PDA

View Full Version : Dumb headset question

Waldo
09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I have a frame with a threaded fork. Can I install a threadless headset and use a threadless stem with a threaded fork? (Yes, I know about stem adapters) Why or why not?

Hardlyrob
09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't think you'll have any steerer tube above the headset. They're all cut so that they end in the headset, and don't stick above it like the threadless steerers do.

I may be wrong, but I don't see a place you can attach a stem to a threaded steerer unless you use a quill stem.

Rob

Waldo
09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Actually, there's quite a bit of extra steerer on this fork. See the photo.

SoCalSteve
09-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Steerer tube above the top of the headtube? Where do the threads end?

Would you clamp the stem on the threaded part?

Just askin'

Steve

Waldo
09-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Steerer tube above the top of the headtube? Where do the threads end?

Would you clamp the stem on the threaded part?

Just askin'

Steve

Don't know. That's why I asked.

Too Tall
09-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I'll stick my neck out and say I've done it and do NOT recommend it...how is that for honest :rolleyes: Think of it this way...outside diameter consists of a reduced surface area compared to an unthreaded fork.

rustychisel
09-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I've thought about it and concluded it's a dumb idea, even for me. Buy a new fork, new headset and stem.

If you happen to have enough fork steerer tube above the head tube and bearing races it will almost certainly be threaded. So, maybe bulk it up with teflon plumbers tape... then try the stem. That would put the stem right where the threads can conveniently act as fracture points in the steerer, and without the benefit of the reinforcement provided by a quill stem inserted within the tube. In a highly stressed and mission critical area of the bicycle, and one which 'we' often do not inspect too often it all sounds a bit too much like a gamble.

But for the want of a nail...

Grant McLean
09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Actually, there's quite a bit of extra steerer on this fork. See the photo.

Hi Vlad,

You can use the fork, if you have enough space BELOW the threaded part of the steerer.
Calculate if it'll work by measuring:

Step 1: Measure the steerer from the top of the crown race to the lowest thread in mm's

Step 2: Subtract for the height of the headset + stem combined from the first measurement,
(about 25-27mm for headset plus another 35-40mm for ahead stem, 60-65mm)

Step 3: Subtract the length in mm's of the frame headtube from the remaining steerer
length from step 2

Step 4: If there's enough room, add the number of spacers you need to raise
the bars where you need them.

Example: if you have 200mm smooth steerer below the threaded portion
subtract 60mm for headset and stem you can have a headtube of 130mm
with enough room for 10mm of spacers. (or a 140mm headtube with no spacers)

-g

Louis
09-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Vlad,

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to use a quill stem?

Louis

victoryfactory
09-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Vlad;

If all you want is to use a "threadless" stem on your bike,
why not just install an adaptor on your existing setup and whack on
your new stem?

VF