PDA

View Full Version : Go Huskers!

Skrawny
09-06-2007, 01:23 PM
So the New York thing didn't work out.

I have accepted a fellowship position (cardiac electrophysiology) at University of Nebraska. The medical center is in Omaha, and I start in July of 2008.

Please someone out there tell me there is cycling in Omaha!
I am a hill climber in San Francisco about to be transplanted to what I picture as endless, FLAT, stretches of corn.

Any good bike stores out there, or will I have to ship Trigger back to SF for his twice yearly check-up?

-s

Serotta PETE
09-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Best of luck with the fellowship. I think that you will have a new meaning for COLD while there. With the hours you will be working, maybe you will not notice those COLD, SNOWY, days.... ;) ;)

You can come to NC for a winter break.

PETE

Kevan
09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
You're going to be Omaha's official fastest climber.

Chad Engle
09-06-2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.nebraskacyclingnews.com/

Check out the above link. It is geared mainly toward road riding. Plenty of mountain biking along river between Lincoln and Omaha. I believe Highgear in Omaha is the local serotta dealer. A few of the folks there used to be at my lbs in Lincoln. Good people. A few of them ended up at the Trek Store in Omaha as well.

Let me be the first to officially welcome you to Nebraska, WELCOME. Don't worry there is plenty of riding. Nebraska is only completely flat if you stay on the interstate, don't get me wrong, there aren't any mountains but you'll be alright.

:beer:

Giff
09-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Yes, there is cycling here in Omaha. MTB and Road. There are at least 4 good shops I can name off the top of my head. Bike Masters is one of the best. Small, but friendly and the manager has been in the biz for 20 years or so. They do a 40 mile Saturday ride. Bike Rack is bigger and well rounded. Highgeaer is a Serotta dealer and aims at high end stuff. However, I've found their customer service to be a bit lacking. They sales folks just lack personality. If I'd treated customers when I was with Richardson Bike Mart, I never would have put as many bikes out the door as I did. Highgear's sister store is the Trek Store. They also have a Serotta or two around, but they are mainly MTB folks and, again, customer service lacks.

While we don't have mountains, we do have pretty good rolling terrain, especially near the river in the bluffs. You'll also want to check out the Thursday evening Taco Rides in the summer/fall months. It's a 20 mile round trip on the Wabash Trace, a rails to trails across the river in Council Bluffs Iowa. On a typical night there are over 100 cyclists riding to this bar in a small town for drinks and tacos. One night I understand they went through 500 pounds of taco meat. Helmet and lights are HIGHLY recommended for this ride.

Welcome to Omaha!!!!

Giff

72gmc
09-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Been there once, Skrawny, to cover the public dismemberment of my Huskies by Frank Solich's Cornhuskers. I liked Omaha and Lincoln. Looked like nice riding country to me, more rolling than flat. On game day it was 110+, the stadium vendors ran out of water by halftime, and I saw several overheated people leave with EMTs. The local reporter next to me said it turns a full 180 in the winter and gets very cold. So, I recommend extra water bottle braze-ons and wool.

davids
09-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I met a wonderful older gentleman this summer who has spent most of his life in Omaha. He ran a restaurant & club there for many years.

He made it sound like a town that was nothing like my Eastern stereotype imagines an old city on the plains. He gave me the impression it's a small city with decent art, culture, and music, and with access to beautiful, rolling hills.

Congrats, and good luck!

Chris
09-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I am the psychologist at the Oklahoma Heart Hospital (the first all digital hospital in the nation :) ). A ton of the docs here are cyclist and quite avid. I keep telling em it's the new golf. We are building another heart hospital in the city here. If you are already thinking about where you eventually want to land and you have any interest in staying in the great plains, but with a little more temperate climate, let me know. Disclaimer: I am in no way the Human Resources department of our physicians group, but it never hurts to have an in. If you ever want to come down and check the place out, let me know and bring your bike...

wtex
09-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Kurt Anderson's take on it:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/travel/tmagazine/03talk.omaha.t.html (http://)

And Runzas, mmm, Runzas. Stick with the Regular and the Italian. Cheese Runzas? Not so great.

Skrawny
09-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks!
-s

soulspinner
09-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Congrats on a great acheivement, no matter where you live.