PDA

View Full Version : OT - longboards and surftech

andy mac
09-10-2007, 03:57 AM
demolished my beloved 8'10 becker geoff moysa pro today.

probably not worth repairing as it's pretty trashed from a lot of use over the years plus the thought of spending $$$$ i shouldn't is quite exciting.

seriously considering a 9'1 mctavish original:

http://www.waveridersgallery.net/catalog2/mctavish-original-p-407.html

it's available in surftech.

obviously there's a lot of hate for the new technology. probably makes champy vs shimano seem like a play fight between babies with balloons. when they are asleep.

curious about surftech as this board will be banged about, used by beginner friends etc. prefer the look and feel of glass but i have spent a lot repairing dings this year and missed some good days when both boards were out of commission.

(btw, i have a glass 7'6 mctavish carver.)

is it a better tech for shorter boards perhaps? i have heard the longboards can still snap. just as easily? have heard they should be 20 to 30% tougher.

any thoughts, advice, much appreciated.

full disclosure. i'm a pretty intermediate surfer. kelly s and i will never be confused and it's just not because i have hair.

wax on,

:beer:

a

ti_boi
09-10-2007, 04:06 AM
Guys I know like the surftech durability....but the ride is stiffer...you should test out one if possible.

Keith A
09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Agreed with what ti_boi stated. There are also more floaty and some people like that and others don't. I'd certainly try to test one out before spending your $'s.

any thoughts, advice, much appreciated.Have you tried a fish yet? My LB is almost never used now that I have a modern fish...best board I ever bought for the waves here in Florida.

Kahuna
09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Twinzer or thruster?

Have you tried a fish yet? My LB is almost never used now that I have a modern fish...best board I ever bought for the waves here in Florida.