PDA

View Full Version : Weekend ride reports!

Elefantino
09-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I'll start:

Saturday, did 30 with my wife, who is now so into it that after the ride we immediately went to the LBS and bought shoes, clipless, three jerseys and a vest. I think a monster (I mean that in a very good way) has been created.

Today, Endless Summer Watermelon Century in Jacksonville. Finished at exactly 20.0 for the 103 miles. A beautiful day, temps in the low 90s with only a slight breeze, good sags, good company.

I love this sport.

Too Tall
09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Sat. - blow out :( Spent the day replacing a windshield gasket in the Nova
Sun - ride to rowing, did 3X10 intervals arrived pretty blasted, rowed for 1 1/2 hrs. than 2 hrs. riding for fun + some fun hill jumps with local riders. It's hot here still...sheesh

weisan
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Sat. had stuff going on in the household, didn't get started until the afternoon at 4:30pm when the wife took the kids to a birthday party. Did 50 miles on the Hors Catergorie (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=31882). It's been almost a month since I got the bike and this is probably the 4th or 5th ride. The position is finally dialed in, all systems go. I am ready for the epic ride up in the Davis mountains next weekend to Fort Davis, west Texas (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12563&page=1&highlight=Fort+Davis). Be fun to test out the DKS on the fast descent, I can't wait... :rolleyes:

PS. The bike came with a blank headtube without any decal. Been thinking what I want to stick on it, other than a Serotta label. Any suggestion on a cool-lookin' graphic? :D

Kevan
09-09-2007, 04:00 PM
hot and humid here. Got in a very hilly 50 mile ride yesterday.

Today: stacked firewood

link
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Beautiful weather yesterday with high pressure and 70 ...rode in the dirt for three hours.

Scheduled to ride a century tomorrow but its supposed to snow. I'm sad 'bout that but I'm also jonesin' to glisse.

Bring it Ullr! :banana:

'tis the season for Fruita/Moab.

Fixed
09-09-2007, 04:12 PM
bro by myself i got 50 on my fixed sunday 50 sat on the miele it's a lot more comfy. imho
cheers

J.Greene
09-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Fri- TT, My best TT of the year.
Sat- RR, I died at least 1000 deaths.
Sun- Crit, I was involved with the business end of the race until 1 to go. I felt like a bike racer again.

JG

Fixed
09-09-2007, 04:25 PM
way to go bro you must be in good shape .keep it up
cheers :beer:

RABikes2
09-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Great fun riding 104 miles yesterday in absolutely wonderful weather here in North Florida. Doing chores today and took my son to a bowling party this afternoon.
Since PBP, it feels so weird NOT to have to go ride every weekend day. :rolleyes:
RA

Serotta_James
09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Did a 3 hour ride with a group from Concord center.
Then decided to try to get from Cambridge to Gloucester for no good reason. Got lost.
Tried to get home.
Ended up in South Boston.
Live to fight another day.

Ti Designs
09-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I've been on vacation for a week, so my ride reports go back a week...

Sunday: Got on the road tandem, did a lap of the park loop in Acadia Maine. It's kinda hilly - forgot to tell Barbara about that...

Monday: Got on the mountain tandem and rode all of the fire roads in Acadia - it's an awsome network of trails going all over the east side of the park. Did about 60 miles total including getting back up to our camp site. Felt like I had done over 100.

Wednesday: Back on the road tandem for a trip to the other side of the park. Over 60 miles, but there's no escaping the hills there. We were either going 50 MPH or 6 - I'm not kidding! Had to stop in at Bar Harbor to get warmer clothing for out next ride.

Thursday: Up at 4:00AM to climb Caddilac mountain on the mountain tandem to see the sunrise. When you ride a tandem with battery powered christmas lights strung along the tubes, people give you weird looks. From the top of the mountain you can coast to the place with the blueberry pancakes, which is what we did. You can't coast back up to the camp site, so there was just a little more climbing to be done.

