PDA

View Full Version : Using 700c instead of 27 inch wheels ?

tbushnel
09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I haven't searched for previous discussions about this, so forgive me if this is redundant (seems like I recall this coming up). Anyway, I will be acquiring an old touring bike which I plan on using mostly for bad weather commuting for now. It has 27 inch wheels that I am happy to use. I was just wondering if I decide to get generator hubs of something if I could build up 700c wheels instead since rim choices are so much better (although Sheldon Brown has some neat options).

anyway, with long-reach brakes (which it may already have) can I do it? :banana: :banana:

Ted.

palincss
09-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I haven't searched for previous discussions about this, so forgive me if this is redundant (seems like I recall this coming up). Anyway, I will be acquiring an old touring bike which I plan on using mostly for bad weather commuting for now. It has 27 inch wheels that I am happy to use. I was just wondering if I decide to get generator hubs of something if I could build up 700c wheels instead since rim choices are so much better (although Sheldon Brown has some neat options).

anyway, with long-reach brakes (which it may already have) can I do it? :banana: :banana:

Ted.

The 27" is a 630, the 700C is a 622. There's a 4mm difference in radius, the 700C being smaller. Do you have 4mm more vertical adjustment in your brake blocks? If so, no problem, just adjust the brake blocks downward. If you are already at the bottom of the slot, you'll need either a drop bolt or brakes with longer reach.

PaulE
09-07-2007, 11:02 AM
but it seems to me it may depend on the specific frame and brakes. I also recall reading posts about converting bikes from 27 inches to 700c. Assuming this bike has a front quick release, and that you already own at least one other bike with 700c wheels, can you do a quick swap of your front 700c wheel onto this bike and see if it works? Based on how the 700c front wheel lines up with the brake pads, you should be able to eyeball whether or not the rear brake will work.

dwightskin
09-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I've done this on a Fuji with longish reach breaks. Worked great. But it's a little sketchy if you've got cantilever brakes because you can't move the pad enough or it changes the leverage.

Before building up wheels, I'd try with another set just to be sure. On my fuji, the rear brake pads were at the bottom of the slots . . .

If you keep the 27" two great tires are the Panaracer Paselas and Vittoria Zaffiros.

Kevan
09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
if yours can't make it. The nice thing about running 700's is you will expand your clearance for fatter rubber and/or fenders.

tbushnel
09-07-2007, 02:39 PM
thanks for the responses. I don't have the bike in my grubby hands yet, but I will this evening. I will try a test fit with 700c wheels. Fortunately, it has sidepull brakes so either way (new brakes or old) sounds like it will work out. :beer: :banana:
Thanks,
ted.

Dwightskin - thanks for the tire recs. If it all runs well as is I probably wont change anything for awhile (unless the rims don't have a hook edge).

fiamme red
09-07-2007, 02:47 PM
If you keep the 27" two great tires are the Panaracer Paselas and Vittoria Zaffiros.I also use 27" Pasela TG's on my commuter bike, and I'm very pleased with them.

hansolo758
09-07-2007, 02:47 PM
try Paul Racer brakes:

http://paulcomp.com/newracer.JPG

RACER BRAKE

The feel and power of the Racer brake is awesome! The mounting bosses on this brake are spread to 77mm and will take a wide tire or tire fender combo.

We are now making a center mount version in addition to th braze-on. Yes, we said in various publications we wouldn't do it, but now we've caved. This version comes in a front and rear. They are designed for recessed mounting holes in the seat stay bridge and fork. If you do not have these, longer mounting nuts are available.

Both versions come with all the necessary hardware: mounting bolts, straddle wires, and cable carriers. Available in black, silver and high polish.

Another neat thing about the Racer is that with these brakes you can use 700c wheels on that older but still nice frame that was originally designed for 27inch wheels. There are a lot of them out there, lugged and chromed. They also almost all have horizontal dropouts too so they can be used as single speeds or fixed gear bikes.