PDA

View Full Version : I need some hip flexor help

jwb96
09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
After a summer of mostly neglecting to stretch, my hip flexors are acting up and are incredibly tight. I know this is a common ailment, so I'm hoping some of you out there have some good advice, tips or resources to share to help me get them back into shape.

Oh, and quickly, if possible. Is there a crash course in increasing flexibility? Doing a mountainous century on Saturday so anything I can do to help between now and then is a bonus.

Many thanks,
Jim

ti_boi
09-05-2007, 06:01 PM
A Yoga stretch...Flat on your back....grab your knee pull it into your chest....and gently and slowly pull it across and down -- release and repeat. Breathe.

thejen12
09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
This might sound dumb, but I used to get terrible hip flexor pain when snowshoeing. I went to a podiatrist (for another reason) and he told me to do lots of calf stretches. A set of five 30-second stretches for each calf, alternating (that's ten 30-second stretches), twice a day.

I did it religiously for about 3 weeks and it cleared up my hip flexor problem and lower back problem! After that, I was able to tell when the calf stretches weren't helping so much any more, because I was now more flexible. I still stretch my calves here and there during the day, but rarely more than twice on each side in one set. After that, they tend to feel pretty loose.

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try before your century, in addition to what everyone else suggests.

Jenn

Too Tall
09-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Get thee to a yoga class.

Tailwinds
09-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Get thee to a yoga class.

+1