PDA

View Full Version : My Week in Tuscany

ThasFACE
09-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Some pictures. I am not what some would call 'good at taking pictures,' so this is basically the best of the lot. I also included a picture I took of myself with a dumb look on my face.

I am not sure of exactly what each shot is, but most of them are of the road to Suvereto (since apparently that was just about the only time I remembered to take some photos). There's a shot of the Via Aurelia and the approach to Zi Martino's in Castagnetto Carducci as well.

Hardlyrob
09-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Very cool - we were there last October - just beautiful countryside. But it is certainly a workout on the bike!

Cheers!

Rob

Steve Hampsten
09-06-2007, 07:15 PM
sigh...just lovely...

Coletta
09-06-2007, 10:26 PM
WOW! Looks like the trip of a lifetime!!Just beautiful!

Question? Did you ship your bike or rent? What kind of bike are you riding?

Kind regards,

Coletta

Kirk007
09-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow, I have some of those same shots for 1999. Brings back longings and happy memories of curves and and handmade tortelli in olive oil with fried sage leaves from Zi' Martino. Grandpa the pasta make, kneading dough on a daily basis, had the biggest hands I've ever seen!

rustychisel
09-06-2007, 11:48 PM
yeah, I got a picture quite like that, of me on the slopes of Ventoux.

:beer: [utilises the icon developed for Australian readers].

SayHey
09-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Those pictures bring back memories -- lovely countryside. We visited the Chianti region 2 years ago with our three teenage kids and had a wonderful time. We stayed in Castello di Volpaia, a small village up the hill from Radda in Chianti. Those villages are spectacular and have maintained their unique character. I had arranged to rent a bike for a week and remember the rides well. Part of what I remember is the bike was geared 52/42 with 11 or 12/23 in the back. In that hilly country, I got a "great" workout as Hardlyrob suggested. Thanks for surfacing the memories.

ThasFACE
09-06-2007, 11:55 PM
WOW! Looks like the trip of a lifetime!!Just beautiful!

Question? Did you ship your bike or rent? What kind of bike are you riding?

The trip definitely was great. The cycling was killer and Zi'Martino's is a wonderful place to stay.

I didn't want to deal with the hassle and risk of shipping, so I rented. I'm on a BMC slt01 right now, which I really like, but my week in Italy has me trying to think up ways to get my mitts on a c50.

don compton
09-07-2007, 12:06 AM
my wife and i have done two tours from z'martino (andy hampsten's cianghiale tours at the z'martino hotel in tuscany) and the ride from the hotel to suvereto and back is the most fantastic ride i have ever done. and the food at the z'martino hotel is unbelievable. on an off night on our trip we went up the hill to carducci and had a great dinner at a little restaurant. the next evening i noticed that the owner from the restaurant in carducci was eating at the z'martino restaurant. the food at z'martino is so good that all the locals go there. i am trying to figure when i can do another trip to that part of italy. its heaven for riding.
don compton

rbtmcardle
09-07-2007, 07:11 PM
sigh...just lovely...

exactly, nothing more need be said