I've put in 200 mile days and not felt as spent as I did - I need a vacation...

Len J
09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
a neighbor and his friends, who had just gotten into road riding, asked me to ride with them on Sat mornings & "help them out" as they prepared for a metric century later in Sept. Yesterday, 6 of them and I did a 48 mile ride. It was a ball......they were so excited. I've been showing them pacelining technique, position etc....but striving to keep it fun. They love being pulled at speed for a short distance! They keep apologizing for "holding me up" and I keep thanking them for reenergizing my riding and reminding me how much fun it can be.

This morning, I did eth local fast ride. I cut off and did 40 & got home and scored some points with the mrs, while the big boys di 55 or so. sspeilman got frisky early just to wake us all up! :rolleyes:

Al in all a great weekend.

len

StephenCL
09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
So.....I have spent the last 5 months getting ready for Lotoja. For those unfamiliar it is the longest USCF event at 206miles from Logan Utah to Jackson Hole Wyoming. It is a stellar race with breathtaking views and about 6500 feet of vertical over three passes with the highest pass at just over 7600feet.

I live in Virginia, but spent 10 days acclimating in Utah and have been climbing in Utah and Northern California to prepare..now the Tubular part.

Last Saturday on my last big training ride before the race I flatted a front veloflex carbon at 54miles, a small thorn was removed, and Tufo tire sealant was applied later in the next week. Of course my trusty spare VittoriaCX (yes the very same that was folded into that little rectangular object and wrapped with a rubber band some 5 years ago) at least held air long enough to get me to my planned lunch destination at 72miles. However, the vittoria lost enough air to call it a day.

Fast forward to yesterday. At mile 11 of 206 my rear Veloflex Carbon exploded at 26mph. My now trusty repaired veloflex carbon from the week before was fitted in less than 3 min and I was off.

To make a long story short and sad. My reparied veloflex did not hold up and I lost pressure at the 49mile mark in the only "NO RIDER SUPPORT VEHICLE" section of the race. A race support vehicle pulled up and offered a new tire, of course it was a clincher. In the end, my day was over. Thousands of dollars and months of preparation flashed before my eyes.

Of course, this was my fault. I should have replaced both tires with new ones just prior to the race. I should have also packed a brand new spare as my fall back.

But that is my ride story for the weekend. Sad, but true.

Stephen

barry1021
09-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Today-first time, excellent ride. It is flattish but there are gentle upgrades of course-It is NE. 5:45, avg speed 17.3mph and finished strong. I was pleased.

b21

Erik.Lazdins
09-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Saturday rode 2 1/2 hours in the remnants of a tropical system - Tulsa got 6 inches of rain yesterday.
I had a blast!

jwb96
09-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Did the White Mountain Century on Saturday. The route got cut short by 5 miles dues to one road that was in poor condition. Luckily, I had already biked 9 miles to the start and about 6 more at the end until my ride arrived, so about 110 in all so I can say I did the century. First of this year. Last hill (Kanc from Lincoln) almost did me in, but otherwise rode strong. Great roads, great ride. But too darn hot! Pushing 90 most of the day. Arg.

Elefantino
09-09-2007, 06:01 PM
PS. The bike came with a blank headtube without any decal. Been thinking what I want to stick on it, other than a Serotta label. Any suggestion on a cool-lookin' graphic? :D

Easy!

