gratification. They spend money on valet parking the same as they spend money on Cadence to tell them how to ride a bike. They don't want to make the time to figure it out on their own (which is fine), and Cadence has identified that there is a profitable business model to be had with this kind of client. In time, I'm sure Cadence will have the cash in the bank to tile their parking lot too.
All the same, the Cadence customer is "appalled" at the beer/ tattoo/ messenger tribe - that messenger tribe is equally appalled at the Cadence shopper.
They go out of their way to ensure that their staff is highly accredited. Degrees are as important as miles and your team resume.
Do I shop at Cadence? No. And yeah, I've been to the Philly store. It was neat and shiny. Bulk of the staff was nice. The little Napolean-complex guy who is one of the owners is kind of funny. But thats just my own opinion from having met him in the store. I'm sure he is pleased with his success.
Cadence is what Cadence is. Its just another tribe, although in different cloths. They are certainly worth checking out if for no other reason than to see what that end of the spectrum looks like. By the same token, I don't shop at Gucci, but its fun to look in the window every now and then.

e-RICHIE
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Cadence is <cut>
gets it atmo.
Cadence = Bijan meets Bicycles

fiamme red
09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Lactate and Vo2 Max test at Cadence:

http://www.velocitynation.com/article.aspx?ID=1716&CID=56

It’s easy to get lost at Cadence. At 11,000 square feet, the Tribeca 'campus' is massive. I followed Colette past racks of gorgeous Cervelo bikes, past the café and the huge Computrainer room, to what looks like a doctor’s office furnished with computers, a treadmill, yet another Computrainer, and a Parvo TrueOne 2400 for V02 max testing. We were told this is the same machine that NASA uses to test astronauts, and that the only other one in the city is in a hospital. The machine looks pretty impressive, and it’s not even tuned on yet...

http://www.velocitynation.com/pictures/image/cadence/collete3.jpg

djg
09-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm seeing a whole lot of emphasis on the quality level of the bike and maybe even the service. They even hit the performance aspect with state of the art testing. At least Signature cycles puts some real emphasis on fit - I'm sure the good folks at Cadence know all about fit... But what about the riders? Is it assumed that everybody is born with a good pedal stroke and perfect riding skills? I'll put money on it that I can take a rider I've coached for less than a year, who's spent far less on both bike and coaching and she'll be able to ride circles around 99% of their customers. Where's the real value???

There are two sides to this. One is the business side. There are plenty of fat cats out there with way too much money, and they're going to spend it somewhere. My local Benz dealer tiled their parking lot - and that's what they're looking for, the Nth step in luxury. Why go to a place that you have to push the door open when there are places with automatic doors that also balance the pressure in the room? On the other hand, some of us looking to start performance studios are cyclists at heart and would rather spend our time working with new riders hungry to learn than sell $10,000 bikes to those who will never ride them. Just the same, I'll make it a point every time I can to show the world it's the rider, not the bike.

That's all fine, and I don't doubt at all your assessment, but doesn't your second paragraph respond to your first? There are folks out there with lots of money. In Manhattan, there are lots of folks with lots and lots of money. Some are into fashion; some are into "fitness"; some are into fitness gear; some are into fitness and gear; some are into truffles. Some actually have some athletic talent and many do not. Whatever. If you could do much more for the cycling abilities of most of the Cadence customers for much less money -- and I assume you could -- does it really matter? Maybe for a few it does, and I hope that good coaches and apt pupils somehow find their ways to each other. For most -- well, turning them into really serious riders is probably not really to the point, and might even be a terrible disservice to their families, if they got 'em. I dunno -- I'm just guessing.

09-11-2007, 12:50 PM
disclaimer:
bought two bikes from Paul Levine and was coached by cadence.

My experience is as follows I have done 8 thousand miles a year for the last few after being 370lbs-
3 ironman and countless road races an tt's

Signature cycles is the real deal-guys that are into cycling and want to offer a great product -Boutique yes but honest and fair, available and willing to help.

Cadence feels like a standardized version of what Paul is.

Cadence does not feel genuine- granted some of the folks are great guys-Matt Heitman and woody (thomas wood) to name a couple.

