PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Saddles

onekgguy
09-09-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm currently using an Arione saddle which has about 10,000 miles on it. The leather is beginning to release from the saddle as I went a bit too heavy on the Bag Balm this season. I've heard nothing but raving reviews about Brooks saddles. I'd appreciate opinions pro and con about Brooks saddles and why I should consider buying one (or not) to replace my Arione. Thanks much.

Kevin g

jh4rt
09-09-2007, 02:19 AM
but if you have 10k miles on a type of saddle and love it, why would you switch?

wasfast
09-09-2007, 08:37 AM
The biggest con for me is that I live where it rains 9 months of the year. Very wet + leather isn't a good combination. They also run heavy compared to most synthetic saddles.

However, the upsides are that many riders find them very comfortable after the break in period. Also, the weight difference has almost no impact on actual ride performance plus it's nothing compared to being comfortable.

scrooge
09-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Con: They can be a pit tricky to set up at times (but so can an Arione, in my experience).

dave thompson
09-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Saddles are very personal and a Brooks may not be the one for you. That said, I have Brooks on all my bikes. Riding for years in pain, trying many different saddles, I tried a Brooks and it was love at first sit. The saddle no longer was the factor in how long I could ride.

The is a wide variety of Brooks, sizes and shapes, and there may be one perfect for you. I suggest you contact Bill Laine at Wallinford bikes http://www.wallbike.com/ to discuss your saddle needs. Wallingford has a generous saddle return policy which should make your experience trying a Brooks very pleasurable

Ken Robb
09-09-2007, 09:33 AM
If you search the archives here you will find LOTS of info on Brooks. FWIW, my favorite saddles are B-17 and Arione--what a surprise as they look so different.

ti_boi
09-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Saddles are very personal and a Brooks may not be the one for you. That said, I have Brooks on all my bikes. Riding for years in pain, trying many different saddles, I tried a Brooks and it was love at first sit. The saddle no longer was the factor in how long I could ride.

The is a wide variety of Brooks, sizes and shapes, and there may be one perfect for you. I suggest you contact Bill Laine at Wallinford bikes http://www.wallbike.com/ to discuss your saddle needs. Wallingford has a generous saddle return policy which should make your experience trying a Brooks very pleasurable

Dave, I would hang that picture on my wall as art.....seriously.

CNY rider
09-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm currently using an Arione saddle which has about 10,000 miles on it. The leather is beginning to release from the saddle as I went a bit too heavy on the Bag Balm this season. I've heard nothing but raving reviews about Brooks saddles. I'd appreciate opinions pro and con about Brooks saddles and why I should consider buying one (or not) to replace my Arione. Thanks much.

Kevin g

So.....where exactly are you putting all this Bag Balm? :confused:
A little goes a long way

ti_boi
09-09-2007, 09:43 AM
A little goes a long way

On his bag....no doubt...DUH!!! :rolleyes:

Polyglot
09-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Back in the 70's and 80's, I used to sell many Brooks saddles. It was almost always a love/hate situation. Very few riders were neutral in their evaluation of the saddles. It seemed that the heavier the rider, the greater the chance that they would like Brooks saddles. Conversely, I found that most lightweight riders did not appreciate them much.

The biggest advantage that I find personally is that they tend to be cooler on the cratch than most plastic or carbon fiber based saddles, so if you have heat issues, they are perhaps what you want. Among the disadvantages, you can list the weight (this is however relative as stated above), more finnecky with rain saturation (again relative) and the fact that the saddle will change with time meaning that there is a time when it will fit better or worse during its useful life.

onekgguy
09-09-2007, 11:23 AM
A little goes a long way

I'd been using the same amount that I used when the cream of choice was chamois butter. The bag balm seems to work its way through my shorts and into the leather of my seat much more than the chamois butter does. Yes, a little goes a long way...I know that now. :)

Kevin g