:banana:

C5 Snowboarder
09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Did the Windy Ridge ride up Mt St Helens - 54 miles

justinf
09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Mountain biking in Estes Park, Chapel Hill NC. God's country for hours, 85' and gorgeous. Not much to complain about. . .

pbbob
09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
rode 100 miles in delaware on Sat.
Early on it seemed there were a large number of riders trying to win a darwin award by blatantly disregarding all traffic laws and completely ignoring all rules of common sense on a bike.
15 miles in a couple down in an intersection, but they get up and go on.
19 miles in and there is a big accident. 1 rider unconscious in the dirt on the opposite lane. It didn't look good. I don't know if he survived. I believe his name is craig.
So this put a damper on an otherwise unremarkable hot breezy ride on the eastern shore of maryland and delaware.

djg
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Short and sweet. Saturday was busy, but I did an easy 20 or so in Rock Creek park, mostly spinning an easy gear, but there's a little hill loop (up to the nature center for locals) -- it's nobody's idea of a major climb, but it was a nice place to throw in a bit of work so I did it a couple of times. Nice and quiet.

I did a short ride with my 10 year-old today on her tiny little road bike. It's great to hear her laugh and tell me how much fun she's having.

myette10
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Saturday was a tempo ride to cap off a rest week: 2 hours at 210-250 watts. Course was the usual backroads in and around the beautiful and scenic Blackstone Valley of central Massachusetts. I even dipped into my home state of RI for a few kilometers. My leggies were sore today even though the effort wasn't that bad.

sjbraun
09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Cool and dry Sat morning, led a dozen pals on a 40 mile jaunt south of Tucson.
Sunday, warmer and humid. The plan was to ride to the base of Mt Lemmon, those with time issues could turn back there, anyone who wanted to ride up could go as far as they wished. My goal (climbing for 2 hrs, gotta get ready for the Moab Century Tour in a few weeks) was quickly hit with a vicious dose of reality once we started climbing:too dang hot. Pretty much everyone agreed, so after a short three mile climb we all turned back and meandered home for coffee.

davids
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Today-first time, excellent ride. It is flattish but there are gentle upgrades of course-It is NE. 5:45, avg speed 17.3mph and finished strong. I was pleased.

b21
Sorry I missed you!

Saturday - Saw The Golden Door in a theater and Hot Fuzz at home. Both excellent in their own ways, both surprisingly quirky and orginal. I was conserving my energy for today.

Sunday - I woke at 4:20 to rolling thunder - thunder that literally rumbled for minutes at a time. Then thunderclaps, lightning, and rain. But when I rolled out of bed at 5:30, the radar showed southern MA clear. By the time my friends picked me up at 6:00 the rain had stopped in Boston.

As I checked in, I ran into MilanoTom, who was riding his new Palasanto, but didn't have it with him at the time. Despite keeping my eye out for him all day, I never saw him again, and never saw the Palasanto at all... :(

I rode with a rotating group of friends, 3-5 of us depending on the leg. The weather held, and we finished TFCE after 103 miles, averaging 18.2 mph.

I saw a number of nice bikes, the best of which were a cream & pastel Waterford, a Calfee tandem with a set of Zipp 404s, and a golden yellow IF Ti Crown Jewel with White panels...

A lovely day!

oldmill
09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I did the Civil War Century Saturday, fromThurmont, MD. The last 20 miles was a struggle in the heat, but the scenery was gorgeous and there were a lot of friendly souls along the way. I looked for Smiley but he apparently got up early and rode fast. I did neither. Today I rode the fixie to work to stretch out the legs.

Fixed
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
bro nothing like a little fixed gear ride to loosen up imho
cheers

boy you cat's are all in shape i'll be ready for the winter championships at the rate i'm goin /..i konw i can't rush fitness ..i've not showed up for group rides yet .i don't want to be seen in this shape ..i'm Guilty of Pride but i'm workin on it .......maybe a beard will help

DarrenCT
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Saturday - 50miles in WoodStock, NY. This place is f'ed up. Everyone is from the 60's!

Sunday - 30mile easy spin on my Richard Sachs. Why don't I just have this 1 bike?

