PDA

View Full Version : Cross newby questions

JP_Smith
09-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi gang, searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to this.

I don't currently have a racing license (did b4 kids). I've had a cross bike for a couple of years as a winter training bike. I'm fit this year and proficient at mounts/dismounts.

Anyway, thinking of racing this season and am wondering about categories. Can an unlicensed racer show up to a race and race B's, or do you have to have a road license? Will I have to waste some time/money racing C's before they'll let me race B's?

JP_Smith
09-08-2007, 08:25 PM
another unrelated question.

Why do most all cross bikes have TT cable routing?

It seems to me as an engineer that DT routing would actually be better for muddy conditions as gravity would drain muck away from the rear housing loop (as well as providing better shifting in dry conditions). While TT routing would be better only in freezing/icy conditions when the conditions can freeze the cable to the housing? Do some of the builders here spec different cable routing based on the geographic region the frame will be raced in?

Thanks-JP

zank
09-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi JP,
Welcome to the forum and to cross!

Depending on your region, you can usually show up, get a one day license and race Bs. In the Northeast, the smaller B races are now 3/4 races while the Verge series B races are now 2/3 races. So you would need a cat 3 license to race the old B race. If you have a few good finishes in the local 3/4 races, your officials will probably give you a 3 upgrade pretty quickly.

I prefer TT routing because when it gets cold, the cables running under the BB shell tend to freeze up. And, it is usually the bottom half of the bike that gets all mucked up. But, we're kind of splitting hairs really. They both work well. I just like the way TT routing looks!

DfCas
09-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't like feeling the cables when I grab the downtube,and it also scratches the paint and that bothers me.

You can do sevral months of riding/racing on a tt mounted rear der cable/housing,and it slowly goes away.A downtube routed bike may not work the first time if you hit the right combo of mud/snow/ice or temps.

That said,my current bike is downtube routed. :crap: