PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Tubular -- Label Placement

D-Squared
09-06-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm confused. For proper tread direction I thought the label of a tubular should be on the drive side of the wheel. But on my new GP 4000 tubulars there is a label on both sides of the tire. The only difference is that on one side the label has the tire pressure. Can I assume the label with the tire pressure should be on the drive side?
thanks,
Dave Davies

Too Tall
09-06-2007, 07:01 AM
It does not matter unless we are talking about tyres that are infact directional. These Conti tubulars are not.

Say? Have I mentioned that you appear to be a very intelligent and discerning person?

D-Squared
09-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Well...can't be too intelligent or discerning if I can't tell the tires can go on either way.

Thanks for answering my question.

Too Tall
09-06-2007, 07:22 AM
YES YOU ARE you tubular tyre riding guy you :)

Fixed
09-06-2007, 08:01 AM
bro are you related to ray ?
cheers
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/05/davies.shot/index.html

MilanoTom
09-06-2007, 08:11 AM
The clincher GP4000 has a directional arrow on the sidewall (although I doubt it makes a whole heck of a lot of difference). You might want to double check to make sure it isn't on the tubular as well. It was small and might have only been on one sidewall (I'm at the office and can't check right now) and I didn't notice it when I was mounting the clinchers. Of course, my incredible instincts (a.k.a. dumb luck) caused me to mount them correctly the first time.

Regards.
Tom

Too Tall
09-06-2007, 08:45 AM
in theory that is a pic of the tubular but these advertising dewd you never know. It does not appear to be directional.

MilanoTom
09-06-2007, 11:18 AM
If you look at the top drawing, the two triangular-shaped tread patterns have slightly different angles - the one on the left is slanted more. As mentioned in my original post, I doubt that it would make a difference, but be that as it may, the pattern is similar to that on the clincher, and the clincher has a directional arrow.

After Dave looks at his tires again, he can let us know what he sees.

Thanks
Tom

D-Squared
09-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I'll check when I get home...I'm using TUFO extreme tape and I had a heck of a time removing my last tubular from the extreme tape and didn't want to screw it up and have to take it off.

CalfeeFly
09-06-2007, 04:18 PM
I ride the 4000 clincher and the directional arrow is very easy to miss. I believe also it is only on one side. Since it is black on black you could miss it the first time or so even if you are looking for it.

D-Squared
09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
it must be easy to miss. I just looked carefully for it and didn't see it. From the pictures above would you say that is the forward direction for the tire?
thanks,
Dave

Too Tall
09-06-2007, 06:55 PM
it must be easy to miss. I just looked carefully for it and didn't see it. From the pictures above would you say that is the forward direction for the tire?
thanks,
Dave

Yes and no. Seriously.

D-Squared
09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
A little confused by your reply. Just so I'm clear...in the top picture of the tire the forward direction is to the right correct?
thanks,
Dave

Too Tall
09-07-2007, 08:34 AM
D-sq - I believe Tom was just pointing out that the tyre patterns are diff. and did not indicate which was the "forward" pattern...they are not bookmatched. My comment was sarcastic in nature...I really do not believe it could make one hoot of a diff. which way they are oriented. Solly for the confusion...check is in the mail ;)

MilanoTom
09-07-2007, 08:55 AM
D-sq - I believe Tom was just pointing out that the tyre patterns are diff. and did not indicate which was the "forward" pattern...they are not bookmatched. My comment was sarcastic in nature...I really do not believe it could make one hoot of a diff. which way they are oriented. Solly for the confusion...check is in the mail ;)

I don't think it makes a difference either. If it matters, I'll check my clinchers when I get home and see how the pattern matches to the photo. When I noticed the arrow, I checked for curiosity's sake to see if I'd mounted them (on two wheelsets) correctly. I wouldn't have remounted any of them, had any been backwards. On second thought, I can get pretty wierd about this stuff.... maybe I would have. That must be why I use the Competition and Sprinter tubulars.... I can't mount them backwards.

Regards.
Tom

MilanoTom
09-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Based on the directional arrow that's molded into the side wall of the clinchers, the two illustrated tires should be rolling to the left.

D-Squared
09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Sorry for all the trouble but thanks for checking. There definitely isn't an arrow on my tubular. I took a flashlight to it and check several times. But if you put the side with the molded letters on the drive side then it is going in the direction you said.
thanks,
Dave

MilanoTom
09-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Sorry for all the trouble but thanks for checking. There definitely isn't an arrow on my tubular. I took a flashlight to it and check several times. But if you put the side with the molded letters on the drive side then it is going in the direction you said.
thanks,
Dave

It's no trouble at all. It's good for my ego to feel as though I can contribute something (even if not particularly earth-shaking) once in a while.

Enjoy your tires.
Tom

sspielman
09-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Directional treads on bicycle tires are a joke....that is why only less serious products (read that clinchers) will be offered with them. A tubular should be mounted with its label facing toward the drivetrain side of the bike. Always. No exceptions. Ever. That will be $50. (Sorry for horning in on your hustle, Steve P.)

MilanoTom
09-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Directional treads on bicycle tires are a joke....that is why only less serious products (read that clinchers) will be offered with them. A tubular should be mounted with its label facing toward the drivetrain side of the bike. Always. No exceptions. Ever. That will be $50. (Sorry for horning in on your hustle, Steve P.)

I guess you didn't read the rest of the posts. There are labels on both sides of the tire, and we all agreed that the directional tread serves no purpose.

Wait a minute... sorry, I was a little slow there. I didn't realize that you were purposely trying to sound (read?) like a pompous windbag.

Regards.
Tom