Fat Robert
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
same ride yesterday and today:

15 min warm up

put in the 53x16, get in the drops, keep it 95-105rpm for 40 min.

ride 10 min easy to my house.

short and to the point.

chuckroast
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Yesterday, we took a non riding couple who are friends of ours, and their flat barred "hybrids" to Rocheport, Mo and did 32 miles on the most scenic part of the KATY trail, a rails to trails conversion that crosses the state east to west. Although it was dusty, and trashed our road tandem, we all had a great time in nearly perfect weather. If only it had been October with leaves ablaze. At any rate, they were stoked seeing my wife and I on decent equipment and by the end they were talking about getting themselves road bikes. We might have recruited new blood.

Wayne77
09-09-2007, 09:37 PM
That must have been heartbreaking - I feel for ya. There is so much prep that goes into this race. I did the Lotoja yesterday as well. I'm pretty new with the racing thing so I registered as Cat5 and started in pack 19, #6007. I had good luck for all 206 miles, with no flats and no mechanicals, finishing in a modest 11:40 (11:01 actual riding time). My heart goes out equally to the lonely souls I spotted while driving back to SLC at 10 PM, still trying to finish, with their loved ones in their support vehicles behind them, headlights showing the way. Regardless of whatever fitness or mechanical challenges they had, they plowed on, determined to finish, knowing they wouldn't get an official finish time since the course had been closed since 8PM. That is pure guts and my hat goes off to them.

Can you believe the two guys that finished 1 and 2??!! They are 47 and 48 years old and beat the course record by nine minutes, knocking the socks off all the young cat1's and 2's. I wonder if the longer distance favors someone with more experience and more miles in their legs.. Anyway, They crossed the line together in 9:06.44, separated by 39 one-thousandths of a second in a sprint finish.

Anyone who is not familiar with this race should take a second look - the organization is excellent, the scenery (especially once you ride through snake river canyon) is beautiful, and it's a challenging course with 3 mountain passes.

Anyway, are you going to register for next year? If so, best of luck!

Wayne

So.....I have spent the last 5 months getting ready for Lotoja. For those unfamiliar it is the longest USCF event at 206miles from Logan Utah to Jackson Hole Wyoming. It is a stellar race with breathtaking views and about 6500 feet of vertical over three passes with the highest pass at just over 7600feet.

I live in Virginia, but spent 10 days acclimating in Utah and have been climbing in Utah and Northern California to prepare..now the Tubular part.

Last Saturday on my last big training ride before the race I flatted a front veloflex carbon at 54miles, a small thorn was removed, and Tufo tire sealant was applied later in the next week. Of course my trusty spare VittoriaCX (yes the very same that was folded into that little rectangular object and wrapped with a rubber band some 5 years ago) at least held air long enough to get me to my planned lunch destination at 72miles. However, the vittoria lost enough air to call it a day.

Fast forward to yesterday. At mile 11 of 206 my rear Veloflex Carbon exploded at 26mph. My now trusty repaired veloflex carbon from the week before was fitted in less than 3 min and I was off.

To make a long story short and sad. My reparied veloflex did not hold up and I lost pressure at the 49mile mark in the only "NO RIDER SUPPORT VEHICLE" section of the race. A race support vehicle pulled up and offered a new tire, of course it was a clincher. In the end, my day was over. Thousands of dollars and months of preparation flashed before my eyes.

Of course, this was my fault. I should have replaced both tires with new ones just prior to the race. I should have also packed a brand new spare as my fall back.

But that is my ride story for the weekend. Sad, but true.

Stephen

TriJim
09-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Joined several thousand for the annual ride around Lake Constance (Bodensee). (http://www.bodensee-radmarathon.ch/index.do) 220 km including sections in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Great weather for the second year in a row -- this one is usually cold and rainy. :beer:

Birddog
09-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Saturday I did my 12th Enchanted Circle Century in Northern NM. The weather was about as good as I've ever seen it, really gorgeous. I was less so. Whatever was making me feel sluggish on the bike didn't affect my ability to pound the brewskis after the ride. This morning (Sunday), I did 30 coolish miles with a friend in an overcast high mountain mist. It was really quite relaxing /refreshing.