My guess is because the evolution of cadence is not organic but from an entruepenurial (sp) spirit.

if i can make a couple of analogies-

Signature cycles is like and art gallery and cadence and art auction.
the both have art but...
or

signature is the 911 biturbo and cadence the cayman.

both Porsche but...

my $.02

e-RICHIE
09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
see post
hypothetical atmo -
might you have felt this way if cadence pre-existed paul levine?

09-11-2007, 03:12 PM
hypothetical atmo -
might you have felt this way if cadence pre-existed paul levine?

In my experience Cadence did preexist Paul Levine- I was at the manayunk (philly) store a year ahead of seeking Paul Levine.

I do not know the chronology of cadence and levine and their perspective growth. Just my opinion and experiences I have had at both operations.

I like the operation that cadence has set up but it just feels artificial. Levine feels like the genuine article.

On the reverse perspective I do not view Michael at wheelfine imports as the real deal-either.

to cluttered to messy can not see anything or find it but he has a wealth if information and parts.

K

Ti Designs
09-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Cadence feels like a standardized version of what Paul is.

Saw that one coming! About a decade ago a company called HighRoads opened a bike shop in the Boston area based on the Staples model. In their business plan is said that each member of their staff would be an expert in all areas of cycling. That didn't work so well for them.

Paul knows fitting, he's taught the class at Serotta Fit School. Anyone who's ever been a teacher knows that you learn the subject inside and out when you teach, you get to the point where there's no question that can stump you. When you're doing a fitting with Paul, there's no fitting question you can ask that you can ask that he can't answer.

You can't hire a staff of rock stars. You may get one or two stand-outs (and you fight like hell to keep them), but to say that everyone there is going to be at that level is just plain unrealistic.

Paul Levine
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Ti Designs I appreciate your kind words. OOO50 I know I owe you a call, thanks for your support, as always.

Reading through this thread scares me. Many of you are making assumptions about clients, their riding skills, what motivates them to buy, their commitment to the sport, where they like to shop...all things that are skewed by your perspective, not reality based information. Aren't you being elitist in discriminating against others who want to derive pleasure in the same sport that we all love and share?

I believe any business that invests in treating their customers special should be applauded. Cadence has taken a risk to improve our cycling community in ways no one else has. They should be welcomed and supported. A rising tide, raises all ships. Competition brings out the best in people and businesses. I am looking forward to convincing potential clients that we are a better choice. However, every one is not our customer. And for those who are not, they deserve to have a great buying experience from a business that will get them excited about riding. At the end of the day, the more people riding bikes and truly enjoying them (whether the race, train, do one lap in the park, commute...) the better it is for the rest of us.

Paul Levine

Ti Designs
09-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Reading through this thread scares me. Many of you are making assumptions about clients, their riding skills, what motivates them to buy, their commitment to the sport, where they like to shop...all things that are skewed by your perspective, not reality based information.

Hmmm, I was making assumptions about the business. All the same, you're right. I'll have to take a trip and see for myself. While I'm at it, I would love to see Signature Cycles.

djg
09-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Ti Designs I appreciate your kind words. OOO50 I know I owe you a call, thanks for your support, as always.

Reading through this thread scares me. Many of you are making assumptions about clients, their riding skills, what motivates them to buy, their commitment to the sport, where they like to shop...all things that are skewed by your perspective, not reality based information. Aren't you being elitist in discriminating against others who want to derive pleasure in the same sport that we all love and share?

Paul Levine

Point taken -- a story and a thread are not the thing, the place, the people. I haven't had any contact with the shop or the folks and don't really have anything to offer -- I shoulda left it at that.

RIHans
09-12-2007, 12:01 AM
The well healed Tribeca six figure wanna-be bike rider, is looking for a different LBS experience. The folks at Cadence, it sounds to me, took a chance on that market. Big risk, big rewards. I'm sure the overhead and inventory are big buck$.

Would Mr. Tribeca get the same buying experience at Trackstar? Not sure, but I would guess he is used to the more... Barney's type shopping...and service, and is willing to pay for it.

That said, I'd like to stop in and check it out, all the bikes, the uber-cool stuff,
and wish them well, and then support my local LBS. I know them, they have kids, and could use the money.
Hans

stevep
09-12-2007, 05:16 AM
everybody who drives a ferrarri is not michael schumaker.
sometimes they just have the money and they like nice stuff.

and its not a bad thing. its where we live.