PDA

View Full Version : Windy Ridge @ Mt St Helens

C5 Snowboarder
09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Saturday the 8th, my GF and I took on the grueling ride up to Windy Ridge at Mt St Helens. We started this challenging ride at the Iron Creek parking area which is at an elevation of about 1500 ft. Ride elevation gain was 4500 feet or so in 27 miles of wonderful views and scenery. We stopped at each view point for a little rest and to gaze at the wonder of Mother Nature when she blew the top off of Mt St Helens. There were a few places where we could peddle flat land and a couple of downhills to cool off on the way up knowing full well we had to climb back up those on the way back. We carried a little more than 2 liters of water each and food for much needed fuel for the trip - all of that was gone when we pulled into the parking lot after the 54 mile ride. The pavement is superb for riding 90% of the time with the rest being some gravel or rocks strewn over the road at many places and deep crevasses in the road where the road has split and shifts down – do not hit one of those at 30mpg. At mile 27 you are at the top of this climb - standing in front of the Mountain’s opening and seeing, even after 27 years after the fact, the shear power and destruction wrought by this phenomenon. The trees are still scattered every where but still all parallel to the 300 mph wind force that blew this dense forest down in a heartbeat.
A 70’s Pontiac -what is left of it - that was tossed around is still there as part of the memory of the deaths of 57 people that day.
We are beat, tired and amazed by all we have done and seen and find it hard to leave but before the legs and joints get too cold we start our decent. One of the visitors came out of their car and asked us “you didn’t ride those things up here did you?” We answer “yes, we did - it is a great ride” We talk about the 3 pretty hellashish climbs out of there to get back home but looking forward to the mostly down hill ride with exciting fast corners – read that as 15 or 20 mph speed limit signs for those that have motor vehicle. So now we are at Bear Meadows with nothing but miles of down hill curves ahead I let my Legend go full tilt – very few cars on the road down – lean my bike in the curves and the smile on my face was as wide as it could be. It reminded me of riding my alpine snowboard down Blackcomb. My GF is loving her Seven Cycle Luma and is all smiles at mile 42 where we take a break.

If any of you live in the great PNW – and have not done this ride I strongly suggest you put it on the “to do list” Cascade bike club is doing this ride Sept 23rd - see link for description.
http://www.cascade.org/EandR/hpc/Details.cfm
The part we did of this ride was the hard part – if you can do this the rest is child’s play.

I want to thank Serotta for making my Legend so this ride was possible and thank Brooks B-17 Ti saddle for making it comfortable.

chrisroph
09-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Nice,perfect day for it, that is a big climb.

coylifut
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
it's great up there. i've actually done it on a mtb via ape canyon trail and then across the lahar to the windy ridge observatory. i must have seen the largest elk ever seen by a mankind that day

rwsaunders
09-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Hats off to you on a good climb, as we were up there today enjoying the great weather. First time I've seen the mountain smoke. I saw them pulling a motorcycle up over a cliff too. Loose gravel and no guardrails can make it tough.

grateful
09-10-2007, 06:05 AM
I was 12 years old when the eruption occured. I was living in Central Washington and the path of the cloud went directly overhead. I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. Great fun as a kid, not so fun if your roof caves in due to the weight of the ash.

Still, that ash cloud was the most impressive thing that I have ever seen. It literally turned day to night.

"Miles away, the city of Yakima, Washington - population of 65,000- was affected the worst. It was a typical spring day with the birds chirping and the sun shining. However, this typical day did not last long. About 10:00 a.m. a black cloud covered the city and "snowed" ash. A street light nor a neighbor's porch light could be seen. the ash was so heavy it sank swimming pool covers and caved in old roofs. Businesses and schools were closed down and all normal activity in daily life ceased to exist. Yakima was hit like a snowstorm and it looked like it from afar."

C5 Snowboarder
09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Hats off to you on a good climb, as we were up there today enjoying the great weather. First time I've seen the mountain smoke. I saw them pulling a motorcycle up over a cliff too. Loose gravel and no guardrails can make it tough.

GreaT PHOTOS -- We went ultra light so no camera along. Any idea what the smoke was? I have always seen steam but we were wondering what could cause the smoke or what is burning in there?

rwsaunders
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Volcanic gases from what I understand.

U.S. Geological Survey, Vancouver, Washington
University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, Seattle, Washington

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:05 PDT (Monday, September 10, 2007 17:05 UTC)
MOUNT ST. HELENS UPDATE

Current Volcanic- Alert Level WATCH; Aviation Color Code ORANGE: Growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mount St. Helens continues, accompanied by low rates of seismicity, low emissions of steam and volcanic gases, and minor production of ash. During such eruptions, changes in the level of activity can occur over days to months. The eruption could intensify suddenly or with little warning and produce explosions that cause hazardous conditions within several miles of the crater and farther downwind. Small lahars could suddenly descend the Toutle River if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow and ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard along the river channel upstream.

Potential ash hazards: Wind forecasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), coupled with eruption models, show that any ash clouds rising above the crater rim today would drift west-southwest.

Potential ash hazards to aviation: Under current eruptive conditions, small, short-lived explosions may produce ash clouds that exceed 30,000 feet in altitude. Ash from such events can travel 100 miles or more downwind.

Recent observations: Warm and clear conditions provide views into the Mount St. Helens crater this morning. Volcano activity continues with on-going seismicity, deformation, and rockfalls from the crater walls and growing dome. There have been no significant changes in conditions over the last 24 hours.

The U.S. Geological Survey and the University of Washington continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue additional updates and changes in alert level as warranted.

For additional information, background, images, and other graphics: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Eruption04/

For seismic information: http://www.pnsn.org/HELENS/welcome.html

For a definition of alert levels: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Cascades/CurrentActivity/volcano_warning_scheme.html

For a webcam view of the volcano: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Telephone recordings with the latest update on Mount St. Helens and phone contacts for additional information can be heard by calling: (360) 891-5180.