Birddog

Brons2
09-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Saturday: Rode from my house to the tailgate. So nice not to have to worry about parking. Rode back home after the game. Total 16 miles :D

Sunday: Had big plans to do about 50 but I ended up being up most of the night Saturday night so that didn't happen :D

p.s., thanks jen! ;)

Lifelover
09-10-2007, 05:14 AM
20+ Miles by myself to the beach and back.

Tom
09-10-2007, 05:18 AM
- Saturday worked 8-5 disaster recovery test.
- Saturday night worked 9-3 piggybacking on the disaster recovery test. (Good place to try new stuff - you can't break anything that matters once the certification stuff is done)
- Sunday worked 10-3 on the dr test...

Went to the store and bought food. Cooked shrimp in olive oil, garlic, paprika and cumin. Ate it over rice. Had a green salad with it. Last and not least, had some good malbec with it. Yum.

Today I ride again.

barry1021
09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry I missed you!

Saturday - Saw The Golden Door in a theater and Hot Fuzz at home. Both excellent in their own ways, both surprisingly quirky and orginal. I was conserving my energy for today.

Sunday - I woke at 4:20 to rolling thunder - thunder that literally rumbled for minutes at a time. Then thunderclaps, lightning, and rain. But when I rolled out of bed at 5:30, the radar showed southern MA clear. By the time my friends picked me up at 6:00 the rain had stopped in Boston.

As I checked in, I ran into MilanoTom, who was riding his new Palasanto, but didn't have it with him at the time. Despite keeping my eye out for him all day, I never saw him again, and never saw the Palasanto at all... :(

I rode with a rotating group of friends, 3-5 of us depending on the leg. The weather held, and we finished TFCE after 103 miles, averaging 18.2 mph.

I saw a number of nice bikes, the best of which were a cream & pastel Waterford, a Calfee tandem with a set of Zipp 404s, and a golden yellow IF Ti Crown Jewel with White panels...

A lovely day!

My two favorite bikes were a Rivendell Atlantis, which is even prettier in person than on the web site, and a custom Ti by a Pennsy builder (five??) that was drop dead gorgeous, gently curved seats stays that really looked nice-one of the nicest Ti bikes that I have seen.

b21

davids
09-10-2007, 10:56 AM
My two favorite bikes were a Rivendell Atlantis, which is even prettier in person than on the web site, and a custom Ti by a Pennsy builder (five??) that was drop dead gorgeous, gently curved seats stays that really looked nice-one of the nicest Ti bikes that I have seen.

b21
I saw the Atlantis (I had seen a whole bunch of Riv's the day before, browsing at Harris Cyclery before going to the movie...) I saw a few full-Ti bikes with rare (e.g. Lynskey) or unknown makers - didn't notice the stays, though.

I did see a good number of Serottas, including a very pretty sky blue Concours (I think) with red & white decals. I was riding my Nove. What were you on?

barry1021
09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I saw the Atlantis (I had seen a whole bunch of Riv's the day before, browsing at Harris Cyclery before going to the movie...) I saw a few full-Ti bikes with rare (e.g. Lynskey) or unknown makers - didn't notice the stays, though.

I did see a good number of Serottas, including a very pretty sky blue Concours (I think) with red & white decals. I was riding my Nove. What were you on?

I was on my red Fierte, which did it's second and last century for me. Bought the frame on EBAY, built it up, rode it this year, and am selling to a neighbor getting back into riding.

b21

Skrawny
09-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Saturday: Got Trigger back Friday from a full tune-up with new chain & cassette. Had to work on Sat, so a buddy and I rode a quick and enjoyable 40miles around Tiburon. The ride was fantastic and the guys at my LBS did a great job with my bike.

