PDA

View Full Version : washington riders: mt baker ride 542

jimcav
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
anyone going, and anyone know a good spot to stay nearer the start than bellingham?
thanks

Frank Draper
09-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Snowater in Glacier.

imp25rs
09-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I haven't heard of the ride before. When and where is it?

jimcav
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
http://www.norkarecreation.com/hcinfo.htm

was fun last year, good cause, scenic as all get out, etc. pricey now as late reg is more expensive--goes to a good cause though.

jim

jimcav
09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Snowater in Glacier.
but online info has 2 night minimum--i just need saturday night.

imp25rs
09-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a beautiful ride for a good cause. The one problem I have with it is knowing that some of my donation or entry fee would go to purchasing "Green Tags" so that the ride can be "carbon neutral". Since when does buying some BS tags cause your car (support vehicles for the ride) to polute less? I am all for taking care of the environment, but that alone is enough for me to not participate. I would rather donate the amount of the entry fee to the cancer foundation and do the ride some other weekend.

Sorry for raining on anyone parade, but this stuff drives me nuts. :crap:

jimcav
09-06-2007, 02:38 AM
cash for someone else's carbon reduction. it is not that your car or whatever pollutes less, it is you are buying someone else's reduction to offset not reducing yourself. carbon trading or whatever it is called gives incentive to some to reduce--they get hte cash, and for htose unable or unwilling ot reduce for whatever reason, they pay those who can/do
or something like that.

i'm buying a jersey i don't need too, figure most goes to a worthy cause.

Ozz
09-06-2007, 08:09 AM
My riding buddy has done it a couple times and found it a pretty fun ride. I am not sure if he is doing it this year...I think he registered, but was not sure if his schedule would work....I'll find out.

My fitness has dropped preciptiously since June, so I will not be riding this event...

imp25rs
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
cash for someone else's carbon reduction. it is not that your car or whatever pollutes less, it is you are buying someone else's reduction to offset not reducing yourself. carbon trading or whatever it is called gives incentive to some to reduce--they get hte cash, and for htose unable or unwilling ot reduce for whatever reason, they pay those who can/do
or something like that.

i'm buying a jersey i don't need too, figure most goes to a worthy cause.

Right, so YOU can pay someone else who isn't poluting as much so that YOU can feel better. That is just stupid to me. Just don't polute as much if it is that important to YOU. I have started riding my bicycle more so I am not driving my car as much. I am not asking anyone to pay me for it, I am just doing it because I want to do my part.

It is a general "you" not any specific person by the way. Nothing against Jimcav.

Ozz
09-06-2007, 10:36 AM
...Just don't polute as much if it is that important to YOU. I have started riding my bicycle more so I am not driving my car as much. I am not asking anyone to pay me for it, I am just doing it because I want to do my part.....

Microsoft & F5 Networks to expand in Seattle (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20617649/)

Heres the part I like:

"The company said its new corporate facilities along Elliott Avenue West will include a gym with shower and locker facilities, secured bicycle racks and towel service. To cut down on traffic congestion, F5 also said it is offering a $300 a month stipend to those who walk, bike or take public transportation to work. A $200 a month stipend will be offered to those who car pool."

Once instance does not make a trend...but I am hopeful. :beer:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.... :fight:

jimcav
09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Right, so YOU can pay someone else who isn't poluting as much so that YOU can feel better. That is just stupid to me. Just don't polute as much if it is that important to YOU. I have started riding my bicycle more so I am not driving my car as much. I am not asking anyone to pay me for it, I am just doing it because I want to do my part.

It is a general "you" not any specific person by the way. Nothing against Jimcav.
I was always annoyed folks at my last job got "paid" to take the metro, etc, others got preferred parking for car pools--i was told i could not bring my 3k bike into the building at first--i ended up using an inconvenient entrance.

On the whole, i think green or energy "credits" a good thing to get people, who might otherwise not do it, to do it. It would be a lot better if folks did it to help the environment, etc. But a guy on my street has a hummer because he gets that business tax deduction for the vehicle weighing over 6k pounds or whatever.

money makes it all go round--which is why i ride on $1200 fulcrums (well, bought used on ebay, but still)--feels so good having that go round and round underneath me instead of up into the air.
jim

mjb266
09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I live 20 minutes away and can help with housing if anyone needs a floor/futon to crash on. The ride is epic and with the weather forcasted it may be even better than last year.

mjb266
09-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Do the rec category and just cruise up nice and slow. It's worth it for the ride back down and the comaradarie on the way up.

That and you'll get to watch someone beak the record this year.

My riding buddy has done it a couple times and found it a pretty fun ride. I am not sure if he is doing it this year...I think he registered, but was not sure if his schedule would work....I'll find out.

My fitness has dropped preciptiously since June, so I will not be riding this event...

Ozz
09-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Do the rec category and just cruise up nice and slow. It's worth it for the ride back down and the comaradarie on the way up.

That and you'll get to watch someone beak the record this year.
It's also the day of my son's first soccer game....since I'm also the coach, I kinda hafta be there.... :cool:

It is a cool ride (so I've heard) and I hope to do it someday (soon).....

mjb266
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
You can crash at my place any time...same goes for snowboarding/skiing