PDA

View Full Version : Why do people ignore dirt racers?

Dave B
09-08-2007, 04:14 PM
I will be honest to say that road racing attracts a larger crowd then a mountain bike race. I am not complaining that mtb-ing especially racing is as physically difficult as some road races are....However I wonder why constant winners of important races are never accused of doping. I think i remember Phlipe Merhage (hell I don't know how to spell his name) being busted and so forth. But every time I look up results for XC world championships I see Julian A on top of the podium.

So a couple of questions.

Does nobody care about mtb races and racers that no one ever seems to probe into why certain people always win?

Is it just because he only rides these types of events. His training is so that he peaks for these races?

Are these racers anywhere near as good as some of the road riders?

I love mtb-ing, and dream about it daily.

I guess I just don't know why people seem to ignore the sport. I have no problem with Julien winning, good for him. But when is an American going to kick his arse?

I guess that was a pretty crazy thought process and I seem to be rambling, but i just do not get why mountain biking seems to be consistently or seemingly ignored. Anyway any thoughts on how anyone could would improve mountain biking exposure or coverage, I would love to hear it.

dauwhe
09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
The MTB racers are certainly as talented as the best road riders... just look at how the former MTB racers do in the pro peloton (Cadel Evans, Rasmussen, Landis).

For me, road racing is more dramatic, as you watch the attacks from the lead group in the mountains of the Tour, or seeing the sprinters swamp a breakaway in sight of the line (and the history is so much richer). When I watch mountain biking, they ride single file down the trail; if I blink I might miss the moment when rider #7 passes rider#6.

Of course, my reactions are likely due to my ignorance of mountain bike racing. : )

Dave

pdonk
09-08-2007, 04:50 PM
I think part of the fun of watching pro level mountain biking, is having ridden the same course the pros are doing and seeing how effortlessly they seem to be able to clear sections. Also what can be wrong about spending a day in the woods with a flat of beer?

Also due to the "culture" of the sport, and especially in the early 90's the pros racing were so friendly, that you'd meet them for drinks and think of them as your buddy the next day.

In reading today's updates from the women's elite race, it sounded pretty exciting and like it was good racing.

Seeing Marie Helene Premont do well at Mte Ste Anne creates an atmosphere that is unexplainable and needs to be experienced.

As for drug testing, so far 2 people have been declared unfit to race, inlcuding a favourite who dislikes travelling and lives in Spain. :rolleyes:

imp25rs
09-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Mountain bike racing is not as good for television. With MTB racing you only get cameras at a few places along the track and watch people go by one by one. You have to wait until they pass another camera to see if someone past someone else. With road racing the cameras are constantly watching the race so you see everything that happens.

I think there are two possibilities with the doping charges. First, (and in my opinion most likely) there seems to be a different atmosphere around MTB racing where the riders are more laid back and it just isn't as big of a problem. Second is since there isn't as much coverage.

L84dinr
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Dirt is for potatoes*

rtp

*one of the best bumper stickers ever produced. saw it at a motorcycle road race long time ago, stuck with me.