Sunday: Awoke ready for a long ride. Before I even got changed, felt the worst pain in my life in my left groin radiating to my lower abdomen and accompanied by vomiting. Called a urologist friend who confirmed my fear: testicular torsion. Now I know what 10 out of 10 pain feels like. Went to emergency surgery within the hour. Now I'm doped up, the boys are in a sling, getting intermittently iced & I don't know how long before I can ride again.

The urologist (who happens to ride an Ottrott) assures me this has nothing to do with cycling.

The beginning of this year I had dreams of bike racing. So far this year I have had my arm in a cast, my mother diagnosed and eventually succumb to lung cancer, and almost lost a testicle. Now I just want to survive the last few months of '07!

(sorry if this was TMI)

-s

davids
09-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I was on my red Fierte, which did it's second and last century for me. Bought the frame on EBAY, built it up, rode it this year, and am selling to a neighbor getting back into riding.

b21
I think I saw you & your bike at the Tiverton rest stop.

a100mark
09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Completed my first century on Saturday, without training for it. Ride time was just over 6:00 hours at an average speed of 16.2. Earned a patch I proud of!

Fixed
09-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Saturday: Got Trigger back Friday from a full tune-up with new chain & cassette. Had to work on Sat, so a buddy and I rode a quick and enjoyable 40miles around Tiburon. The ride was fantastic and the guys at my LBS did a great job with my bike.

Sunday: Awoke ready for a long ride. Before I even got changed, felt the worst pain in my life in my left groin radiating to my lower abdomen and accompanied by vomiting. Called a urologist friend who confirmed my fear: testicular torsion. Now I know what 10 out of 10 pain feels like. Went to emergency surgery within the hour. Now I'm doped up, the boys are in a sling, getting intermittently iced & I don't know how long before I can ride again.

The urologist (who happens to ride an Ottrott) assures me this has nothing to do with cycling.

The beginning of this year I had dreams of bike racing. So far this year I have had my arm in a cast, my mother diagnosed and eventually succumb to lung cancer, and almost lost a testicle. Now I just want to survive the last few months of '07!

(sorry if this was TMI)

-s
you'll be back bro I'm very glad you are going to be okay
cheers

Bruce K
09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Sunflower Revolution Weekend in Cincinnati.

Saturday did 35 social miles with CinciJim and a few freinds with coffee and a cookie at the turn-around.

Sunday, started with the 100K group and hung on as long as I could (2 small mechaniclas made it even shorter) and then shortcut back to ride start to join Davis Phinney for the 40K ride. I got a chance to ride with bhungerford and his Dad, who had unfortunatley crashed on the way back. Then 25 nice miles with Davis, Dr. Tew from the NEuroscience Institute, and some other folks. Total of 47 miles.

I then met up with Jim and freinds at the post-ride bash and then Mexican for dinner.

Boy is Ohio HUMID !!! :rolleyes: :D

BK

swoop
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
nothing better than taking a twenty something cocky cat 2 who's trying to beg for a 1 upgrade with a letter (***?) and dropping him on climb (when he tried to push it first) to remind him that old 3's still can rock.

it may be off season and i may not race anymore next year.. but i'm still a hater and it can feel good.

TiGuy
09-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Took a nice, rolling 30 mile ride, but about half way through, I felt really slow. On some of those hills, I was dragging my butt up, using about two gears lower than usual. Bad day I guess...

Then a guy on a Serotta passed me. He didn't look very fast, but I couldn't stay with him. Finally, I took a look back at my rear wheel. I had busted a spoke, the wheel was out of true, and probably for the last 12 miles or so, it had been rubbing on one of the brake pads -- really hard. (In hindsight, I do recall hearing a "pop." Thought I had just kicked up a pebble...)

So, which of you guys was out on Beach Road in Troy on Saturday morning, and either didn't notice -- or didn't care -- about that wobby wheel on my Concours. C'mon guys. Let's pay attention! :no:

Just another reason to like my Record/Open Pro 32-spoke wheels. With boutique, 16 spoke wheels, I would have been walking home.