PDA

View Full Version : life span of hubs

Marcusaurelius
09-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know roughly how many miles modern campagnolo and shimano are expected to last?

(I remember reading somewhere the new hubs are supposed to last 20,000 miles but I'm not sure)

thwart
09-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Campy hubs: Many miles of bliss, followed by a deeply therapeutic and successful rebuild.

Shimano hubs: Work OK, but somehow leave plastic taste in mouth. Disposable.

:D ;)

Big Dan
09-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Campy hubs: Many miles of bliss, followed by a deeply therapeutic and successful rebuild.

Shimano hubs: Work OK, but somehow leave plastic taste in mouth. Disposable.

:D ;)

Keep drinking your kool aid buddy....
I've lost count of how many Campag cones and axles I had to trash....

:eek:

ergott
09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
If you take care of them, they will last longer than you;-) Parts are cheap to maintain.

Louis
09-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Parts are cheap to maintain.

This is a joke, right?

The prices on Campy replacement parts are outrageous.

Louis

gdw
09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
20,000+ of hard riding on a set of Shimano XTR m950's. Take care of them and they just keep going.

stevep
09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
shimano makes the best hubs...by a mile.

ditto the 20k above.

musgravecycles
09-05-2007, 07:19 PM
For the most part I'm a Campy guy, but I'll take Shimano hubs over Campy any day.

Fill 'em with Phil grease and you just can't kill them...

rustychisel
09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I have a pair of Sovos hubs (dirt cheap) one one fixed gear bike that are nearing 26 years old, but they've only done maybe 10,000 miles all up. I also have a pair of Shimano 600 which are but a few years younger and they've done 25,000 miles and been rebuilt to fixed gear usage. Like the man said, look after them and you'll wear out more rims than you can remember.

With modern hubs there is no logical reason to expect a quality pair to give less in the way of mileage or longevity.

OperaLover
09-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Top of the line Shimano hubs (DA, XTR, even XT) are generally of great quality (polished races, quality cones) and they will last forever with proper adjustment. I got some DA 7403 series hubs that have been repacked numerous times, now I just inject new grease and go. Same with the old loose ball BBs, keep them adjusted and they will not die. The lower end shimano hubs are not quite up to snuff particularly the cones.

Campy hubs on the other hand seem to have the same quality across the entire line (particularly the pre 2007 when the centaur went to cartidrdge bearings) seems like the same quality cones and polished races no matter what name was on the shell.

My .02.

regularguy412
09-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I have over 25,000 miles on a set of Ultegra hubs. The rear started making noise. Repacked it -- noise still there. Decided it was the rim,, but now that set has been retired.

I repack my hubs minimum once a year. Way back when I only had one set of wheels (and one bike), I repacked 2x per year.

Mike in AR

jhcakilmer
09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
For the most part I'm a Campy guy, but I'll take Shimano hubs over Campy any day.

Fill 'em with Phil grease and you just can't kill them...

Dude you disappointed me, I thought for sure you'd put in a plug for Phil Hubs..... ;)

Marcusaurelius
09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Too Tall
09-06-2007, 07:11 AM
You get the idea now Marcus...basically as long as you care to own them ;)
FWIIW I cut up alot of wrecked wheels that get left behind at my house/shop when working on bikes for others. The hubs I've saved get recycled into new wheesets for the most part. This is the honest truth, I've NEVER seen a worn out hub. Sure I've replaced lots of bearings and replaced freehubs etc. but never never seen an ultegra/chorus or better hub that was just plain done.

musgravecycles
09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Dude you disappointed me, I thought for sure you'd put in a plug for Phil Hubs..... ;)

The OP asked specifically about Shimano/Campy hubs bro...

Edit: Which has nothing to do with the fact that I've seen many Phil hubs with an excess of 50K (several approaching 75K) miles on them.
;)