PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a cheap(er) fixed gear frame

sbornia
09-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Howdy,

Anyone have experience riding an EAI Bareknuckle or Bob Jackson Vigorelli?

I've been squirreling away parts for a fixed gear training bike, and have been considering these two frames. Trying to keep the project on a budget, but not so cheap that I get upgrade fever in a year. I plan to use the bike for 15- to 25-mile hilly rides. Plus some flat stretches along the Berkeley waterfront, the only ones we really have. Both stock geometries would fit me well, but there are some pros and cons to each frameset:

Bareknuckle
Pros - $600, available locally, lets me use the stem and HS I already have
Cons - angles more for track, ugly fork, so-so colors

Bob Jackson
Pros - pretty frame and fork, great colors, better suited to road riding
Cons - $800 plus import duties, have to buy new stem and HS

I've also considered some of the $300-$400 frames available from Surly, Soma, etc., but the TT and HT lengths don't really work for me. The Bareknuckle is more practical than the Vigorelli, but I'm not sure how the 74* seat tube and 75* head tube will impact the riding I'll be doing.

What do you think?

SB

shoe
09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
jackson....

justinf
09-09-2007, 02:43 PM
yeah, jackson.

Fixed
09-09-2007, 02:47 PM
bro sounds like you have your mind made up already ...jackson
get the one you like .
cheers

hansolo758
09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
why not try Surly, Soma, IRO or Pake? Bianchi sells a complete bike, the San Jose, with flip-flop hub and fixed/freewheel for $599 MSRP.

Smiley
09-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Howdy,

Anyone have experience riding an EAI Bareknuckle or Bob Jackson Vigorelli?

I've been squirreling away parts for a fixed gear training bike, and have been considering these two frames. Trying to keep the project on a budget, but not so cheap that I get upgrade fever in a year. I plan to use the bike for 15- to 25-mile hilly rides. Plus some flat stretches along the Berkeley waterfront, the only ones we really have. Both stock geometries would fit me well, but there are some pros and cons to each frameset:

Bareknuckle
Pros - $600, available locally, lets me use the stem and HS I already have
Cons - angles more for track, ugly fork, so-so colors

Bob Jackson
Pros - pretty frame and fork, great colors, better suited to road riding
Cons - $800 plus import duties, have to buy new stem and HS

I've also considered some of the $300-$400 frames available from Surly, Soma, etc., but the TT and HT lengths don't really work for me. The Bareknuckle is more practical than the Vigorelli, but I'm not sure how the 74* seat tube and 75* head tube will impact the riding I'll be doing.

What do you think?

SB
Kogswell P/R , if that don't work nothing will www.kogswell.com

shanerpvt
09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Kogswell P/R , if that don't work nothing will www.kogswell.com

this looks SWEET.